Residing in the Philippines

I read the stories about folks obtaining their resident visa to the Philippines.  I wonder if anyone can tell me the straight scoop about getting a resident visa.  My situation:  I was born in Manila, lived there until my 2nd year of high school...then moved to California.  Since I was deemed to be a U.S. citizen at birth there was no problem obtaining my U.S. passport.  My father was a U.S. citizen also born in the Philippines...derived from his father who was born in the U.S.  My upbringing and schooling is Filipino, speak, read and write fluent Tagalog as well as Ilonggo...yet the Philippine Consulate of San Francisco tells me that I am not eligible for dual citizenship nor even eligible for Balikbayan visa!  My mother is Filipina...born and raised in the Philippines.  I remember, a few years back when I was stationed in Japan (with the U.S. government) and went on leave to visit the Philippines.  I didn't obtain a visa...as I knew I could get one upon arrival at NAIA.  Sure enough, when I went through Philippine Immigration at the airport, and was asked my purpose in visiting the Philippines, I replied in Tagalog:
"Balikbayan po ako."  He checked my U.S. passport...which showed that I was born in Manila...and he promptly stamped a Balikbayan visa on my passport...welcomed me...and went on my way.  I remained in the Philippines more than a month but could have stayed a year if I wanted to. But now, the Philippine Consulate tells me I am not even eligible for Balikbayan visa!
  Anyone out there know what options I have to return to my country of birth...and live there permanently?  Kung sino man ang may alam na makakapayo sa akin, maraming salamat! 

FStraight
[email protected]

im not pinoy buy your case sounds crazy please let me know the outcome,its really a shame they dont let you go back as a citizen,im confused ?

I'm confused also.  But I will keep trying.  I have a cousin who retired in the U.S. and is in the same situation as I am...yet he went back there to retire...and he has been in Manila more than 10 years already.  Maybe I should ask him how he did it.  But what the Philippine Consulate told me is really puzzling.  Oh well....if I don't get to retire in my country of birth...I'll just go to Spain.  I already know they will welcome me there.  Thank you for your concern.

try the usa consulate becaause it doesnt make sense what they are doing to you.

The USA consulate has no part in what the Philippine Consulate decides.  All they'll do is refer me to the nearest Philippine Consulate.  I already communicated with another Philippine Consulate...in Los Angeles just to check if their opinion is different.  Never heard back from them.  I'm exploring other options.

hi,..i was hoping for a reply on my message but anyway, here's my opinion on this....  it might be that it has sonething to do on how you were brought there... and also the decisions that may have occured during your early years of stay there and since you are still a minor those days, your parents may have decided for you... maybe giving up your Filipino citizenship... that decisi0n may have depended on what was the law on how l0ng you should stay for you to bec0me a US citizen... might want to check on those... :)

one m0re thing. US states have different laws. it might be different on an0ther state, try it out... although we all kn0w that it is the same office, there are chances that they follow a different set of rules. San Francisco and LA...both in CA..you said right n0w you are in WA if mem0ry serves me c0rrectly based on our conversati0n, try to ask there. take care man

My reply to lekyam1118 and everyone who responded:  Thank you.  I think you're getting close but not quite. I researched this further...and I think, the rationale is that I acquired U.S. citizenship at birth...in the Philipppines.  It is derivative...that means, my father, although he was also born in the Philippines, was a U.S. citizen (even though at that time, he has never been to the U.S.)...also derived from his father, who was born in the U.S. and went to the Philippines as a soldier.
  OK...regardless of applicable laws at the time, those children of U.S. citizens born in the Philippines were deemed Filipino citizens.  That's why my birth certificate shows- Citizen:  Filipino.  That was probably an error...but who's got time to check?
  Some 10 years later, my father registered me (as he did with his other children, my siblings)as a U.S. citizen with the U.S. Embassy.  That's how I was able to acquire a U.S. Passport before I even went to the U.S.
  That is why, since I was NOT NATURALIZED....I was really, never a Filipino citizen at any time at all!  I have always been a U.S. citizen.
  Here's another interesting case:  My cousin, the son of my father's sister, born in the Philippines, also acquired his U.S. citizenship at birth...through his mother.  Although she too, was born in the Philippines, her father, who was born in the U.S., passed on his citizenship to her...and subsequently, all her children born in the Philippines....except those born during a particular period where not legally considered U.S. citizens.  Those children, who later emigrated to the U.S., had to go through all the residency requirements and naturalization process to become U.S. citizens.  They...then would be eligible, according to Philippine Consulate...since they were formerly Filipino citizens by law...and later were naturalized as U.S. citizens. Just as with my eldest brother, because he was born outside the required period to be considered as U.S. citizen...was in fact, and by law, really born a Filipino citizen.  He had to emigrate to the U.S. and go through the naturalization process to become a U.S. citizen.
  Because this cousin is a U.S. citizen all the time he was growing up in the Philippines, he was able to join the U.S. Air Force in the Philippines when he was of age.  He remained in the U.S. Air Force for more than 20 years and subsequently retired in the U.S.  Because my cousin acquired his U.S. citizenship at birth and was NOT NATURALIZED...he therefore, is in the same situation as I am.  Yet, after he retired from the U.S. Air Force he returned to the Philippines, obtained permanent residency...and he is still there to this day enjoying his retirement.  How he was able to obtain permanent residency is something I am not sure of.  I suppose, anyone, with the proper documentation can obtain permanent residency in the Philipppines.
   It may be possible for me to petition for dual citizenship through my mother...who was born in the Philippines and was in fact, a Filipina citizen until she emigrated to the U.S. and years later, became naturalized as U.S. citizen.  But I can't do it simply on having been born in the Philippines. I suppose I can do what other U.S. citizens have done in the Philippines...just apply for residency. Phew!  I hope my explanation is clear.

Good luck,thats why i will not apply for double citizenship!

whoa... history---complicates things when future asks for it. m0st likely,ganun na nga kasi iba iba ang mga nilalabas na law at magulo no0n. edi apply for a working visa tapos once your here, apply ka fil citizen. sigurado naman approve yun... tagalog pa lang pinoy na, may birthcert ka pa..

Im not pinoy ill just enter as us citizen and travel back and forth.

All:  Yun na nga...mabuti punta na lang doon magbakasyon.  Gaya nang ginagawa ng isang pinsan ko...nasa 'Pinas siya ngayon.  Ang ginagawa niya punta siya doon...sabihin lang daw niya na sa Immigration Officer sa NAIA airport na balikbayan siya...tatakan ang passport niya ng 1 year visa.  Pagna expire na ang visa...lipad siya sa Hong Kong o kaya Guam...overnight siya doon, tapos balik...panibagong tatak ng visa na naman.  Ganoon lang ang ginagawa niya...pabalik balik lang siya...sampung taon na niya ginagawa ng ganoon.  Oops!  Sorry lang Borilove.  You said you are not pinoy.  Should I assume you don't understand Tagalog?  If so...my apologies...I got carried away.  I missed speaking (and writing) Tagalog so much...that whenever I get a chance to communicate with someone who does...I get carried away.  That settles that...no need to try for dual citizenship anymore.  Maybe I should talk to NoyNoy (the President, sino pa?)...he is a ka-probinsiya of my grandmother.  Could even be a distant relative.

Dear members,

As this is the anglophone forum could you please post in English?

Thanks
Armand

Well im very universal,sorry i cant translate to all.

I know, sorry.  I just got reprimanded by someone for writing in Tagalog.  He is right...this is an English language forum and should remain that way.  As I explained...I simply got carried away.

Its ok kindness is the same in any language.

:D LOL! Laughing my fat a** out.... even commented... well, by any chance who's coming over?

@ FCStraight... Do you have or can you get a nso birth certificate?

FCStraight wrote:

My reply to lekyam1118 and everyone who responded:  Thank you.  I think you're getting close but not quite. I researched this further...and I think, the rationale is that I acquired U.S. citizenship at birth...in the Philipppines.  It is derivative...that means, my father, although he was also born in the Philippines, was a U.S. citizen (even though at that time, he has never been to the U.S.)...also derived from his father, who was born in the U.S. and went to the Philippines as a soldier.
  OK...regardless of applicable laws at the time, those children of U.S. citizens born in the Philippines were deemed Filipino citizens.  That's why my birth certificate shows- Citizen:  Filipino.  That was probably an error...but who's got time to check?
  Some 10 years later, my father registered me (as he did with his other children, my siblings)as a U.S. citizen with the U.S. Embassy.  That's how I was able to acquire a U.S. Passport before I even went to the U.S.
  That is why, since I was NOT NATURALIZED....I was really, never a Filipino citizen at any time at all!  I have always been a U.S. citizen.
  Here's another interesting case:  My cousin, the son of my father's sister, born in the Philippines, also acquired his U.S. citizenship at birth...through his mother.  Although she too, was born in the Philippines, her father, who was born in the U.S., passed on his citizenship to her...and subsequently, all her children born in the Philippines....except those born during a particular period where not legally considered U.S. citizens.  Those children, who later emigrated to the U.S., had to go through all the residency requirements and naturalization process to become U.S. citizens.  They...then would be eligible, according to Philippine Consulate...since they were formerly Filipino citizens by law...and later were naturalized as U.S. citizens. Just as with my eldest brother, because he was born outside the required period to be considered as U.S. citizen...was in fact, and by law, really born a Filipino citizen.  He had to emigrate to the U.S. and go through the naturalization process to become a U.S. citizen.
  Because this cousin is a U.S. citizen all the time he was growing up in the Philippines, he was able to join the U.S. Air Force in the Philippines when he was of age.  He remained in the U.S. Air Force for more than 20 years and subsequently retired in the U.S.  Because my cousin acquired his U.S. citizenship at birth and was NOT NATURALIZED...he therefore, is in the same situation as I am.  Yet, after he retired from the U.S. Air Force he returned to the Philippines, obtained permanent residency...and he is still there to this day enjoying his retirement.  How he was able to obtain permanent residency is something I am not sure of.  I suppose, anyone, with the proper documentation can obtain permanent residency in the Philipppines.
   It may be possible for me to petition for dual citizenship through my mother...who was born in the Philippines and was in fact, a Filipina citizen until she emigrated to the U.S. and years later, became naturalized as U.S. citizen.  But I can't do it simply on having been born in the Philippines. I suppose I can do what other U.S. citizens have done in the Philippines...just apply for residency. Phew!  I hope my explanation is clear.

Yes, I have a copy certified & signed by a registration officer of the census bureau in Manila.  I don't think it is an NSO copy however.  But certified nonetheless.  Does it have to be NSO?

Yes it needs to be a NSO authenticated copy of your birth certificate....If you have that you are good to go, sign an oath,etc...Check the Philippine Immigration website for "dual citizenship" or the law office of chanrobles   

MEMORANDUM CIRCULAR NO. AFF-04-01
(RULES IMPLEMENTING REPUBLIC ACT NO. 9225)
RULES ON PHILIPPINE  DUAL CITIZENSHIP

Thanks.  I'll look it up.  I suppose I'll have to go to Manila to get the NSO copy.  Might as well...need a vacation anyway.