Some relocation advice!

Hey guys! :)

So, my husband and I have been to Puerto Rico several times and we've fallen in love. This immediately jumps to the conversation "Hey! Why don't we just move there...?"

I'd love any advice any of you could give:

The details:

-We have a 5 year old son.
-My husband would have to look for work, but I work virtually w/ a $36,000/yr salary. Is this enough to live on for awhile?

Thanks in advance! :)

jenngerstenberger wrote:

I work virtually w/ a $36,000/yr salary. Is this enough to live on for awhile?

Yes, you guys could live on that. If you don't have any expensive hobbies or needs you could live that for a long time. Most families here have less to spend.

Any idea where on the island you would want to live? Do you guys speak Spanish?

Thanks for the reply Gary!

That's really good to hear. I'm not really 100% on which part of the island I'd like to live, really. We're in the early stages, haha! Open to suggestions!

We've vacationed in San Juan (probably a bit too expensive for my tastes but I'm sure the best area for jobs) and Fajardo.

I speak... broken Spanish. But this is something I would learn before I left. Why make life any harder?

jenngerstenberger wrote:

That's really good to hear. I'm not really 100% on which part of the island I'd like to live, really. We're in the early stages, haha! Open to suggestions!

It depends what you like, of course.
In the Metro Area (greater San Juan) is where most jobs are and you'll find more English speakers there. It's also more expensive to live

You may want to check out the west coast. F.i. Rincon is a pretty laid back town where many (US) expats live. Close to the beach, really nice!

The cheapest places to live are in the interior. You'll find less people who speak English there and to go to a beach you'll have to drive 30 minutes or more.

I'd suggest to come over for a couple of weeks and spend some time in areas where you may want to live.

jenngerstenberger wrote:

I speak... broken Spanish. But this is something I would learn before I left. Why make life any harder?

Right, if you wanna live here it sure helps if you speak Spanish.