Moving to Hurghada

Hello I am looking to move out to Hurghada with my husband and 16 year old daughter....my daughter needs to go to attend further education from September this year...I believe this will have to be in Cairo.

I want to rent somewhere in Hurghada before we buy....I would quite like to buy a house in the Freedom 7 area.....I need to get work too...possibly as a training manager in a hotel....can anyone help and advise me what steps I should be taking please?

And what about your daughter? She will be living alone in Cairo? That is not normal in Egypt at all! Also education is expensive in Egypt.

I want to know what is best for her....I have been told she will have to study in Cairo

What do you suggest I do

Hello Caroparr,

I'm sure - there are so many options to rent in Hurghada - depending on location & size... Studio (for a long term) - starting from 800 LE per month.

As long as you are looking for Freedom 7 area - why not to rent in El Gouna (15 min. driving from Freedom 7)? At least you'll be in a very nice surrounding with plenty of activities' options, clean, green, well secured etc. There are 15 hotels over here - probably you could contact the GM's and present your CV?...

Freedom 7 (= Mubarak 7) - prices to BUY are different and depend on: finished or not / land - registered or not / size - complete villa, half villa or apartment etc. Just to give you an idea - half villa (NOT finished) is about 500.000 LE, while the other half of the same villa finished (5 bedrooms, garden, registered land, completely furnished / European standards) - 320.000 USD. Nice 2-bedroom apartment with private pool - about 65-70.000 EURO.

I think for you daughter at this age - the education' options are far much better in Cairo vs. Red sea area.

Just a few ideas before you'll make a decision.

Kind regards,

Elena

Hi there , my name is Samer i live here for so long time , and my advise to you only start with rent apartment and after you can decide yourself where you can buy , first you can start live here and you will understand how life go on after this you can understand better the prices and areas yourself ,about your Daughter is the same age like my son so he has his study in Hurghada we have so many deffrent schools, if you need any help you contact me through my mail ([email protected] ) .
    Samer

El Gouna school goes to year 13 (A level) but is expensive! A-levels are not necessary for most studies in Egypt.
There is no university in Hurghada, so she has to go to Cairo for that, but you can't let her live on her own in Cairo, specially because she is a female AND she is not used to live in Cairo/Egypt!
Also what does she like to study? BTW the AUC and the BUE have accommodation, but the tuition fees are high!

My daughter is almost 17 and she will go to university next year, but she has lived almost her whole life in Egypt (the last five years of that we have lived in Cairo) and still she will not be living on her own. (she is half Egyptian and speaks Arabic very well)

Some universities have accommodation, but I advice you to visit the university and the accomodation or you can consider living in Cairo until she has finished her university.
I think you have to do more research, about schools/universities in Egypt etc.

@Samer: what will your son do after finishing his school?

Thank you so much for all your help....I will submit my CV to all I can....but I am worried for my daughters education...there seems to be people who are mixed about my daughter going to Cairo.

Thank you.....I am gathering as much information for my daughter as possible...that is so important to me.

Thank you Samer...I will contact you via hotmail.

What will you do if you can't find a job? The company who hires you has to apply for a work permit, which are expensive and hard to get, otherwise you will be working illegally (as many do), but there can be consequences for doing that.

I will not move out untiL I have a job....we may start our own business providing we pass all the criteria....we may return to England from May until September...we have a good business here....just trying to find out all at the moment...you are very helpful and I thank you for that.

Hi
you may find a job - but to start your own business over here right now is a bit risky - the economics are too unstable.

ALso your daughter - she is at the age of diung her A levels.
In cairo there are international schools that teach the british syllabus - but not sure in the area you are looking.
Going to an Egyptian school is not the thing to do - she can't speak / write arabic - and also the syllabus will not be british.
The University?
Where.
The better education - accepted everywhere - is the UK.
High level students here at 18 go off to study in the UK /US universities rather than stay here becasue of the level of excellence and acceptance of the degrees.
Leave you daughter to stay by herself in Cairo - no way!!
SHe is young, relatively unexperienced (she is only 16) and would be a fine target.
ANd as has already been pointed out young girls here in Egypt are not left by themselves to live - and if you are honest you wouldn't do it in the UK at 16!
16 is teh wrong time in her education to move and could have long lasting consequences for her.

It is almost impossible to get a job in Egypt applying from abroad, unless it is an engineering position or senior manager with a multinational company. Otherwise you will have to apply in person.

Most hotels in Hurghada are looking for people speaking German and Russian.

Living a 16 years old girl alone in Cairo, with no experience about the area, is beyond risky.

You might not be aware of the increasing violence against women, and sexual assaults happening in the capital. IT is not safe for an adult female, imagine a teenager.

Furthermore at 16, your daughter still need parental guidance, how can you think to leave her alone, when you say you want what is best for her?

Thank you...for your response..

Please let me tell you something, which I hope you find very helpful.  I have travelled many parts of Egypt over the last 10 years. On my first trip to Cairo, a man just walked up to me and groped me on the boobs and then run off. I was dressed as to custom as in covering my body as I was there to have operation. I lived in Sharm el Sheikh and would strongly recommend that you do not leave your child alone anywhere in Egypt. I am a single British woman and have encountered many issues with the men in this Country. Not just tourism areas. Rent a property in Hurghada, keep your daughter with you at all times and for her education either finish it in the UK or rent in Cairo with her. If you want any more information please contact me at: [email protected]. Good luck for your future, wishing you all the very best. :)