Saigon or HCMC? Why not just one or the other?

I know I'm new here but I'm wondering why have 2 separate sections? Not a question about which is more proper to use. :)

HCMC section gets more activity. Hoping this thread doesn't go off topic political like the previous ones...

Phi Long wrote:

HCMC section gets more activity. Hoping this thread doesn't go off topic political like the previous ones...

Agreed, last time this was asked many repliers did not understand the question. Some extremely rude replies from a very active member here, were moderated and are now gone. The OP has not has not posted since. What does VIP stand for on this forum, very ignorant person?
:rolleyes:

VTD,
You ask a valid question that I have never heard the answer to. I have previously asked forum admin to clarify and got no reply, I guess that's just the way it is. I read post from all VN locations. 

Phi Long & Fonz,
yes, last time it was ugly

Maybe if the title of the topic thread was more specific, such as "Saigon forum or HCMC forum? Why not just one or the other?", there would be less chance for misunderstanding, and you may get more appropriate answers. Personally, I have no idea why there are two separate sections.

VTD that's a easy one. The People that live in Saigon post in Saigon, the one's that live in HCMC post in HCMC. Aren't they the same city you might suggest, not if you ask them. I chose to post all mine in the Vietnam section like most people do, less complicated.

Budman1 wrote:

VTD that's a easy one. The People that live in Saigon post in Saigon, the one's that live in HCMC post in HCMC. Aren't they the same city you might suggest, not if you ask them.

Ahh, the "Tale of Two Cities" rewrite.

They've been promising to combine the two from as long as i can remember...which is not very long then again.

The guy in charge is wise. It's a no win situation, and the best way to handle it is to do what he's doing. It'll go away, just have to wait it out when a new member questions it.

Budman1 wrote:

The guy in charge is wise. It's a no win situation, and the best way to handle it is to do what he's doing. It'll go away, just have to wait it out when a new member questions it.

Hi Budman,
I'm not sure if he is that wise. Look at the destination choices. Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Hoi An, Nha Trang, Saigon. Why Hoi An, population about 125,000. Nha Trang, population about 400,000. Why not Hai Phong, pop. 1.8 mil or Can Tho pop. 1.2 mil or Da Nang pop. about 900,000. To avoid controversy, I think the wise thing would be to change the category to Saigon / HCMC. Just my 2 cents worth.

Lydo, I hear you but don't have a good answer. A lot of the old timers still here have PM him in the past with suggestions, and well it's his website and I think a pretty good one. I would dump all the destinations and leave it at just Vietnam.

Dear VungtauDon,
In fact the two names are the same. HCMC is the current name and Saigon was the name of the city from 19s and people are used to it.

I know that, i was just curious why they were listed as 2 separate destinations. Doesn't really matter any more as I just generally view the whole Vietnam forum anyway.

I see. It may be a mistake. I am a local and I think it should be HCMC/Saigon.
Regards,