Ecuador "in the news" around the world

I thought it would be good to share a daily or weekly update of Ecuadaor in the news around the world.

If anyone would like to help out, most welcome to. :)

Here is this weeks news:

70-year-old woman jailed in Ecuador after LAN airlines mistake
The Washington Times Online Edition - by Jacquie Kubin

QUITO, Ecuador—An American senior citizen on a flight to South America was seized and jailed by Ecuador immigration authorities after arriving there for a vacation.

To continue story, click here: --> Continue here

Now Landing In Ecuador: Johnny Rockets
PRNewswire

Two Restaurants Open Simultaneously at Quito's New Mariscal Sucre International Airport

ALISO VIEJO, Calif., Feb. 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Arriving on schedule at the New Mariscal Sucre International Airport in Quito's Tababela parish are two Johnny Rockets restaurants,

Ecuador Implements Food Price Controls
Latin American Herald Trubune

QUITO – The Ecuadorian government decreed the implementation of price controls on 46 food products – including assorted fruits and vegetables, meat, milk and eggs

Australian foreign minister: Extradition of Julian Assange to U.S. a 'sheer fantasy'
By Agence France-Presse - Monday, February 25, 2013

Australian Foreign Minister Bob Carr has dismissed as “fantasy” claims by WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange that Sweden's case against him is a conspiracy to have him extradited to the United States.

Ecuador Underlines Iran's Crucial Role in Regional, Int'l Developments
Fars News Agency
TEHRAN (FNA)- Ecuador's newly appointed Envoy to Tehran Umberto Vinuesa Rodriguez underscored Tehran's influential role in regional and international developments, and called for expansion of bilateral ties between the two friendly countries in all arenas.

Ecuador's Paraplegic Vice President Lenin Moreno a Major Force for Disability Rights
By John Otis ⋅ February 11, 2013 ⋅ TheWorld

Lenin Moreno was once a wealthy businessman and politician. But in 1998, he was shot in the back as gunmen stole his car from a parking lot in Quito. He was paralyzed from the waist down. Moreno overcame intense pain and bouts of depression to become a motivational speaker. He's written books about the healing power of laughter.

Neighbor: Ecuador lures couple
By Kaley Kalil - 03/07/2013 - Arcadia News

Nicholas and Mercedes Crowder have lived in Arcadia since 1983, when they moved here after attempting to start a manufacturer's representative business in Ecuador.

Peru foreign minister to attend human rights meeting in Ecuador
By ANDINA

Lima, Mar. 09 (ANDINA). Peruvian Minister of Foreign Affairs Rafael Roncagliolo will travel to Ecuador on March 11 to attend the Conference of States Parties to the American Convention on Human Rights, also known as Pact of San Jose.

Sort of a fluff piece ghost written by IL, but interesting:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/retire … genumber=1

P.S.  The comments can be the most entertaining aspect!

SawMan wrote:

Sort of a fluff piece ghost written by IL, but interesting:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/retire … genumber=1

P.S.  The comments can be the most entertaining aspect!

Amazing what passes for news now days.  Comments are the best, 48 year old teachers "retiring". The article is telling you social security benefits are not taxable in Ecuador, but not mentioning that for a couple in the USA over 65 the social security benefits are only taxable in low percentages depending on your other income, that said couple can have $22,400 in non social security benefits income and pay no tax on the $22,400 and no tax on the social security benefits.
     Love how they brag about the low other taxes except value added taxes. They don't bother telling you that the low taxes are why "the cops don't need you, and man they expect the same."
(Bob Dylan "Just Like Tom Thumb Blues")

It does annoy me however when comments are made about expats being targets of petty crimes (true).  Let's not lose context here folks.  Was it Ecuador or the United States where (i) three abducted women lived in captivity for over ten years, (ii) a couple of whackos bombed the Boston Marathon crowd, and (iii) a teenager fired randomly at a Mother's Day parade in New Orleans.  Yea, let's stay in the U.S. where we don't have petty crime!

I agree

Ecuador in the news.  A certain "reporter` was kicked out of the Ecuador embassy in UK.  Heard reports he had a stinky cat, did not pay for his WiFi and was known to skateboard in the hallways.  Only took 7 years to wear out his welcome.

Do you always respond to 6 year old threads?  Were you in a coma for that time and just woke up, LOL.

Mr A's adventures in that embassy have put the country back into the news in a big way.
Reports from the embassy suggest A conducted a smear campaign, but they failed to mention whether the *** he smeared on the walls was his or or his cat's.
Old thread, true, but interesting to read a little historical news so thanks for bumping it.

Why would it matter where the poop came from? Where it went is the only important thing imo.

Bigbrad2008 wrote:

Why would it matter where the poop came from? Where it went is the only important thing imo.

Much as the smearing is a large issue, the background of any story is important and rather changes the context. However, we are still unsure if the smearing is just a smear or the truth.

Why would the origin of the poop change the contest? If true, it is equally bad no matter where it came from. Are you prejudice against cats? Are you saying there shit don't stink lol.

It makes a difference as to how filthy he is or, if the story is a smear job, if he's filthy at all.
The degree is decided upon by quantity and origin, the latter being worse if he produced the excrement himself.
As for cats - I hate the nasty furballs to the point I don't cry when I squash one with my car.

Disagree snearing poop on the wall is equally filthy for either origin. Please tell me what poop is less filthy to smear. Lol

Well, if it was from the cat, did he wait for natural excretion, or did he use a hacksaw?
The latter would clearly be far more disgusting.

Cats shit in a box, go to the box.

Please insert head into orifice where your intelligence originates.   I would be happy to loan you a shoehorn.

No, I would only call on you to borrow your Vaseline. So mature not.

His hacking buddies cyber-attacked some websites in Ecuador. It's rather pathetic especially because a website associated with education was hacked. 

Although my credit card didn't go through in one transaction, today, but it's probably not related.  :D

BTW, some Ecuadorians are not following this story at all. We have a holiday coming up next week so that's definitely bigger news.

WikiLeaks, leaked emails, collusion delusion is a big deal. And it will get worse