So how about books?

Reading on DR1 I've gotten the impression that not only are books very expensive, they're also hard to get your hands on. Is this true? When I was in DR I didn't have time (and really didn't even think about) checking for books.

We love to read and I could read in Spanish if that's all that's available, but are there really no english books available, or are they just really expensive?

//Jennifer

Books are expensive and very few places have books in English. There are lots of places that will "swap" books or have used English language books for sale.
Most of us have gotten around this by having electronic books like Nook or Kindle. These you can buy your books on line and just down load them

Bob K

Thanks Bob K, I was afraid of this. I still can't get used to reading on Nook or Ipad... Guess most of our luggage will be books then :)

Books in Spanish are also expensive?

It does take getting used to and I am an old codger who does not taket to change well. But once I got used to my Nook I cann't figure out how i lived with out one.

Bob K

Sounds like I'll have to get used to a book or kindle then..
thanks Bob! :)

JenniferL wrote:

Sounds like I'll have to get used to a book or kindle then..
thanks Bob! :)

I am an avid reader as well. Unless you are in or around resorts or areas of expats it is tough to get English books.

I have had my kindle now 2 years and do not know how I lived without it!!!!! I love my kindle.  It takes a bit of getting used to but it is worth it! Now I can get almost any book I want any time I want it.

Buenas Jennifer.

The book thing is hard they are premium items for sure so they will cost. Los privones hang at the book stores a lot so they figure they can get much higher price lol. I have vimenca pac, which is am importer of things from the usa such as books if you desire or clothes whatever you want. So I guess if you really wanted to get some books you like check online sign up for vimenca pac (Free to sign up) and have them shipped they have pretty cheap prices I have imported a lot of things  that way. Hope you find a solution if not ipad might be the easier way.

The problem with buying anything from outside here and shipping in is the cost of shipping.  With almost all shipping you pay by the pound and books are going to cost $$$.

True but if your buying used books in good condition from the states at a good price its still cheaper then a book here at a book store. Vimenca has very good prices I use it all the time. Still the best bet is probably ipad books. There are a million different ways people get things into the country so there is always some type of option. Just gotta do it Dominican style.....

Planner, thank yoi, it really sounds like I'll need to get my hands on one of those then!  We'll be living in StoDgo so I guess there will be no books for me. Spanish books are expensive too then? What's the difference between a Nook and a Kindle?

No we won't be importing stuff, but thanks mark4604 :) books are really the only thing I won't be able to get my hands on but I'd rather get a Nook/Kindle later on and see if friends and family won't be nice enough to bring some books or us when they visit :) we need to do that anyway so that our son can have books in Swedish.

And I lived shopping for clothes in sto.dfo, everything fits better fr some reason!

Oops sorry for all the typos! Not the easiest thing to write with a sick, sleeping baby on your arm. I heard both Kindle and Nook were easier to read books on than the iPad?

Hi jennifer. My advice to you is, If you do not already have a tablet, get a Nexus 7 tablet and download a kindle app, works just like the kindle, but you get the added benefit of an android tablet.  I have an Ipad and I read just fine with the Kindle app.  I have an Amazon account, and as long as you have a wifi connection, the books get sent wirelessly to your device of choice, once it is registered.  If you want to read nook books, there is an app for that too.  There is also the new Ipad mini if size is an issue.  But if it is about choosing just a simple device for reading, then I would say go with the Kindle.  The nook works with Barnes and Noble Books. The Kindle works with Amazon.com.  If you already have an Amazon account, then that is all there is to it.  Hope this info helps and I hope the baby gets well soon.

thanks MASSAGEWIZ! The Kindle sounds like the best option for me then.

Wow, Planner, they really do have almost all books I could be interested in! It really does sound like a great idea... I hate waiting for my books, this way I could get them whenever I want them.

Hi, JenniferL!

I do not live in DR, but live in the island 'next door', Puerto Rico.  Same applies as in receiving books by mail, too expensive, the shipping costs are outrageous.  However, download the Kindle app into an iPad and it will be your life saver as it has been to me! You just browse (in Amazon), shop and immediately the book is in your Cloud ready to pulled from Kindle.  Awwww, one of the best inventions ever!

Good luck and happy reading! :-)

Thanks Lauryburg!

Yes any electronic reader app is going to work for you. I have a Kindle HD - full color. I love this as I can also check my email and surf whenever there is WiFi, so multifunctional for me. 

The biggest test for me was whether I could curl up on the couch and chill with my Kindle! Or on a lounge chair..............  That is why I love my kindle vs reading on my laptop.

How is the baby???

Planner, the baby is totally oblivious to everything mommy and daddy are going through right now lol - I'm blessed that m mom can watch him every now and then so that we can get some work done cleaning out our stuff and deciding what to take with us and not!

Yes! That's why I hate rrading on my laptop, I want to curl up in bed or a sofa and read. Kindle it is :)

Howdy!
My husband and I are passionate about books as well and love to read. We're trying to raise little readers in a place where there isn't a book culture. We'll be opening a community library in coming months, but live in San Francisco de Macoris. Most of DR living is connecting with others. As you build a network of friends, things get easier.
You're welcome to borrow books from us in SFM. We have over 1,000 books in English and Spanish (nothing in Swedish :))--mostly for kids--and are continuing to grow.
Happy moving!
rebecca

Hi Rebecca, thank you!
I think I've heard about te library, you're friends with Mel, right?

Indeed. 'Tis a small expat world we live in. :) Are you on the island yet?

Not yet, sent you a pm :)

Congrats to you in San Francisco de Macoris!!!!  Good for you opening a library!  This country needs more of these!!

Indeed. Thank you for the encouragement. 'Tis a long road ahead! :)

So we finally got an eReader... and couldn't be happier! Don't think my husband will get to use it a lot though! Thanks all for your advice!

You will love it and he will get used to it. I was sure I would not and now I have no idea how I lived with out one.  A hard habit to break was not trying to turn the pages :)

Bob K

Me too Bob!!!!! LOL

I have about a hundred german books sitting in laundry baskets waiting patiently for my return.They are looking for a new home.

The new owner has been ignoring these books and there getting lonely.They want to be held and book marked for all to read.

ANY TAKERS

I'm sure the library in SFM (mentioned in the same thread) would take them :)

You can also just download the apps of Kindle, Kobo (and I imagine Nook as well, I'm just familiar with the first two) for free and you can buy and read books on your desktop, laptop, ipad and most other devices.  But I agree about turning the pages!  Although I would prefer to use a book, these are great alternatives!
I also found a little second hand bookstore in Sosua just behind the Friends of Animals of Sosua Thrift Store on the way to Sosua beach and it had a pretty good selection to chose from.

Yes besides our Nook we have downloaded the app for nook and kindle on our tablet.

Bob K