Hi

Hi everyone
We are going to move Gibraltar in two weeks time because of my husband's job; we will be living in Gibraltar. We have a 5 years old daughter, I am very concerned about her school. Can anyone please advise me what the schools like in Gibraltar ? Plus I am hoping to work too, is it easy to get a job over there?

Many thanks

The schools are fine, many Spaniards pay to get their children educated in Gib.

Work?  it depends on what you can do.

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, sorry to be pain. I understand that she has to have a Gibraltar ID card to start school, but it will take 6-8 weeks to get it.
However, if I pay for the term fee then she can start school straight way and when she finally has her ID card then they will refund it. can anyone please confirm whether is this true?

Hiya,
I moved with my husband and our 7 year old daughter in november 2012. I was so worried about school but really didn't need to be.
When we moved here we went to sort our id cards as soon as my husband had his employment contract and we had a rental agreement of living in Gib, this was only after about a week of being here. Yes they say id cards can take that long but ours took about 3 weeks, after a week i went back to check if they were done and explained my daughter could not start school until we had them, so the lady there gave us photocopies that i took to the education dept to get school sorted, so all in all i think she missed about a month of school, and at the age of 7 i wasn't too worried. We did think about paying but i'm not too sure if you get the money back or not. The school she is at is fine, and ive been told that all the schools here are good.
There are a couple of differences, the next holiday is at the end of March, for Easter then they don't have another holiday until they break up at the start of July for the 8 weeks summer holidays (so no half terms but a few odd days holiday, may day, queens birthday etc) Also mid June the children only go to school in the mornings.

With regards to getting a job i will be honest, i thought i would find a job no problem but i was wrong. It would seem most places are reluctant to take on 'working mums' in case there is a problem with the child, but i have been told places are starting to recruit more now with summer coming up.
Hope this helps and good luck