Pregnant in Phnom Penh

Hello! I'm hoping to move to Phnom Penh to be closer to the father of my child, before I give birth in May. I will need to find somewhere to live, hopefully in a family home, or with a female, who wouldn't mind a newborn baby! I also need to find some kind of work, so was thinking about private tuition, teaching or freelance writing. I'm a Social Anthropology graduate from Cambridge, and my boyfriend is a Khmer guy living in Kampot. I'm looking for a way to bring my baby up, independently, close to his daddy, in a cosmopolitan, multi-cultural environment, whilst pursuing my own interests and career dreams! If you have any advice, let me know. I can't afford to stay in the UK, as I'd be stuck on housing benefit, unable to get a visa for Serey, with little support, and things to do, but I can't just go back to Kampot, as I'd probably not be able to earn enough to look after my baby as I see fit, and would like some independence, not to rely on the salary and family of a tuk-tuk driver! Thank you so much. Emma Louise Loffler
P.S. I'm academic, easy-going, with lots of experience in childcare and education

Emma, this may or may not help or be relevant,but when you get to PP, go to "The Willow PP" hotel(st.21 opposite Sovanna B.B.Q restaurant) and talk to my sister Eliza. She owns the hotel and also teaches at A.C.E. She has a Khmer husband and a beautiful little baby girl.She has been in Cambodia for 6 years and I'm sure would be able to give you some good advice and friendship.Tell her Dave sent you. Best of luck and congratulations on the pregnancy, I hope it all goes well for you.
Dave.
P.S, it may be worthwhile e-mailing her on the hotels website before you come over.

Hello.
I am a boy... but i have 3 kids of 12, 6 and 4 years old at home.
We have a room you could use the time you could find something else.
We are living in a residential compound at 25 minutes from the center of PP.
For most English speaking foreigners, teaching is the easiest way.
Even if you finally stay in another plce, don't hesitte to contact me if you need anything.
Also, keep in mind that good hispitals here are expensive.
Around 2,000 US $ for a normal delivery.

Hi Emma,

I can't help with the housing situation but I might be able to help with the freelance writing side of things. There's an advert on my blog at the moment for writers, if you're interested drop me a line.

Good luck with everything.

Cheers,

Nick

Hi Emma
I lived in PP for a few years.  Message me through my blog spot - michelles-in-cambodia.blogspot.com for some advice. - I am a mum too expecting my second right now.
Good luck!
Michelle

Hi Emma.. I just read your story on the spa blog. I was wondering how the baby was? And if you had found your own independence yet? Curious to know, because you sound quite friendly and outgoing. I am working with a company that is about to open for business in Cambodia. If you would like more information contact me. I will be happy to explain. Penny

Hi wingasia > please note that free advertisement is not allowed on the forum. I invite you to recommend this company in the business directory. Thank you.

Hi Christine... Apologies..do you mean I cannot use the statement This is your LIFE as my Profile logo? It isn't an advert, it's just a saying.. but I am happy to remove it if you still want me to.

Hi wingasia,

It is not about your profile picture. The concern is about the company you work for.

Christine was just asking you to recommend the company you are working for in our directory database. :)

Thank you,

David.

Ok.. i understand what she means now and will register as you suggest in the business directory..