Moving to Brussels with family.

My husband will start working in Louvain most probably by the end of June of this year.  The kids and I will be following him soon after. 

I have never been to Belgium and I don't think I'll be able to visit until we actually move there:  we're in Japan right now.  I have absolutely no grasp of the city and after searching the Internet, I still have no idea of just how kid-friendly Brussels is. 

Our reason for choosing Brussels is because we want to send the kids to a French school (I'm French-Canadian) and the Saturday Japanese School (Husband is Japanese).  I'm aware that my husband will have to commute 30 min. + by car to Louvain.

Does anybody have suggestions concerning a good area to bring up children?  Or areas to avoid?  Areas that are closer to Louvain? 

Sorry for the long message.  Any comments would be appreciated.

You need to clarify where your husband will work, do you mean Leuven which is in Vlaams Brabant which is a Dutch speaking area and 28km from Brussels or do you mean Louvain-La-Neuve in Brabant Wallon which is a French speaking area and 33km from Brussels?

A pity the OP hasn't come back, because I could actually be of decent help, bet better than most paid relocation agents too and I'm free.