English conversation groups in Alicante

Hi,

I've been  living in Alicante for many years. I teach english, and IŽd like to get in touch with english native speakers who live in Alicante in order to organise informal conversation groups so that my students or anyone who'd like to, could join and practise the language.
It's a way of meeting people, helping others with the language, improving your spanish and contribute to raise the battered english level in Spain.
Thanks anyway and hope we'll meet you soon.
Loren.

Yes good idea, seen this post elsewhere - but not quite sure what

"to raise the battered english level in Spain. "

means.

It means that the level is very low ...

My wife and I live in Huesca, Aragon, but are considering a move.  We might be willing to consider Alicante.  What Loren do you think the possibilities are for us being able to also teach private English lessons in Alicante?  Without getting into our resumes at this point, we are both "highly qualified" educators!  We are currently teaching English at a private academy.

Hi

Well, I think it's a good idea just because of the weather jaja As you probably know, the english level in Spain is very low and needs to be raised up. There's a very high demand in english tutoring. You'll easely find private academies willing to hire you and/or private tutoring. If you need any help in any other aspect just let mne know.
Loren.

Thanks a lot, we might just take you up on that!

Sorry to bother you again, just had a few questions.

We've been all around Spain, but never to Alicante.  What can you tell me about it in terms of cost of living, lifestyle, etc?  Long story short, our jobs haven't worked out here as well as we'd hoped, and we are looking to make a move soon...like within the next month.

Also, are there a lot of good places to post flyers about private lessons that you know of?

Thanks,
Chris

Well, life isn't partuculary cheap here, it's rather touristic, on the coast line and that doesn't make it cheap. You can rent flats 90 m2(3 bedrooms in the center) around 500/600€ per month. A one way bus ticket 1.40€, eating out around 20€, supermarket's prices must be the same and a glass of beer 1.50€(sometimes with a tapa). For the flyers, up to what I know, there aren't specific places to put them but I can assure you that streets are crammed full of them(lamposts, walls, phone boxes,etc). It's jungle style!! Hope to be helpfull. Don't hesitate to ask. Bye.

Thanks, that's very  helpful.  If we do make this move, I'll be sure to contact you!

Hi again, Loren,
My wife and I are 90% sure that we are going to make the move to Alicante.  We had a long talk, and decided we think it's best for us right now.  We're probably crazy, but hey, life is short.

My question to you is, do you really think there is a good market for private tutors?  We're very qualified, but I know that doesn't always matter.  Our plan is to come to Alicante and start meeting people, selling ourselves, rather than putting anonymous flyers up or Internet postings that look like everyone else's.  We are pretty good salespeople, especially my wife.  We would be more than willing to participate in your conversation groups, especially for the networking potential.

If your advice is, "you're crazy, don't do it..." I won't be offended!  Otherwise, any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

Chris

Hi

Well I can only talk about my humble experience and as I said yes I think there s a market for private english tutoring. Referring to the english conversation group, my intention was to find english native speakers in order to send there my students so they can practise a little bit the language but I have found out that there are a few of them that already exist in Alicante so why bother with that...
Many things could be done such as tutoring, but as you know the difficult (I would even say impossible) thing in learning a language is practising enough to get fluent and that is not easy in a non english speaking country... so as I see it the answer is finding the way to offer students to solve this and making a business out of it jaja

Loren.

Ok, thanks for the info.  I may be in touch with you again soon! 

We're not looking for much money, but enough to get by and do a little traveling if possible.  You're right about the conversation thing...my students here don't do much outside of class.  The ones that do are miles ahead.  One thing my boss does here is he has an agreement with a local bar where, every two weeks he hosts and English night.  We promote it to our students and it's usually pretty fun, but often difficult to get people out.  Maybe I could start something like that there...?

That would be nice...

Hi Loren111,
Following on from your last post, I am also an British guy, living in Córdoba but am looking to move to somewhere new where I can meet people and generally feel not so much of a stranger in a foreign land, as I do here in Cordoba. So what's it like there for starting a new life and does Alicante offer much for foreigners? Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Optimistic,
If you mean by starting a new life to look for a job, you must know how the socio-political-economical-religous-monarchy situation is....jaja...so Alicante has at least the sea to lose touch once in a while. The weather is its best asset. What kind of information could be helpful for you?

thanks for getting back loren111. i meant, is there a flourishing expat community there? I have found it hard to get to know Spanish people here in Cordoba and so am keen to find somewhere that has a large foreign population and social scene. The sea and the weather are of course big attractions. I assume it won't be too difficult getting work if it's anything like where I am now (huge demand).
Cheers

huge demand? tell me all about it jaja
well i wouldn't say that alicantinos are very social in general and in particular you have to search a bit jaja there's nice people everywhere... but the biggest foreign population around here are Torrevieja(a lot of russians), Benidorm (the most wellknown british colony) and Javea(Dutch, German) with a higher level.

Hi. I am from Alicante.

I would say that the cost of living is cheaper than Valencia, Barcelona and Madrid but on the other hand it can be expensive if you wanna live in the city centre.

I recomend Benalua's area. It's really near from the city centre (5 min walking). Food and restaurants are every where but there are ones which are expensive if you want to eat in a good restaurant. The beach is really nice but I recomend San Juan beach. If you are wealthy, you should find a house in San Juan. Near the beach flats are really expensive although in San Juan there ara great areas such as Miriam Blaco. San Juan is really well conected by tram. Night public transport stinks.

Public transport is cheaper than 1 40, because every one has a public transport card. With this card transport will cost just 0.7 - 0.8 more or less.
If you want to meet people, Couch Surfing grup migh be contacted. Furtheremore, there are a lot of groups to meet English Speakers.

If you want to meet English people, you shoud go to English areas,the places that you say are located far away from Alicante Benidorm. Gran Alacant is a nice place in the summer, althoug in winter there are no body is much better.

If you want to be English teacher and you have English accent will be harder than if English is your mother tongue. Because, there are a lot of English people how are teachers.

Good luck.

Hi,

My name is Luz, I'm currently living in Alicante , I'm spanish not english but I do speak fluent english for I've been living in UK for several years , the thing is , as you mentioned, is difficult to practise it for everyone speaks spanish all the time so I really would like to meet people who speaks english and do some chatting now and then, preferabley at weekends, so If you are gathering some people with the same purpose I will be willing to come over and join the group.

What do you think about it?

;)

Hello,

I'm Cristina, a spanish girl from Campello (Alicante), actually living in San Juan. I'm studiyng english by myself, and I think I've reach an intermediate level, but I realise I need to practise the conversation to improve faster.

I see that is harder than I thought to find a person or a group to make a language exchange, so I find a good idea to make a group of interested people in make it. Perhaps giving us a facebook adress, per example, will be able to keep us in touch for make future appointments, in group or in private, whether personally or by mail or skype.

So count on me!

My name is Albert,I have been in Alicante for a few weeks,i would like to meet people who are in this group.

My e mail address is [email protected]

My Spanish mobile is [moderated: pls use your pm]
Looking forward to hearing from you.

[b][b]hello albert and thank you for your reply may i ask you some information about yourself. can you tell me why you moved to alicante and where do you actually live? are you by the coast or inland? what are you doing with your time? I am seeking to buy near alicante airport such as gran alicante or la marina what do you suggest? Julia

:offtopic:

The subject of this discussion is english conversation groups in Alicante.

Thank you.
Christine
Expat.com team

Hi Loren,

Please if you meet any day please publish the particular date and time and I'll do my best to join you.

Regards,

Luz:)

Hi Loren,

I have recently moved to El Campello where I am teaching English and learning Spanish.

The language exchange sounds like a great idea, have you had much interest ?

Regards,

Chris.

HI THE SUBJECT OF THIS FORUM IS VERY INTERESTING.. DURING MY VISITS TO SPAIN I HAVE ENCOUNTERED MANY PEOPLE IN ALICANTE WITH LIMITED ENGLISH SKILLS.. BUT I  THERE ARE MANY EX PATS TEACHING ENGLISH OR OFFERING THEIR SERVICES IN THIS WAY ALREADY on AN INFORMAL LEVEL .. ALICANTE HAS QUIET, CONSERVATIVE SOCIAL LIFE OPPOSED TO THE TOURISTS RESORTS FURTHER AWAY FROM ALICANTE.. I KNOW MANY EX PATS LIVING IN ALICANTE BUT THE AREA FORTUNATELY DOES REMAIN TRADITIONALLY SPANISH.. AND NOT SO EASY TO MEET NEW FRIENDS.. SORRY BUT TRUTH.. ju

Hi englishjulianne!

Could you please avoid posting in all caps on the forum? :)

Thanks
Armand

just getting used to my new laptop. . and to help others able to see the print.. no offence intended to the sensitive community. ju

No worries Julianne.

Thanks
Armand

Hi
I am an Aussie and happy to help out with any student groups you have.

Thanks

Hi, my 18 year old son has just moved to Alicante, is working in a hotel near Mutxamel. He speaks some Spanish but is feeling rather isolated, would like to find out if there's a community of younger expats ... perhaps university students or others? Thanks for any suggestions!

Hi my name is Mark I arrived in Alicante a week ago rented a room walked round the city every day haven't met any Brits yet. would you like to meet up. Maybe you can pass on where all the Brits are. Thanks Mark. I am finding the language barrier hard.

Hi

I see that this forum is used from time to time but wondered if people are still active on it.  I am in Alicante for September (I do this each year) and it would be nice to meet up for a chat/drink with people from time to time.

...Ralph

hi christina, i'm chris, an Englishman looking to teach E nglish in Alicante,but perhaps to start with skype;i'd be happy to help you, for free, this will give me good practice and will help you with conversation......