Health care for senior immigrants to Malta

Hi all, My wife ( 72years young) and I ( 70) would like to move to Malta from Australia. My wife has a British passport and I have an Australian one. We would buy a property and would conform to the immigration requirements.
The question we have is would we be able to get private health insurance ? or Could we buy Government insurance? Could somebody please let us know?
My e-mail address is [email protected]
Thanks
Rainer

Private Health Insurance is widely available through the usual insurance brokers or direct from companies, BUPA etc.
Search through Google and you will find them and you can phone or e-mail them.

Also read the threads here:

https://www.expat.com/forum/341-10-heal … malta.html

Thank you very much, but what about our age group, what sort of hurdles do we have to go through? We do not mind paying a reasonable cost of insurance, say EUR 2500 per person PA.
Do you think it is doable?
cheers
Rainer

Obviously rates will depend upon age and any underlying health issues.
They will also depend upon what cover you will require.
As these are personal issues then you will have to enquire, directly, yourself.
Do not go for a quote from the French company linked to this forum, I did and got a quote for €6000 pa pp.
I then looked around and got a quote for €1500 pa pp.

I cannot answer your questions as I am not an insurance broker nor do I have private insurance as my Reciprocal Health Agreement covers us but yes, I would say it is 'doable' but at a price that you negotiate.

Thank you I understand, are there Maltese insurance companies that one can contact?
cheers
P.S My Wife is British and she gets a pension form the UK , would she be able to be covered by reciprocal arrangements? I understand that you may not be able to answer these questions and we will have to get some legal help but experiences count as well.

Hi , me again you seem to have lived in alot of countries , how do you feel about Malta? Is it not too small? we would be coming from the ridiculous to the sublime , for we live in huge OZ and think of living on a small island, but close to Europe. And we need the weather.
cheers

There are Maltese companies and your wife will probably not get RHA as she has, I assume, lived outside UK for too long and hasn't paid NI.

We chose Gozo for the peace, quiet and the people.
It's not too small for us either and we will take holidays from here. Not too bothered about doing much travelling any more, just want our quiet life that we, as introverts, prefer.
We are not strangers to Malta either so we knew what to expect.
(See my profile details if interested.)

You are correct, she has lived in OZ for 25 years

Hi , me again, you are 10 years younger than I am , I was born in Berlin in 43, and have lived in Australia since 64.
I just love France and Spain and would like to spend time there but it is so far away from here and expensive. I do like the mediteranian//frencj way of life and would like to spend the rest of my life in Europe, My wife is all on board.
I have found an insurance company on the net and am awaiting a quote.
Regards Rainer

Raiann wrote:

I have found an insurance company on the net and am awaiting a quote.
Regards Rainer

Sorry to teach you to suck eggs but go for as many quotes as possible and of course, cheapest is not always best and read the terms and conditions!!

redmik wrote:

There are Maltese companies and your wife will probably not get RHA as she has, I assume, lived outside UK for too long and hasn't paid NI.

The RHA is based on being British, not on NI contributions

If you are of pensionable age and in receipt of a state pension from an EU country, you should be able to transfer your state healthcare rights to Malta

Raiann wrote:

Hi all, My wife ( 72years young) and I ( 70) would like to move to Malta from Australia. My wife has a British passport and I have an Australian one.

2 options for free cover

1. best - transfer rights from another EU country (if applicable)
2. if not, your wife applies for RHA as UK citizen - you apply as a non-EU national family member of a UK citizen

I stand corrected.

georgein gozo, I think this pm was intended for you...........

Thanks  Mate , that does not answer my question re health insurance.
I am sure we would enjoy to live in Malta, as we would but our own property and are able to pay for our cost of living.
cheers
Rainer