Hello from an expat in Yangon

Hi -
I just wanted to introduce myself on this forum. My name is Becky. I'm American and am living with my family in Yangon.  We came here for my husband's job.  I work as a freelance writer. We've been here for about a year and enjoy Myanmar.

I'm more than happy to try answering questions people have. I've poked through the forum + just contributed a few answers that are hopefully helpful.

Though this site, you can see my blog as well which has loads of resources about Myanmar, being an expat (including resources for expat kids). I'm not a Myanmar expert: I'm not a local Myanmar, so there's no way I could ever be an expert. But am happy to help the best I can.

Cheers,
Becky

Hello Becky,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Thank you for this introduction.

Hello Becky. Compared to you, I have only got 1 month experience in Myanmar and so, would be grateful to you if you answer my questions.

Is there any day care centre in Yangon for my children? Haven't found one yet.
An apartment to rent near the Yangon International School?
Any fascinating place to visit for this Thingyan Festival?

Thank you.
Benjamin V.

Hi Benjamin - I commented on another thread in the forum about daycare. There aren't any daycares that I'm aware of. For early education, lots of people send their children to Network School (British Curriculum). They're quite good. The hours are short though; most families hire nannies as an alternative to daycare.

YIS + apartments: I never go to that area of town, honestly, but I do think it's pretty funky/cool. Has a nice vibe. I am sure there are some apartments. There's a CityMart right next to the school. Most people find they need to utilize housing agents. If you need a list of names, you can private message me or contact me through my blog: http://wwww.beckyinburma.blogspot.com

Have you checked out YEC? The Yangon Expat Connection google group? There's also What's on Yangon. (www.whatsonyangon.com) - which is an event/review website. There's a good article in there on what's required to find housing.

Do you have a Golden Guide book for Yangon? They sell it at Monument Books and also at Sharky's. :) I hope this helps you in some way. Please feel free to ask more questions.

I think that you'll see Thingyan everywhere, honestly. I don't know what it's like in Myanmar, but I understand that everything is pretty much shut down. Not many businesses are open + it can be hard finding a taxi at the airport. We were in Chiang Mai + Chiang Dao last year during the water festival. I know quite a few people who went to the beach during water festival because it's more low key. It starts getting super hot around that time, so it's nice to escape a bit. Or go further up north where it's cooler. ;)

Thank you very much, Becky.
1. Found your information on daycare at another thread and I have decided to hire a nanny pretty soon.
2. Regarding the apartment, I am still searching for a cheaper one till I manage to save more money to afford a large accommodation for the entire family. So, my range is one between $300-50 per month.   
3. As for the holiday, I am planning a 4 night 5 day package trip to Chaung Thar beach. It's quite near to Pathein city and so, I can enjoy both urban and rural water festival i guess? A beach should be a nice spot for recreation with my family after the whole month of shifting houses and adapting to the new environment.

Hi Becky,

If you dont mind I have a ton of questions for you!  We're looking at a possible move to Yangon, been expats before, in a bare necessity country, but not in Asia.  We have 2 sons, 8 and 10.

so....
1) in our package deal should we ask for a car for husband and a driver for me?  Or can we get by with just transport for him provided and me trying to get round in alternate ways? Can we buy and drive our own car?

2) Is the best satellite TV package VisionTrue from Thailand?

3) how bad REALLY are the cell phone issues?  Can I bring my HTC smart phone and fit a sim purchased in Yangon to it?

4) Are there any country clubs where expats hang out with their kids?  My kids do tons of sports clubs here - is there anything like that in Yangon?

5) We will ship a container - do we need all the necessities like hygene products, a years worth of clothes, first aid stuff, etc etc.

6) Internet - whats the best you can get installed in your home?

7) how cheap are flights to Bangkok for a trip away?

8) Are there many expat families with pre-teen and teen kids?

God theres probably a million more things to ask but thats all for now.

Many thanks

Hi Beachbum,

No problem re: the questions. I'll try to help the best I can.

1) Re: package. In the past, it was quite important that the benefits package included a car and or car with driver because it was not reasonable to purchase a car. It was simply wayyy to expensive. Since April/May, importation of cars has been allowed so now it's not very expensive to purchase a vehicle. Because of this, your organization may or may not include a vehicle as part of the package. In our case, we do still have a company car provided to us and actually have a company driver, too; but, I think we're in an unusual situation (lucky). I'd try to find out if they included a car in the past. If you'll be working for a private company as opposed to an NGO or the UN, then I'd certainly ask for a car and driver. Usually a family shares the same car/driver. Many families do have to find their own driver, though. I'd recommend that you have one for at least awhile, until you get to know the city. And although traffic congestion isn't as bad here as in many other big cities, it's getting worse on a weekly basis, making it very time consuming and sometimes stressful getting place to place.

2) I am not sure re: satellite TV, but I can look into it for you. We don't have satellite TV at home; however, I have heard some grumblings re: True Vision + I think there are some other options out there. If you end up in a serviced apartment, then that will just be part of the package, as well as internet. I would recommend joining the Yangon Expat Connection Google Group. There has been recent discussion on there re: satellite tv service providers. I can also look for it for you.

3) Well, cell service isn't *that*  bad, really. And it's getting better. There was a recent news article that several large international tech companies were putting in bid here. http://www.mmtimes.com/index.php/nation … arket.html  You can certainly bring in your mobile phone + get a SIM card fitted. No problem. The issue is more about the cost of the SIM cards. At the moment, a permanent SIM costs $250. It's been long-rumored that the cost will be decreased (any day) dramatically.  We've been waiting for this; but the latest news on this is that it should happen in April. Fingers crossed. It will happen, though.

4) There's the American Club + Australian Club. Both have sports things that should keep your boys active. Many schools have after-school activities as well including football (soccer) and martial arts. On Saturdays, at Inya Lake Hotel, kids of all ages gather at 4pm for football. A group of parent volunteers run it. You shouldn't have too much difficulty re: sport. It probably slows down a bit during the Monsoons though.

5) You can get nearly everything here, just not brands you're necessarily used to. Sometimes you have to dig a bit harder to find stuff. Whatever you can't get here, you can usually find in Bangkok. There are certain hygiene products that are limited in brands/types including tampons (def bring those if you use them!), razors, deodorant, shaving cream. If you have certain brands you prefer, then stock-up. If anyone in your house wears make-up (not sure if you're a guy or a girl!), then I'd bring favorite stuff to get you by for at least a few months. Then you can stock-up in Bangkok. I'd bring clothes. Unless you're very small in stature, then it won't be easy purchasing clothes off the rack here or in BKK; however, you can get things cheaply made. Lots of people bring clothes they like then take a few pieces to a tailor to have them copied. It's hot here, so bring clothes that are airy. For the kids, I'd bring a year's worth of clothes, but that's personal preference. You can buy clothes for kids here everywhere, but maybe not your style. In BKK, you can get anything. However, prices aren't really as cheap as they are in the West - certainly not in the USA. I'd bring your first aid stuff. I'd also bring any OTC (over the counter) meds and really stock up on those. For the boys, def bring a few sizes in tennis shoes. They'll need them for PE, sports. Those are a bit difficult to find here + pricey in BKK.

6) Um. Internet. Well, this is what most expats find to be *the* most difficult thing about living here. Though our connectivity is improving, it's still not good enough that I could even think about video Skype. I don't know anyone who does use video Skype here. Occasionally, super late at night, I can stream YouTube.  Any major downloading - people go to BKK for. It's improving a bit though + the city is doing upgrades. Some areas are better than others. You can access free wifi many places. But during monsoons, expect extremely patchy internet service. It is certainly worth having at home, though. I think it's really important, actually, to stay connected.

7) I really should know how much a flight to BKK is, but I actually don't know. LOL That is silly since I go there a lot. There are deals all the time though and this will only get better because more and more airlines are coming to Yangon so competition will drive costs down. (I think!) Air Asia, Bangkok Airways, and Thai airways are the ones we fly the most frequently. I'd check their websites. During peak tourist season, prices increase. It's actually the same price, if not cheaper, for us to fly to BKK for a long weekend + stay as it is to fly within country. It's the internal flights/hotels that are still very expensive here. Agoda is always a great source for  booking flights.

8) LOTS of expat families with pre-teen and teen kids. This is a very family-friendly post. :)

I hope this helps a bit. I have a blog - I think you can find it by clicking on my name. Otherwise, it's beckyinburma.blogspot.com I've actually written an eBook for people moving to Myanmar. The plan is to have it available on Amazon in April. If you end up moving here, maybe that will be useful. :) And you can certainly contact me/email me through the blog. It might be faster.

All the best,
Becky

Becky that is a huge help!  The information out there seems to be a little outdated (re: cars, phones etc) and very scarce (re: sports, expat kids etc) so your reply has been invaluable.

I am mum to the 2 boys by the way - and the job for my husband is with a private sector company so we need to nail down what to ask for to secure the right package.

Should we do this and arrive in Yangon I'll give you a shout!

Thanks,.
BB

Dear All
Please help me in understanding telecommunication system in Yangon (though I read about it but I found large variation in opinions)....
How is the connectivity  and charges over there for phone ( mobile phone specially International calls as I am from India ) and What is the performance of Internet ...Can I use internet for Video Chat with my family In India ...What is the cheap and best method to communicate in India...
Can I use it from my home in Yangon or I will have to go some other place...
Which cell phone (handset) and Laptop should I bring from India.

Thanks in advance
Amit

Hi Amit,

You're right. The telecommunications in Yangon vary.

You can bring your mobile phone from India, but will have to buy a SIM card. At the moment, permanent SIM cards cost $250 usd. It's rumoured that this cost will be significantly reduced in April. We shall see! Everyone is hopeful.

The best way for you to connect/call your family in India from here in through Skype; however, video Skype most likely will not work. I've never been able to get it to work. The connection just isn't strong enough; however, you may find some places that very occasionally have strong enough connection to allow this. Please don't count on it, though.  I easily voice Skype with family on a regular  basis. I do get disconnected from time-to-time, but that is just part of life here.

As I mentioned in a previous post to Beachbum (above) - internet is one of the most frustrating things for most expats about living here. I do believe this will get better. It might take time, though. A lot of people suspect the mobile phone industry (4G, etc) will advance much more quickly.

You can bring any mobile or laptop that you want. Anything should be compatible, I should think.

One thing to note: electricity sockets vary from place to place. Some people have four-five different types of sockets in their own house. Though you can buy adapters here, they're cheaply made. I'd bring several multi-region adapters with you. You also really need to protect your electronic devices because of the very frequent electrical surges.  Power cuts are normal, so you'll want to live at a place with a generator + you'll need surge protectors + invertors to protect your stuff. :) 

Hope this helps. :)

-Becky

Cheers,
Becky

Thanks a lot Becky.

Amit

Hi Becky,

I am from Pakistan and these days staying in Yangon and looking for any job opportunity. Can you help me to find out any job in local or international companies? I have done MBA, B.Com, Diploma in Human Resource Management, Sales & Marketing and having vast experience (15+years) mainly with garment manufacturer and exporter and NGO'S. 

I can send you my CV if needed, please communicate at [email protected] if possible. Thanks.

Arshad

My wife and I are 64 & 65 years respectively. I have an opportunity to move to Myanmar to work as a CIO at an European Hotel Chain who are rolling out three big hotels in 2013, 2014 & 2015.

I believe they will provide us the accommodation and transport within the hotel premises or in one of their compounds.Will only know once we start discussing the details of the offer in the coming weeks.

My main concern is medical facilities since my wife does have some nitty gritty aches and pains and has been used to being pampered with healthcare in the Middle East where we have spent almost 35 years to date.

Being Sri Lankan, by birth, we are used to the tropical monsoons, humidity, and even the way of the Buddhists and hope we will be able to manage comfortably within this environment.

Hi  I am from Malaysia, My husband is moving to myammar for work latest by end of this year, and i am actively looking for a school where i can put my son. He is turning 16th next year.

I do appreaciate it, if you can suggest me some good school around Yangon besides the International School. They're way too expensive for us.

Thanking you in advance.

Best Regards,
WBR

Hi Ms. Becky,

Thanks for your post.
I am looking for a chemical engineering jobs. Do you know if there's availability in Myanmar?

Regards,
Joseph from the Philippines

Dear Friend ,

I am Frank and chemical engineer too.Why don't you try in Singapore .You may write to me [email protected] .

Regards ,

Frank

@ Joseph --> Have you try to consult the offers in the job section or even post your resume/CV there? Thanks. Karen :)

Thanks Karen. I will do what you advised =) I'm just a newbie here in the Expat.com, just started this week =)

Regards,
Joseph

I have been posted to work in Taunggyi, I wish some information on availability and cost of rented accommodation in Taunggyi. 

Regards

Hi Becky,

First of all, I want to thank you for helping new comers to this Yangon City with various inputs.

I'm into IT Jobs from India.I'm planning to move to Yangon end of Jan'14 and heard a lot of horrible stories of Rental House.  Rent Amount looks like more than that in any of the most expensive cities in the world. Can you please guide me on how to rent a house there and if any reliable broker is there. My office will be at MICT Park, Hlaing Township. Is there really any good rented house in $700-800 range and less than 12x deposit?

Regards,
Suvajit Mitra

Hello Suvajit Mitra,

Please note that this topic is a bit old ( february 2013 )

Concerning your accommodation request, i think that creating an ad in the Housing in Myanmar section can help. It can also be useful if you can ad the details about your budget and the type of accommodation that you want in this ad .
Please found the page Real estate agencies in Myanmar as well. :)

Good luck,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Hi Becky, We are doing a look-see in March. Currently living in Singapore with our 4 year old daughter. Are there kid-friendly activities for us while we are visiting? And then, of course, if we decide to move there, anything? Are there American schools? Thanks for your anticipated advice. -Michelle

Hi Becky
Looks like you are doing a wonderful job.
I would be glad to field any questions about Visas and Stay Permits.

Have a great time in Myanmar.

Hello Becky,

I was recently offered a job in Mandalay, Myanmar. It is a job teaching English at an international school. They offered an attractive salary and they provide an apartment and transport to and from work. My family is concerned about my safety in Myanmar. After doing research on the country, they were freaked out by the  the human rights and human trafficking statistics. They are concerned about my safety as an expat. I am an American that has traveled abroad in the past and I am currently living in Panama. I am really interested in this job and Myanmar seems like a place I would enjoy living in. What are your thoughts on safety as a young female American expat that would be living in Mandalay with the interest of traveling through the country and to the surrounding countries? Please provide any insight that you have! Thanks!

Hi,
Mandalay is as a safe as a city can get.  My brother operates a large preschool and primary school with teachers from New Zealand.  They love it there, except in the summer when it hits around 44 celcius.  My brother who is an avid amatuer photographer goes travelling around the country side with all the Kiwis tagging along for the chance to see sights that normally only locals revel in. 
So then travelling around the country, you could not be more better situated location to do this, it does not mean that the mode of transport will be comfortable all the time, take it this way - the less the international traveller has gone there the more rustic the transport.  Travelling to nearby countries will present a problem, getting to go there is no problem, make sure your employer gets you a multiple entry visa so getting back will be a breeze (hot and dry one).
As others have mentioned (probably with great passion) internet will be the cause of your greatest frustrations.   Have a great time.  And drink plenty of fluids.

Do the schools conduct their academics in the English medium there? My wife is a Montessori Teacher for more than 50 years now and runs her own school, with 800+ kids, here in Riyadh. She would love to look for setting up a school in Myanmar if the opportunity provides it.

Both our daughters are also into education, the older (39) holding the prestigious position of Deputy head of the Primary (Girls) Section and the younger (32) working as the Head of the English Department (Girls) at manarat Al Riyadh International School who have a roll call of more than 2,000 children.

Any info will be very useful.

I would suggest teaming up with a local who already has a license to run a school and is certified to do so. 
English would be no problem. 
Regardless of whatever we say on these forums nothing beats a trip here and visiting the setup that others have.
My brother charges on the lower end of 50$US a month, but there are schools that charge 9000+$US per annum. 
Once you get going, the going get roaring.  But then there are plenty who flopped too.

Michelle, there are quite a number of international schools in Yangon, so I don't think that will be too great of an issue for your daughter. YIS, BIS, MIS, ISY, and there are even Singapore run schools as well.

Tiffanie

Greetings all,

I am planning to move to Myanmar in December this year. What I am interested in right now is the renting prices. Are the prices still going up like crazy? Not looking for a fancy flat ( 2 rooms can be unfurnished ): price range 300-400$ month. Any tips? :)

There is any expat community there - in terms of a bar/place where people usually hang out?

Hi Becky, I'm thinking of moving to Yangon. I'm in Chiang Mai right now. I'm completely new to the place and have no idea where to stay and how to go about getting work. I know I can apply but I'm thinking that I will once I get there.

How's the visa situation there? Is it strict? I'm thinking Cambodia just because the visa is easier to get as well as work permit.

Thanks!

@ Junkirri > Please note that this is quite an old topic (2013) and maybe it will be difficult for you to obtain some responses from Becky.

In order to make your questions more visible to the other members, i think that you should create a new topic on the Myanmar forum with them. ;)

Thank you,

Priscilla

Hi - my husband is applying for a job in Yangon and I am trying to find out what options there are for primary schools. Our son is 6 and I would like him to ideally go to an English speaking school so his reading and writing doesn't fall behind. I found the british school but it is very expensive. Do you know if there are other options?

Thank you

All are expensive they people are looting peoples to appoint Back packers from US and UK as a teacher on basis of 1 year contract . . . . . . . Totally nonsense  :mad:

If u r looking for nightlife in Yangon, that guy's blog might be a big Yes for you ;)
yangonunderground.blogspot.com

It contains address & info about famous Clubs and bars in yangon. Have Fun!

Hi Becky,

I am offered a job with salary of $3500 with accommodation, I have two kids, 15 and 12 yrs.

can you please tell me if this salary is enough for me and the family, and if there is any cheap international school.

Sazan.

If you have arrived in Myanmar and are setting up a Montessori school please let me know! We have just spent 7 years in the Middle East mostly in Oman.

Also any one give me info on vaccines, the NHS list is rather long, the  standard pre school plus hep a&b also Japanese encephalitis before a long chapter on Dengue. I am assuming in Yangon they fog regularly like Singapore.... Am I assuming too much?

You can manage things.. but i doubt about saving. please check with your employer about facilities. like, school fees, accommodation. if they are not provided i think you can't save much. though u can lead a healthy life in 3500. Yangon is something like average life in lieu of world class expense.

Hey Becky,

Glad to know that you like helping people out.....cause if your all by yourself (Like me) in a foreign land with a different language then It can get mighty intimidating!!

So howz it going so far?

i want to advertise my business.What muat i do?