Moving to Nairobi - Considering what Salary is good

Hi,

I am considering an offer by a potential employer based out of Nairobi. I am still undecided on the salary that one should consider, which would meet not just requirements but also ensure some savings.

What kind of a salary should one expect, considering there is a regional role to be played, with 9 years of experience in Marketing. I will be coming with my wife and want to ideally live the life that a young married couple does, with occasional weekend getaways and once in 6 months a visit to home. Additionally. I am looking at a leased/ second hand car and a 2 bedroom apartment in the expat community.

Would greatly appreciate if you could help me out.. I am seeing that people who say they are getting a monthly salary of 600,000 Khs as being replied to as a good salary, however I am skeptical about this. I am from New Delhi and have my own house and if I am to understand the equation, Nairobi is almost twice as expensive. Given the daily expenses, additional rental, leisure expenses and visits to home, I think the money is not as good as it seems in the first glance.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Cheers!

Hi thisisit!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Need to consider that the cost of living is not cheap in Nairobi. Further discussions to include with your potential employer:
1- rent allowance
2- travel (taxi) allowance-unless they provide you a car. Investment will cost USD10-40,000 depending on what car you purchase.

Well, my potential employer is telling me that this salary is inclusive for rent allowance. Repatriation cost annual travel for the family, etc are all over and above this. Even though they say this is a good salary, which I expect any employer will say, I do not think so. Hence, want an honest opinion from the people on this blog. What according to you are the expenses for a good life? I think one should not settle for anything less than 800,000 ksh... at the very least, considering the expenses of expats are usually more than the natives of a country.

Looking forward to answers.