Cost of Living in Bahrain & Present political situation.

Hi Friends,

Presently i am located in saudi arabia & i am offered with a very good MNC in Bahrain as Tech. Sales Engineer with an package of
BHD 1600 pm which includes Basic + HRA. I will be given company car + medical + bonus + mobile + family status + to & fro tickets to india for me & my family & etc..

I would like to know, the present cost of living for family of 4 i.e. with wife & 2kids with 2.5 years of age. How much i can save from this package.

Also, i would like to know the present situation in bahrain, is it safe to come now. As i will be landing in bahrain on 6th of March 2013.

Thanks & Regards,
Sanjay.

Hi and welcome to the forum and to Bahrain.

The questions you have asked have been covered in the forum in the last week or so here:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=230692https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=231428https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=233229

also if you look on the definitive guide you will get a lot more questions answered that you haven't even asked yet :-)

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=231960

Regards

Jo

Thanks alot JO...However; i just want to be sure before making a move.

You will be fine.

There are demonstrations where expats are not targeted. The police have these very firmly under control. They are starting to calm down now and should have calmed down even more before you come here.

If flying into Bahrain just make sure you are either collected at the airport and go straight home or ensure that you get a licensed cab with a meter from outside the terminal.

If you know which area you will be living in already then it might be worth sharing that as people on here can let you know which areas the demonstrations are in, where there may be road blocks etc to ensure that you avoid those points on your journey.

As long as you don't stray into the villages, stay vigilant and be sensible then you will be fine.

I have known more trouble in the UK than here. I feel perfectly safe and you should too.

Thanks alot Jo..i really appreciate your reply...
However; i will be travelling directly via saudi causeway along with my colleague. And initially my company will arrange for temporary accomodation for almost 1 month & later on i will look somewhere in Juffair or Adliya.

As i have checked out some of the houses located in Juffair & adliya on expatriates.com

Regards,
Sanjay

If you are looking for accommodation yourself then take in mind where you are working and the commute etc. There are a lot of lovely safe areas to choose from. You have a month to decide and in that time you will make friends and may want to choose to live near them.

I presumed you were flying as you said "landing" in Bahrain.

The causeway is a very safe journey and you come out right by us in Janabiyah which is a beautiful place to live, very peaceful.

You will be fine and you will love living here.

Actually i am looking out for a place where i can admit my kids for Playgroup i.e. for Pre-Schooling as they are just 2.5 years of age. Could you please guide me the right place to stay in Bahrain & also can i get an fully furnished 2BHK apartment within BHD 300 to BHD 400???
And as i understand, my office is located in Sitra...

Appreciate your reply.

Thanks,
Sanjay

I know you can get an apartment for that amount of money. As for playgroups I will have to look in to that for you. My son is going to hospital tomorrow for major surgery and I won't be on the forum for a while but if no one else answers you I will look in the next few days.
Look in Fab and time out magazines, they both have pages listing highly recommended playgroups etc.

Oh!! i am really sorry to hear that. But, don't worry by the grace of god your son will be absolutely fine...

Be in touch...

Regards,
Sanjay

Hello Friends,

How is the present situation in Bahrain??? as i have heard there were some issues started on 14th Feb 2013.

Regards,
Sanjay

Hi

The below link is for our local paper and should help keep you up to date on things. It is hard for people on here to comment and keep you up to date as we tend to not travel around the whole of Bahrain and can only give you ideas about the situation where we are. Here in Saar it is quiet apart from the odd road block. The Budayia highway still has protesters as does the airport occasionally.

Gulf Daily News

also here is the link for Time Out Magazine

Time Out Bahrain

and the FAB Magazine I told you about

FAB Magazine

Hi Friends,

I am appointed as Sales Engineer for my company in Bahrain, but my employer has submitted my Local Contract mentioning as Sales Supervisor to expedite the process of my visa.

My concerns are, does this makes any issues for getting mine family visa or with anything else.

Appreciate immediate reply.

Regards,
Sanjay

I had heard that engineer was a very high grade and all processes went quicker if you had that title and the degree to go with it. Not sure if this is only the case in Saudi but it may be worth checking out.

No matter what qualification or job title you have on your visa it shouldn't hinder your family. Why not make an appointment to sit down with your HR department and ask them all the questions. They should do this sort of thing all the time and be able to advise you accordingly

Thanks Jo for all your support & your reply to guide me.. Really appreciated...
I have already spoke with my HR  in Dubai. However; i will be travelling to dubai on 6th March for my induction round & will discuss it..

Regards,
Sanjay

panchalsanjay2882 wrote:

Thanks Jo for all your support & your reply to guide me.. Really appreciated...
I have already spoke with my HR  in Dubai. However; i will be travelling to dubai on 6th March for my induction round & will discuss it..

Regards,
Sanjay

Good luck :)

I hope you get everything you want out of this new role and you and your family are very happy here.

I don't think this will have any impact on your family's immigration. Just make sure your employer is aware of the fact that you will bring your family.

Thanks JO...I just hope for the best...:)

Regards,
Sanjay

Hi Brighton,

Yes i have already spoke with my HR & they will reply me on this...
Thanks for your reply...

Regards,
Sanjay

Keep us up to date and good luck. If you need us for anything then just shout

Hi Sanjay ,

Im also Moving to Bahrain in first week of April and my work location is also Sitra , as you are moving little before me , i would appreciate if you can share your findings about house and preferred location etc which you are considering for your stay , i will move with my family which includes a 3 yr old son , from North India and will be working as IT consultant with YK Almoyyad in Sitra.

Thanks in advance !

Regards,
Akhil

Hi Akhil,

No Problem! i will keep posting you after i reach to Bahrain.

Regards,
Sanjay

Yes JO definitely will keep updating you with the latest...
And will see you soon in Bahrain.

Regards,
Sanjay

Below is an email I received today from fco.gov.uk. Please note that this is only the opinion of one site only and they tend to warn people of every possible event. They haven't emailed in a while so it shows that things are starting to calm down again.

Please be aware of the following:

February the 26th, at 3:30 pm, an unauthorized demonstration has been planned in the vicinity of Jidhafs on Budaiya Highway.

This is a good website to go onto for regular updates.

Google locate.fco.gov to find the site. It is generated towards UK citizens but will keep you in the loop via email once registered (free)

But as Jo said, FCO can be over-sensitive about the events. Their duty is to protect their fellow citizens so please take the announcement emails with a pinch of salt.

I just like to have the choice of going to Waitrose on the Budaiya highway or changing my mind because I know something is planned and I may get stuck in traffic.

Hi Jo / Brighton,

How are u? And how are things in Bahrain?
However i will be flying to bahrain tomorrow morning from dubai...
And my temporary acco. Is arranged in Elite seef residence hotel...I hope its good hotel.
Anyways, hope to see you guys soon...

Regards,
Sanjay

It's a nice hotel, it's got a nice pool and a gym. I used to live at that hotel. You'll love it.

It is perfect for you. Bahrain is fine at the moment. Still a few protests around here and there but keep informed on the embassy website and you will learn to avoid those roads during that time. Look forward to meeting you soon. Have a good flight.

Thanks alot...will see you soon...

Hi jo/Brighton,

How are you? So finally i finished my 1 week in bahrain. And its a relief to stay here when i compare saudi. I am planning to take a house somewhere in new juffair or adliya. Is it a good idea?
Hope to see you guys.. and thanks for everythng.

Thanks,
Sanjay

Both Juffair and Adliya are good places. Juffair is more busy with plenty of shops, cafés, restaurants and bars. So. Amwaj has it all + the beach.

juffair and adliya both are good for ur Sitra office location view point . However playschool might be more in Adliya side than Juffair as I live in Juffair and do not see many play schools this side.

regards, vivek

Thanks brighton and vivek..

u welcome to bahrain :)

Thanks naif..

Regards,
Sanjay