Ferry to Genoa

Hi guys,

I have my car here in Malta since November and as it is foreign licensed I need to get it back within 6 months.

When I came I used the ferry from Pozallo which was really nice, but I didnt like to drive through Sicily and also through South Italy.

I have been checking the internet to find another ferry which goes further up north. Sometimes on Saturdays I see the Grimaldi Lines ferry from my balcony and I read on some website that they were going to Genoa but on the Website of Grimaldi Lines you can not find anything.

Any of you know if that ferry exists and if it bookable and moreover where I could do that.

I am also open to other suggestions, I want to have the car in Germany or maybe Netherlands.

Michael.

Grimaldi does not seem to come to Valletta anymore. Their website does not show it anymore as destination. Seems odd.... Maybe this summer they will be back?
Guess you'll be driving it all the way....

Yes i know from the Website, but I see the ferry itself every Saturday (if I look out of the window). So there must be a connection.

I tried to get a quote from Sullivan Maritime now, they have until Salerno which is also nice.

Lets see if that works.

Hi

try www.viamare.com, they do Italy / Malta as well as lots of other routes round europe

Hi Michael,
We will be driving to Malta early April and have found that Grand Navi Veloci run a service from Genoa to Palermo. We will then drive to Pozzallo and take a ferry to Valetta. You would have the reverse. Here is the link http://www2.gnv.it/en.html?codAge=GABQ& … tAodolMA6w

i dont like driving through sicily as i have a rather expensive car.

I found out that the Ferry from Malta to Genoa is Grimaldi Cargo, and therefore it is on another Website.

cargo.grimaldi-lines.com

I will try to get in contact with them.

Thanks.

Hi Michael,
any luck?

Yes i got a quote to Genoa 200EUR for the car plus some charges here in Malta. But you can not go with the car as it is a cargo only ship.

However there are quite cheap flights to Genoa of around 150-180 EUR oneway.

So in sum it will be much cheaper than driving yourself.

I am still waiting for a quote from Malta - Salerno but those italians probably never replay and I have to call them.

Somebody knows the real cost of trasporting a truck with the ferry? it is because the move companies tells me that just moving a truck from Barcelona to Malta and getting it back costs them 2400 £, and I am a bit astonished by this when one way for a camper costs just 150 £.

For £2400 you can drive from Barcelona probably :)

Update:

I will ship my car within the week to Genao with Grimaldi lines which is not expensive, roughly 200 EUR.

The downside is that you can not go with the car and have to go by plane. There is an Alitalia flight stopping in Rome for 120 EUR roughly depending which day you book.

The vessel in my case arrives in the morning so I will stay in a hotel near the terminal for one night which is 59EUR incl. Breakfast.

I will give you guys an update when all is done.

Seems to me very reasonable for now.

For lorries or vans capable of 20m3 seems that  minimum is 3000 pounds. Or atleast that is what they are trying to make me believe that.

Hope everithing ends well for you michael78, in mi case its a nightmare...

michael78 wrote:

Update:

I will ship my car within the week to Genao with Grimaldi lines which is not expensive, roughly 200 EUR.

The downside is that you can not go with the car and have to go by plane. There is an Alitalia flight stopping in Rome for 120 EUR roughly depending which day you book.

The vessel in my case arrives in the morning so I will stay in a hotel near the terminal for one night which is 59EUR incl. Breakfast.

I will give you guys an update when all is done.

Seems to me very reasonable for now.

Good update and feedback michael78

Final Update:

Took the car to the ferry on Saturday, no controls whatsoever, which was rather astonishing.

One has to go to the office inside Labatory Wharf which is in some kind of ruin building and one could easlily miss it. All in all took me 20mins to get the car on the ferry.

Took my flight to Genua on Sunday und arrived Sunday late evening in Genua and took a taxi to Holiday Inn Hotel (20EUR) and was positively suprised by the nice hotel for only 59 EUR for 1 night incl. breakfast.If you are into hookers, there were also some nice in front of the hotel, didnt ask them how much though but I expect them to be rather cheap.

Anyways, I tracked the Vessel "EUROCARGO MALTA" through a nice Website in real time and despite the scheduled arrival of 8am the vessel arrived somewhat around 11am. The Website also shows a nice ETA.

From the map I thoguht it was not that far to the ferry so I took a morning walk there, well I can not suggest the same thing to you guys, as the port is totally confusing and one can get easily lost. Take a taxi to San Girgio Terminal!

At the terminal everything was very easy, the port manager picked me up with a car gave me my car key and took me to the ferry and off I was :)

No customs, no controls whatsoever.

If someone needs details or contact just drop me a Message.

Michael.

Hello micheal78,

I really hope you read this as it's long time ago you posted your experience of genoa trip!
I would be very grateful if you can give me all the info about the trip and what contacts I need to book. I've got a car here in Wales and want to transport it to malta. The trip from Wales to genoa doesn't bother me but to travel all down to Sicily and catch a boat to malta will kill me, so i'de rather ship my car from genoa to malta and I go on a flight. Please let me know ASAP cause I want to book in advance

Thank you so much

Jennifer