International schools in Doha

Hello there,
My name is Valerie and I am originally from Switzerland. I have been living for the past 12 years in Ireland with my family. My husband Tristan is an irish citizen and we have three children who are 12, 10 and 6. Tristan recently got a job with Qatar Airways and we are all very excited about this new adventure. My main worry is the school for the children. Could anybody advise me or tell me about a good international school with a recognised british curriculum; the list is long and it is very hard to make a decision having only seen the school's website !? I would also be grateful for any info and/or advice regarding the import of our dog (bernese mountain dog), I know it is quite a challenge !! Thank you, really look forward to hearing from you !

Welcome on Expat-blog Valérie! I have moved the thread on the Qatar forum. I hope another member will be able to advice you.

Good luck!
Christine

HI VALERIE
DONT WORRY HERE HAS A LOT OF VERY GOOD INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL WITH A RECOGNISED BRITISH CIRRICULUM.
THE DOG IS NOT MATTER HERE THE QATARIAN PEOPLE VERY KINDLY AND TOLERANTE PEOPLE. FOR THE CHILDREN THIS IS A BEST SAVED PLACE GROW UP. MY DAUGHTER IS SAME 10 YEARS.
BLANKA

Hi Valerie,

In answer to the dog's import question - try http://www.qatarpetrelocators.com/index2.php I've heard very good things about them and will definitely be using them when we leave next year. There is also a fantastic dog's group here, who get together on a regular basis to walk their dogs on the beach. I wouldn't recommend going alone to walk the dog as a woman, or even with your chidren, I've heard a few unsavoury stories.

It's very very hot here during the summer, but our dogs are usually fast asleep under the ACs and rarely venture into the garden unless they need to do their business.

As for schools - http://www.indexuae.com/qatar/qatarcat. … xt=Schools has a comprehensive list of schools here in Doha. You may run up against a few problems tho' with a first or second choice. Qatar does NOT have enough school places for the sheer amount of expats we have here. It didn't have enough 4 years ago and the situation isn't easing, even with the new schools such as Sherbourne and International School of London.

If you send me your email address by message, I can pass it on to a friend of mine who's been here 4 years, her husband also works for QA and she is really helpful.

Good luck!

Hi Valerie,

I hope that at this time you already find a school, because (and you probably feel it), the reality is not as pink as described above...
I have a 6 years old boy, and when i arrive I faced some difficulties and i was lucky because due the French Scholar background from my son, he was accepted in the French School, if not all Schools have waiting list and according the grade of you child you may be very unlucky as some schools are fully book just  with students transiting from one year to other (that was the case that happen to me with British School.
If you are already in Qatar, i guess that you open at least one time the classified pages of Gulf Times you will probably be amazed by the number of private tuition companies offers.
Because it's a fact there is just no enough schools for western expats...
(lot's of qataris also interested in getting westerner education..so....).

GOOD LUCK...