5 years till retirement

My wife and I are heading down to Ambergris Caye in April to look for some real estate to rent out for the next 5 years and then to move into permanently. Looking for any and all advice. We are in our early fifties and defiantly not the party crowd but would like to be apart of an active expat community. I am eager for any advise on the pros and cons of the different residency options. I guess my first question is what is the advantage of the QRP if I don't plan on bringing a car or any household goods.

Looking forward to talking to yall (we say that here in Texas) an possibly meeting some of you in April.

Thanks,
Wes

Don't get on this blog very much but was great to see a fellow resident from Pearland. We live in the country place area. I hope you make your trip to Belize we have been procrastinating for many years now and I am so envious of the folks who have actually made the decision to do it. Maybe we will get there someday but wish you the best on your travels.

Wow, small world we live in Silverlake. We have lived in Pearland for 25 years. Pearland is outgrowing us.

joemac wrote:

Don't get on this blog very much but was great to see a fellow resident from Pearland. We live in the country place area. I hope you make your trip to Belize we have been procrastinating for many years now and I am so envious of the folks who have actually made the decision to do it. Maybe we will get there someday but wish you the best on your travels.

Hi.. I live in North Texas outside of the Dallas area and will also be traveling to Ambergris Caye in early April. I have never been to Belize but I already bought a lot on Ambergris Caye to build my retirement home on. I already knew that I would love San Pedro and the laidback lifestyle there. I am planning my great escape in 5-6 years..

I have done a lot of research on various countries that offer more affordable retirement options than the US. And even though there are several that are less expensive to live in overall, after speaking with an Expat living in Belize last summer at DFW airport while waiting for a flight to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, I decided that Belize was where I really wanted to retire. It had been my #1 choice for several years.

My reasons for chosing Belize may be entirely different than your reasons for considering it as your retirement location.

I happen to love the beach and take 3-5 trips each year to some tropical beach location. Also, I am a SCUBA diver and avid snorkeler and the second largest Barrier Reef in the world is right there off Ambergris Caye. Also, the lifestyle on Ambergris Caye is what fits with my personality more than other countries that I've researched.

Good luck on your discovery trip, I hope you find what you are looking for in Belize..

Where are you staying during your trip. I have been all over trip advisor all day trying to decide between several places in town. I think that I have it narrowed down to a few. Caribbean Villas Hotel, The Palms, Ramon's Village or Corona del Mar Hotel. My head is hurting...

Texblondi2 wrote:

Hi.. I live in North Texas outside of the Dallas area and will also be traveling to Ambergris Caye in early April. I have never been to Belize but I already bought a lot on Ambergris Caye to build my retirement home on. I already knew that I would love San Pedro and the laidback lifestyle there. I am planning my great escape in 5-6 years..

I have done a lot of research on various countries that offer more affordable retirement options than the US. And even though there are several that are less expensive to live in overall, after speaking with an Expat living in Belize last summer at DFW airport while waiting for a flight to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, I decided that Belize was where I really wanted to retire. It had been my #1 choice for several years.

My reasons for chosing Belize may be entirely different than your reasons for considering it as your retirement location.

I happen to love the beach and take 3-5 trips each year to some tropical beach location. Also, I am a SCUBA diver and avid snorkeler and the second largest Barrier Reef in the world is right there off Ambergris Caye. Also, the lifestyle on Ambergris Caye is what fits with my personality more than other countries that I've researched.

Good luck on your discovery trip, I hope you find what you are looking for in Belize..

I looked all over Trip Advisor too.. I decided on the Conch Shell Inn right in San Pesro Town because I loved the location, the beach is right outside your room, all rooms are ocean front and have a kitchenett. I really wasn't looking for some luxury resort. I really wanted to be in San Pedro Town so I could just walk around and get to know it and meet the people there. This isn't a "vacation" as much as it's a "Get to know San Pedro" trip for me.. Besides, the reviews on Trip Advisor were all very good and the Mgr at the Conch Shell gave me an additional discount on my room plus gave me 20% off the Maya Air flight as well..

I looked at almost every place on Ambergris Caye and only a few are right in San Pedro, the Conch Shell Inn had the best reviews and everyone seems to love it and the location. Email them direct and ask about availability for the dates you are going to be there.. I'll be there April 6-13..

[email protected]

We are going to be there the same week April 3rd thru 10th. Are you going alone? I only ask since you keep saying (I) and not (We). Perhaps you or yall would like to have lunch or dinner one day with my wife and I and swap dreams.

Texblondi2 wrote:

I looked all over Trip Advisor too.. I decided on the Conch Shell Inn right in San Pesro Town because I loved the location, the beach is right outside your room, all rooms are ocean front and have a kitchenett. I really wasn't looking for some luxury resort. I really wanted to be in San Pedro Town so I could just walk around and get to know it and meet the people there. This isn't a "vacation" as much as it's a "Get to know San Pedro" trip for me.. Besides, the reviews on Trip Advisor were all very good and the Mgr at the Conch Shell gave me an additional discount on my room plus gave me 20% off the Maya Air flight as well..

I looked at almost every place on Ambergris Caye and only a few are right in San Pedro, the Conch Shell Inn had the best reviews and everyone seems to love it and the location. Email them direct and ask about availability for the dates you are going to be there.. I'll be there April 6-13..

[email protected]

LOL.. There is no WE, just me, myself and I.. :P

Yes I am going alone.. I'm single and as crazy as this may sound to most people, I have been traveling alone Internationally for over 35 years.. Most women, and a lot of men, would never consider traveling alone.. However, I suppose I'm a free spirit and have never thought twice about any adventure, I've just gone and figured it out along the way.. :D

Sure, we can catch up for lunch or dinner since you will be there during the same week.. You know where I'll be staying, just call the desk and I'm sure they will patch you through!

Former Texan here....

Glad to see other Texans on this forum.  Diane and I are just starting our research for possible retirement locations, and are definitely interested in Belize.  We will both be retiring in the next 5-6 years.

Perhaps we could start an ex-Texas expat club if we all end up there in a few years.  :)

sounds great. I guess I'll know more after out trip in April. I'll have to see if the wife will love it as much as I do. Happy Texas Independence Day (yesterday)

MyBetterHalf wrote:

Former Texan here....

Glad to see other Texans on this forum.  Diane and I are just starting our research for possible retirement locations, and are definitely interested in Belize.  We will both be retiring in the next 5-6 years.

Perhaps we could start an ex-Texas expat club if we all end up there in a few years.  :)

There are a LOT of Texans in Belize from the various comments I've read on here.. We should start our Texan Expat community!! lol 

Can't wait to get to Ambergris Caye in April and see everything and meet more Expats!!

Belize is such a quick flight from Houston, we meet more Texans here than any other.  Of course, it's just as quick from Charlotte, but for some reason, very few North Carolinians here (that's where we're from).  Guess word just hasn't gotten out yet!

My stepson just got stationed in Jacksonville NC with the Marines. We might make a trip there this summer. I do like that Houston is close to Belize, but you wouldn't know it by the price of the flights. I ended up using rewards miles for our trip in April.

CaribeGal wrote:

Belize is such a quick flight from Houston, we meet more Texans here than any other.  Of course, it's just as quick from Charlotte, but for some reason, very few North Carolinians here (that's where we're from).  Guess word just hasn't gotten out yet!

wwiii wrote:

My stepson just got stationed in Jacksonville NC with the Marines. We might make a trip there this summer. I do like that Houston is close to Belize, but you wouldn't know it by the price of the flights. I ended up using rewards miles for our trip in April.

Yes, flights to Belize are expensive (believe me, I know!) I guess in a way there's a silver lining, because if they were cheap, the country would be overrun with even more tourists (and spring breakers, like Cancun).  But we've paid dearly for every flight, not enough reward miles yet for a free trip. By the time you pay for your bags, and often extra for a "premium seat", which, at least for US Airways seems to be about 1/2 the seats in coach anymore, it's a real rip-off. 

Charlotte is a bit of a haul to Jacksonville, NC.  Fortunately my mother and step-dad live just an hour from Charlotte, so it's not too bad.

Just a quick reply to the airplane rates.  Be happy you're in the States and not Canada.  We do not have any competition here so there are only 2 airlines.  For the price my husband and I paid for the tickets including the puddle jumper to Ambergris Caye, would only get one person to Ontario. To fly right across Canada (BC to Newfoundland) is about $1600 to $1700 per person.  It's crazy.  Sorry, just had to but in.:)

renegade1465 wrote:

Just a quick reply to the airplane rates.  Be happy you're in the States and not Canada.  We do not have any competition here so there are only 2 airlines.  For the price my husband and I paid for the tickets including the puddle jumper to Ambergris Caye, would only get one person to Ontario. To fly right across Canada (BC to Newfoundland) is about $1600 to $1700 per person.  It's crazy.  Sorry, just had to but in.:)

It's amazing how many Canadians visit Belize (and/or live there part-time) with that in mind!  It was expensive enough flying back and forth from NC (approx. $700 US pp round trip to fly coach -- occasionally less, and when they wanted more than that, we didn't go!)