Places to stay in or around Bocas del Toro

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in or around Bocas del Toro area? Is that an up and coming area or is it dead in the water?

Your question made me smile. 

Bocas is a fun and quirky little town and is filled with locals and expats.

I suggest staying at the Gran Bahia Hotel (if he has room).  The owner Tito is amazing and his hotel is very nice.  It's also one of the oldest buildings on the island.

If you want to be off the main road then I suggest the Bahia del sol.  The owners are expats, Lee and Jack, from Ohio.  Jack is the cook and their place is right on the water. 

And there is so much to see and do there.  If you want suggestions let me know.

When are you going?  They hold the Feria del Mar in September and we had a great time. 

There are some of the clearest waters off the beach I've ever seen on Bocas and some of the best Carribean food.  You have to eat at Yarisnori's off of Drago Beach.  Take the bus through the island of Colon with Elvis and he'll make sure you get back to Bocas town.  And Casbah is one of the best restaurants in Bocas town itself.

I'm smiling.

coldcanadian wrote:

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in or around Bocas del Toro area? Is that an up and coming area or is it dead in the water?

I'd like to come right now, butit isn't feasible. But hopefully maybe within the next 12 months, preferably sooner. Is that a growing area or more laid back?

It's such a beachy area to me its very laid back. 

Growing area?  There is a new botanical garden that has just opened (it's just lovely) and the owners are expats from England. 

There is a cacao plantation on Bastimentos with expats from the US who are harvesting cacao. You can stay with them and learn all about harvesting cacao.

Jack and Lee are the largest land owners on Bocas.  And laidback.  I've never seen Lee wear shoes. She walks around barefoot all day and all night all over the place.  Don't know how she does it.

Bocas is for fun.  It has a lot of night life and daytime is surfing and snorkeling and beach stuff.  It's a good get-a-way place. 

Very different from the rest of Panama. 

coldcanadian wrote:

I'd like to come right now, butit isn't feasible. But hopefully maybe within the next 12 months, preferably sooner. Is that a growing area or more laid back?

We are coming to bocas March 20-23 and wanted to know how to meet other expats and if there are any events happening that weekend