Questions about locking a bicycle....

Hi...
While I'm aware that bicycles can be parked in an area with motorcycles... and attendant for a mere 2000 Dong... This just isn't an option everywhere.

What are the laws and rules governing chaining a bicycle to a tree or street sign..?

Several occasions I've had sidewalk eatery owners telling me not to because it infringes somewhat on their businesses when ironically they themselves are infringing on sidewalk space.

Can police cut my lock and seize my bike if I do this...?

Can't say for sure about Saigon, but you know what happens anywhere in the USA and I can tell you in my home country Canada too? Anywhere you go in North America if you lock your bike to a signpost or tree or any other fixed object on the sidewalk it gets impounded. I'm surprised you'd think it going to be any different there. If the shop owners tell you not to then it probably not legal to do it and they're sure to either rat you out or cut the lock themselves and sell the bike to the first bidder if you do. Either way be prepared to kiss that baby goodbye.....

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Thanks WJ....I prefer not to do it but sometimes the necessity presents itself...and for short durations only. Over many years in Asia... the most I've suffered was a punctured tire from a disgruntled soup vendor in Bangkok... Not once was it impounded.
I just don't know the practice in Saigon.

In New York it is common to chain your bike to anything stationary...couriers were notorious. can't say any were ever impounded because no one cares...

I brought a cool bicycle back about a month ago.  I also brought with me a serious lock.  But so far, I found no use for it.  If anyone of you ever need it, I would be more than happy to sell it to you, at cost. 

I rode my bike throughout the Mekong Delta.  I traveled through the furthest of back woods; and no one had ever given me sh-t.  As a matter of fact, I just wrote a post on how pleasant that was.  So, if you have problems with your little bike rides, re-evaluate your approach or yourself, in general.  Things should never get that complicated!

Best wish to all,
Howie

Last but not least, when it comes to Vietnam, get on the wrong side of a good dude, he can make you dissappear, let alone your little bike...  Never ride into here on a high horse!!!

Wild 1..... While I appreciate story of your uneventful little rides you took to the backwoods... I'm a bit perplexed as why you would need to warn me about getting knocked off..... For locking my mountain bike on a lamp post.... After all... That was the original question I posed...:)

Wild_1 wrote:

I brought a cool bicycle back about a month ago.  I also brought with me a serious lock.  But so far, I found no use for it.  If anyone of you ever need it, I would be more than happy to sell it to you, at cost. 

I rode my bike throughout the Mekong Delta.  I traveled through the furthest of back woods; and no one had ever given me sh-t.  As a matter of fact, I just wrote a post on how pleasant that was.  So, if you have problems with your little bike rides, re-evaluate your approach or yourself, in general.  Things should never get that complicated!

Best wish to all,
Howie

Not being so young, fit and crazy as Howie :P - I when and where ever I felt like, but on my motorbike.
A somewhat larger and louder bike than is normal in Sai Gon, like say the average Honda Lite Blade 150.

Only had one problem once, got myself lost just a little, ending up on a very narrow, dead end dirt road with a few older houses each side, in a fairly run down area. :(
Think the noise from the bike (it can be quite loud) woke a couple of guys up from their mid-day nap and they where less than happy about that ! :mad::(

In a year of riding, and despite warnings from my wife of all sorts of diabolical things that could happen, I found everyone, everywhere else to be very friendly, polite and always helpful. :D
Some peoples in a lot of 'civilized' western countries could sure learn a LOT about politeness and good manners from the average Vietnamese I met while riding around Sai gon and up to a few hundred kilometers from the city in the southern areas of Viet Nam.
From places like Da Nang down to Vung Tau, across almost to the Kampuchean border.
Treat the people with polite respect and that's exactly how they treat you back. :cool:
Being so ancient and going senile, sometimes I'd leave the keys in the bike when I stopped off somewhere for an hour or two, but nothing ever went missing. :D

The biggest danger was ALWAYS the buses, and WORSE, those crazy truck drivers ! :rolleyes:

Besides, locks only keep honest people from nicking things ! :lol:

Wild 1..... Perhaps you have been spending too much time in the "Backwoods".....pretty soon.... they'll have You " squeelin lika a pig" for em folks.....;)

Johnny,

Howie will NEVER be taken!!!  I don't know what breed you are and don't really give a sh=t, but DON'T ever get me mixed up with your kind.

They will have your kind, suit wearing-fools in the tropics, on the frying pan way before they do with mine...

So best wish...

Johnny,

BTW, did you rent that thing???  You don't sound like the kind that can afford it.

Wild_1 wrote:

Johnny,

BTW, did you rent that thing???  You don't sound like the kind that can afford it.

Howie.... wow, we are finally on a first alias basis here....We're definitely breaking ground....
Yes... I can say without fear of any contradiction... that the US Government pays me enough to purchase a "Martin 107 Mountain bike)....which I did....

Howie.... Have you checked the Amtrak schedule for the next five years....?

Johnny,

If you are going to make a run at me, you better come much higher than that.  Dude, I buy no Martin!!!  And what makes you think I ride Amtrak???  US Government...  I hope they are not paying for your trip?  That would be a waste of my tax dollars. 

Don't get me mixed up with your kind, Mr. Handout Recipient and Public Transit Czar...  I will never have that sort of aptitude.