Hi I am a new member with a question.

Hi everyone, I am happy to join this community.

My question is regarding moving to the Philippines. I currently live in Melbourne Australia and I am considering moving there to be with my partner. How do I go about it?

I am thinking about making my own business there to help support myself.

At this stage I am looking to live in the Las Pinas or Alabang area's, but the business I am concidering will be set up in Dumaguete.

Can anyone please advise me on what visa's I need to apply for and where do I apply for them.

I wasn't planning on doing this for a year or two but because my partners tourist visa application was knocked back because she is not a spouse or my finace' I feel I need to do this now.

Thank-you in advance for your replies.

Hi-  Regarding your question...let me start with a question:  Why do you plan to live in Las Pinas or Alabang when your business will be set up in Dumaguete?  Las Pinas/Alabang both...are a long ways from Dumaguete.  Why not just reside in Dumaguete?  It is much nicer there...and costs a lot less than in the Metro Manila area.  I have been to Dumaguete and liked it there very much.  It is a university town, vibrant...but has that laid-back provincial atmosphere.  Is your partner already in the Philippines?  Have you visited the Philippines before?
Your best source of info regarding getting a visa (I assume a working visa?) is the Philippine Consulate in Melbourne...or the nearest one if not in Melbourne.  They have a website you can check...and even communicate with them via e-mail.  Don't just take anyone's word for it...check it out with the official folks..those at the Visa Section of the Philippine Consulate.  You can also search the website for detailed info as what you need to do to set up business there. 
  If you have not done so...plan a vacation there first to see how things are for yourself.  Don't rely on what others tell you...including mine.  I can only give you info based on my personal experience.  You have to experience it yourself to know for sure.  And make sure you have sufficient funds to live on while your business is getting started.  It might be a long while before you can rely on income from your business.  It is great to have big dreams about doing business in a foreign country...but you must also be realistic and take precautions; learn as much as you can about life & business practices locally before you launch yours. 
  By the way, I am an American presently living in Washington state, USA...but have lived in the Philippines about 18 years.  I have also been stationed there with the U.S. Armed Forces and have lived in different locations so I have a pretty good perspective of what it's like living and working there.  I consider myself almost a native...and fluent in several languages and dialects.
  Wish you the best in your venture. 

Frederic Straight
[email protected]

very well said

Hi and thanks for your thoughts and advice guys.

The reason I will live in Las Piñas is because my partner lives and works in the area.

Dumaguete is my partners home Provence and that is where we intend on setting up a business.

I have lived in the area for 7 of the past 12 months as i mam married to a Filipina but now separated from her.

I was wondering if being married to a local would give me any consideration for obtaining dual citizenship?

Again, the idea of getting married to a local in order to obtain dual citizenship is a question that needs to be answered by the proper officials at the Philippine Consulate.  This will eliminate any guess work, assumptions and hearsay from just anyone.   
  So best is, when it comes to legal matters....take it up with the people in the know...officially, and not from the expat forum.  Just to be on the safe side.  For non-legal matters...like cost of living, "how to..." and "where to..." sort of questions...the forum might be an appropriate venue.
  If you don't mind, let me know how your business turns out ok?  I may consider doing something with my life later on.  Two cousins now residing in the Philippines have been asking me for years to join forces with them into some kind of business.  I have been reluctant...but now considering it.  I'd really rather just enjoy being there and not be burdened with business obligations or a job.  I'll do ok with my pension, I believe...so no need to want more than I am already happy with.
  Wish you the best in all your endeavors in the Philippines.

FCStraight

To Jantris:  Was that praise for me?  Maraming salamat.  Glad to be of help..to anyone.

FStraight

you must  be  fluent  in Tagalog  to obtain Filipino citizenship

Really? Considering the economy is partly driven by tourism you would think they want more people who are fluent in English and who can teach the locals?

Thanks FC straight, but I married my Filipina wife for love not for citizenship, unfortunately she was not ready to accept the responsibilities of being married and not drinking all morning with her friends and sleeping all day!

I only ask questions in here to get an idea just in-case someone has been through the same situation, obviously I will get advice on all my questions from the appropriate authorities, but thanks again for your input; much appreciated.

when you apply for  citizenship you will be  tested in Tagalog it  is  part  of  the  process, here, there  are  many here married to Filipinos who never  become  citizens, as in the  USA to become  a  citizen you must  speak english

hello what kind of buseness u want do ,u can look in site embassy for visa,and if u love her u can married her like this more easy for visa

if you become  legally separated you also loose  your permanent visa and  are  back on tourist visa and  cannot work without permit, better to get  divorce in your  country than you are   able  to marry again

Hi to all Filipinos in Maldives do you know someone working in Duty Free? ,. i need some questions only. thank you.;)

ResmieJohn wrote:

I was wondering if being married to a local would give me any consideration for obtaining dual citizenship?

Hello,

Unfortunately, being married to a Filipina DOES NOT grant you citizenship.

What is does, however, is reduce your residence requirement from the usual 10 years to only 5 years.

Also, if you are teaching in a Philippine institution (I am just not sure if teaching English in Call Centres would qualify under the term "institutions") then, your residency requirement is also reduced.

Another posibility is when the government asks you to work on a specific project.

Jayzl

ResmieJohn wrote:

Really? Considering the economy is partly driven by tourism you would think they want more people who are fluent in English and who can teach the locals?

Actually, the law says :

R.A. 9139
[The Administrative Naturalization Law of 2000]

Section 3 (f) The applicant must be able to read, write and speak Filipino or any of the dialects of the Philippines;

To stay in the Philippines, one need not learn it. I would suggest that you even learn Cebuano if you plan to put up a business in Dumaguete. The only trouble is, they don't offer Cebuano language in school.

Okieboy wrote:

you must  be  fluent  in Tagalog  to obtain Filipino citizenship

ResmieJohn wrote:

Actually, the law says :

R.A. 9139
[The Administrative Naturalization Law of 2000]

Section 3 (f) The applicant must be able to read, write and speak Filipino or any of the dialects of the Philippines;

To stay in the Philippines, one need not learn it. I would suggest that you even learn Cebuano if you plan to put up a business in Dumaguete. The only trouble is, they don't offer Cebuano language in school.

you picked a good place,dumaquete is really nice and a clean city,lot of forienghners there,im sure you can find a few australians there or nearby siquijor,if you need asistance in las pinas i have a very good ruputable friend there.in reguards to the visa you should consult the australian or philippines colsulate so you can anilize both,and decide which one fits best your needs.Good luck and hope to see you there sometime next year.Good luck my aussie brother.

it  is  very hard  to work here in the  Philippines, unless a company hires  you because  of  very special skills, jobs  that  Filipinos  can do are  taken, and  very few foreigners get  in, call centers maybe  but  your  co workers know  you are  taking the  job of  their  friends , and  permits are  not  cheap, best to have  a  business but  that  is  also restricted, lot  of  foreigners  had  internet cafe  but  now  their are  so many a lot  are  closing down, you don't need to be  a  citizen but  you must  be  legal, most  foreigner here  have income from home country, it  is  not  impossible  but  very hard  to work here

as an American you don't need to know  where your wife  is  to file  divorce, she  will not  show up anyway, you can get  divorced in Guam there are  lawyers there  that  handle  this kind divorce, the  cost  about $1500  you send  the  required paper work than when ready you fly to Guam spend 7 days as required by law than the  divorce is  granted and  after  a  short waiting period you are  single  again, i don,t know  about  your  country only America, you should be  able  to find  out  http://immigration.gov.ph/

GREAT PLACE DUMAGUETTE TRY FOR A 12 MONTH VISA FROM PHILIPPINE IMMIGRATION IN MELBOURNE ... I AM AN AUSSIE TOO LIVED IN MELBOURNE BEFORE .... LOVE THE PHILIPPINES AND WHAT IS THERE ON OFFER .. I BUILT MY OWN HOUSE AND ENJOY LIFE THERE .. MANY FOREIGNERS WHERE YOU ARE GOING , IT IS MORE REMOTE WHERE I AM BUT STILL OK  .. I GO BACK TO THE PHILIPPINES ON ABOUT THE 8TH JUNE .. I RECENTLY HAD MY FIANCE OUT HERE IN AUSTRALIA ON A 3 MONTH TOURIST VISA  ..APPLIED IN IMMIGRATION IN CEBU, ONLY COST 5200 PESOS PLUS TRAVEL COST TO CEBU FOR US ...   CHEERS

Hello amaglow2 -> Could you please lower your caps lock so as to read the reading? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie