Work permit and Visa

Hi All,

We're a married couple, both architect (from Italy and Argentina), who have been working for the last 2 years as volunteers (without any salary whatsoever) in a small community near Homa Bay.
We've developed some buildings for the local Orphanage and now, after the completion of the projects, we've decided to try to settle down in the near city of Kisumu.

We intend to establish some activities based in Kisumu.
We'll focus mainly on the building sector (small structures, houses or small residential complexes) as both designers and developers.
We want also to start a small activity in the food/catering and in the recreational sector.
Having also some other ideas we would like to be as much flexible as possible so in the future and under the same main business name we can run more activities.
Is it still possible to do it under the range of 25,000 / 65,000 Kes or we should prove 100,000 USD in our account?

If I've got it right from what we read around, the best way to go once returned in Kenya is to apply both of us for a tourist Visa (renewable for a total of 6 months) and immediately ask for an Alien Card so during this 6 months we can start to establish the company (can we do it in Kisumu?).
Once we manage to build up the company, I will apply for the employment permit (class D, should be 210,000 kes per year) and after that my wife will obtain a permit to stay as "dependant" (what does it means exactly). Do you think we'll be able to manage all in the 6 months?

My wife will be with me in Kenya since the beginning and we're also expecting a babe (kind of unexpected so we decided to deliver the babe in Kenya anyway) and we want to be sure that we won't be in the situation of having to leave the country for some issues with the Visa.

My wife will be an active part in our business, does she need also the employment permit? If so we would be in the position of paying 420,000 Kes per year which sounds a little bit too much for us at the beginning.
Is there any alternative solution for her permit?

Finally, do you know if a babe delivered in Kenya by two foreigner would be entitled of the Kenyan citizenship or if we would need any special permit also for him? Does Kenya government allow for a double citizenship (like Italian/Kenyan)?

Thank you in advance for your help, we would be very grateful if you can answer to our questions before the end of the week as we're going to depart on Monday the 18th.

Best Regards

Hello robert j rose.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

In meantime, do not hesitate to read the other thread on the Kenya forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi, I guess you may have already left, however, when you are ready do get in touch with me and I will advise accordingly.

Regards,
Gudka