Making it on my budget...

Hey guys, just curious about the cost of living in Jakarta as I am moving there at the end of June.

-Apartment, utilities, and transportation covered by my employer
-USD$2,000/month salary - tax free

Is this enough to live comfortably in Jakarta? Not a big drinker or club-goer if this helps...

Yes. Most Indonesians earn less than $600 a month without the luxury of their employer paying for rent and transport. Do take some time to look through other threads on the forum about living costs

i guess it should be enough, everything here is pretty cheap.
but of course you can't expect to live luxuriously

Basically what you are asking is will USD $2,000.00 a month be enough to cover everything else than housing, utilities and transport.  You bet it will, and if you don't want to bank most of that per month, you could live very, very well.  We'll also assume (as this is normal) that your employer will be covering the cost of your residency visa and working permit.

To put this into perspective, you're going to be earning about IDR 650,000 per day to either bank, eat, drink or wear.  That would make the vast majority of Indonesians salivate.

Definitely. You just need to cover for your food consumption and whatever else you want (entertainment etc) which shouldn't be much and especially that you don't drink much. Alcohol in Jakarta is expensive, most expats in JKT tend to spend their money on drinking. A lot. lol

Hey Annie, those drinks aren't just for us!  LOL  Let's face it…Jakarta gals know how to party!

Ubudian wrote:

Hey Annie, those drinks aren't just for us!  LOL  Let's face it…Jakarta gals know how to party!

*hiding my face* :D
I am a heavy social drinker and not proud of it. Haha.
Though living in Korea has made me a better slow drinker, which is good :D
I don't have so many friends here, so yet. no friends = no drinking :D

By the way, Bintang seems like a good idea to keep you away from your wallet. LOL

As beer goes, Bintang isn't that bad, but I prefer vodka martinis. 

Bali Moon just came out with a new vodka called Bali 9.  The name is derived from how many times it's charcoal filtered.

It's excellent and holds its own with the far more expensive imports like Stoli, Absolute or Sky. 

Yup!  That's just what I need...a good cheap vodka right here at home! 

Have a great weekend!

Hi there,
I have been living in Sanur for just over 1 month and it seems to me that you can very easily live well on that amount of money.  Of course if you add alcohol into the mix (other than Bintang) then the cost goes up quite a bit. I must admit I like red wine so do spend it a bit on alcohol either for a wine at home or out at a bar.  Might have to try the Bali 9 Vodka!
Hope you settle in ok.
Marianna

Hi i think it is enough for good living in Jakarta