Travelling to Kharkov for the first time, looking for friendly faces.

Hi All,

Im travelling to Kharkov in early March and was wondering if there would be any friendly (english speaking) faces that might be interested in meeting up ?

To be honest...this is my first time ever travelling overseas so am  really shitting my pants about the whole thing....but that was the idea, to do something REALLY out of the box :)

I would appreciate any help regarding Hotels vs Appartments and how I might get around the city to see the sites.

Thanks

Glen

Hello Glen.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

What kind of accommodation are you looking for?

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Aurélie,

To be perfectly honest, im not sure,  I think a Hotel or apartment would suit me best, maybe central to everything so that I can walk around instead of having to rely on my non existent Russian to communicate to Taxi's etc :)

My friends keep telling me horror stories of people always trying to scam or rip off tourists over there, from what I've seem Ukrainians seem very friendly, can you tell me if there is any truth to this ?

thanks for your reply!

Your first time ever Overseas, and you pick Kharkiv, Ukraine...in March...

and your Username: SirGollum - isn't that a reference to that creepy dude from that hoobit movie?

I don't think I wanna know why your going there..

ahaha, its for no reason other than adventure!  Im happy to tell the whole story if anyone wants...but its a bit boring :)

Hello Glen.

To note that the Housing in Ukraine section is at your disposal. Do not hesitate to post an advert there. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hello,
Do not worry, Kharkov is a nice city! I just returned from my third trip there, and each time it gets better and better!!

Feel free to message me and I will give you my take on the best way you can make it through your day with out looking like a tourist!!

Also what i have done on my first 2 visits to Kharkov was i stayed in a hotel close to city center, and then moved to an apartment for the remainder of my visit. It was much easier for me to adjust to the local culture this way, have breakfast at the hotel in the morning and then venture out to see the city. Doing it this way also helped me to go look at apartments and decide if the location was where i wanted to be and if i could trust whom i was renting from.

So if i can help feel free to message me and i would like to hear your story too!

Phil

Thanks very much Phil,

I will take you up on that :)

Hi Glen! Yes, Phil is very much in-the-know about Kharkov and also a  really great guy! I'm sure he'll have a lot of good advice for you.

Kharkov is a cool city and fairly easy to navigate because of the metro. There are only 3 lines so hopefully it won't be too confusing for you :p How long will you be in town for?

Katherine

Thanks Katherine !

For my first trip, I will only be staying 7 days, and I fully expect to have jet lag at least one of those :)

Im mostly a country boy, so any metro system will confuse me I think :)  But, its all about the adventure!

I live in a town of 65 people and I mastered the metro!! You have nothing to worry about!
The metro is easier than a Russian speaking taxi driver!! And also the metro doesn't find every hole in road and try to run over anyone in sight!!!

Good luck!!!

Thanks Phil, that's good to know!

Hello Sir Gollum,
I just got back from 70 days in Ukraine. I love Ukraine and cant wait to go back. I hope to get back there in August or September and will stay for three months. I went to Sumy,Poltava,Kherson and Nikolaev. I was in Nikolaev most of the time. Ok, so really, Your going there to find a wife, right? It's the main reason any man goes there. I met alot of locals and made friends. Every one of them asked if I am there to find a wife.  Since your Russian is non existent, you will need a translator. Not all day every day, but you will need one. If you haven't done so you need to arrange one ahead of time. He or she will meet you at the airport or train station and make your life WAY easier! It's worth every penny. Trust me.  Google English translators in Kharkov and you should be able to find one. Are you flying into Borispol?  I can try to give advice as best I can if you need it! Just ask! Good luck and have a great time!

Lol...No im not going there to find a wife, but can can certainly understand why people do!

I honestly really like Ukraine / Russia and have 'always' wanted to go there, but up until recently its been out of my reach, with work gobbling up 99% of my time.  Its also a stepping stone to a bigger adventure I am trying to piece together next year.

Im hoping to have a light grasp on Russian before go, so I can at least understand light conversation, but a translator does sounds like a excellent idea.

Thanks for the offer of advice, and I will certainly take you up on the offer!

Hello!

I`m Katrin, personal assistant / guide / interpreter in Kharkov.

My contacts:

phone: +38-098-210-35-04
e-mail: [email protected]

Goodluck!

Hi and welcome to Expat.com Katrin!

I would suggest you to avoid posting so much personal information on a public forum.

Regards
Armand