Close

Anti spam system & new rules

Hi,

in order to ensure quality to our users, and to considerably reduce the number of spam sent by private messages, we decided to set up a few new rules.

But we'll start with a few explanations.

Our definition of spam ?
Unsolicited emails or private messages.

How we detect spam ?
90% of spam is sent by new users
90% of spam are "copy and paste messages"

Please, please...
Don't send the same message to several users without taking the time to explain us how we could help you on the forum.

If you are a new user and if you post more than 5 copy and paste messages, your private message system gets blocked.

Stop asking us to unlock your PM system
You can unblock your private message system by yourself. How can you do that ?

Please take the time to present yourself on the forum, to participate to a few discussions (with real answers), and your private message system will be unlocked. That's it !

thanx  julien , but i'm not new user  and just wanna send my second privet message lol
thanx

Thanks for your help

That's great !

Bien note.
Merci beaucoup, bebe :P

By the way, how do you know people copying and pasting messages?
Do you have way to read people's private message?
Or do you have a system to automatically calculate the number of "same" message? :rolleyes:

Don't block me. I didn't mean to make spam. ;)

jc-0_0 wrote:

Or do you have a system to automatically calculate the number of "same" message? :rolleyes:

Exactly ;) everything is automated

Many people are complaining about this anti spam system ... do you think it's a good idea or not ?

Just to let you know, I will improve it this week end.

It will now prevent people "hey, stop sending copy and paste messages or your PM system will be deactivated" ;)

Hi Julien,
I didn`t mean to be a spam sender.I just need to contact to a person calls Traceyak. Because she is waiting a reply from me. butI cant answer, because of you blocked to me to send private messages . If you can help me to reach her I will be pleased. thanks.

Julien wrote:
jc-0_0 wrote:

Or do you have a system to automatically calculate the number of "same" message? :rolleyes:

Exactly ;) everything is automated

Many people are complaining about this anti spam system ... do you think it's a good idea or not ?

in my oppion,
IT will be a better anti system,If the blocking works when the same message is sending to the same person more than once. then bloking must activiated.
On this way How it is now, it isn`t good. Because I cant reply any messeges which is waiting an answer from me.
Thanks.

Hi Julien,

"Many people are complaining about this anti spam system ... do you think it's a good idea or not ?"
I totally support spam prevention efforts but if you want my honest opinion? I think the spam system here is maybe "too smart" that it could be turning the non-spammers off!! We are paying the price of someone else's crime :-\  And it is not clear what it really takes to activate the private messaging. You say exchange few messages with us on the forum... I've done that and I'm still waiting! After all, I think people like this website because they want to contact people and be contacted.

Cheers,
Bana

Reply to discussions (or start new ones) on the forum, this will definitely help ;)

thxxx

Am I considered a spam sender???????, I hope not... getting slightly worried, if I have done anything I apologise but it was not intentional, actually thinking about it I havent done anything, I look forward to a reply soon.

Kind regards always.

There shouldn't be any problem with your account. What kind of message do you get ? Could you please check ?

Thanks

I wish I got messages lol,

I did get one from someone in africa asking for money and claiming she is a refugee and and her father has millions of dollars, clearly a scam one would guess. but a part from that nothing else and it was only the once.

Hey Julien,
I've been registered since September 2009, and have sent private msgs before. Now, yesterday, I got a private msg from a new user!!!
I wanted to reply, but the anti-spam systems says I need to post a few times on the forum, in order to be able to sent private messages. Well, that's a little bit too strict, I think, but if it helps prevent spam, ok, I accept it. But I wonder why the new user (with no posts on the forum) was able to send me a private message, and I cannot reply, because my private msgs are blocked. It doesn't make sense....

Thanks

A>

cheers

Hey julien
Of course sometimes I need to copy some of my e-mails to my other frineds. Do I have to write all my friends individually? Sorry man I don't have time to do that. If you keep bolcking people's emails I am afraid you will lose lot of users. I agree to prevent from spams is a good idea but blocking the addresses are not.

Take care,

CK

Same issues on sending mgs here. The spam blocking SW is ok, but I think it should be reviewed.

C'est du grand n'importe quoi en plus je suis français et parle pas l'anglais on aurai au moins pu le traduire en français !

MrHappynappyman > please post a couple of messages on the forum and it won't happen again. Is it this complicated ?

LF91 > la même discussion est ouverte en français ici: http://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23828

Hello,

I come on your site, because a friend gone on a journey in the Vietnam and Cambodia did not return the planned date, it is the kind(genre) of nobody in not not given by news(short stories) and he of had to resume(take back) his work.
He(It) is injoignable by the telephone and we begin to be really worried
And regrettably we know nobody over there
Thus I allow of messenger of messages by means of your site the persons who are spot, you never can tell, with a little luck!!

Cordially

Xavier

Aww, mine is blocked too, I think.. :(

I'm not a spammer.. now I;m trying hard to unlock it..

I should have read what you wrote here, I have done "copy and paste", but what i was tring to do was saving my time and introudicing myself to expat living in my country, anyhow its a good thing. I hope it wont take long to return back, coz I cant make reply to my emails.

Hi Julien,

I suscribed to this forum cause I have a job for french-speakers canadian that live in Argetima.

I sent some private messages and got blocked. It is not a spam message Im sending. It;s just job offering.

You saw my add in the Classifieds section

Luciano

(moderated: off topic)

ya quelqu'un qui peut nous donner une idée en libye

mrisam wrote:

ya quelqu'un qui peut nous donner une idée en libye

Bonjour Mrisam et bienvenue sur expat-blog,

Votre message est assez sybillin et n'a pas l'air d'avoir un lien avec la discussion en cours.

Peut-être serait-il mieux que vous commenciez une nouvelle discussion tout en expliquant exactement ce que vous cherchez comme information.

Pour info, il existe un forum spécial Libye que vous trouverez en cliquant sur Forum Libye; je vous conseille donc d'y mettre votre message.

Bien à vous
Arlette

it is a good practise to avoid spam but some time genuine user may also get blocked because of this.

i was not aware of the rules and get blocked because of cut and past messages.

Should we inform spammers and let them know about this rule ? I don't think so... it would be more complicated to identify them

Hi Jul, :)

The rule with rules is that you must keep them going.
The way you do it now is correct. :top:

It is a good system Julien. To control spam messages.. Thats how we can maintain the quality of the forum..

If there is no rules, people will not get what they mean to get here,..

Well, I believe a few new users might not be happy as this anti spam is quite severe ... but this is the way to insure a quality website for our active users ;)

Its fair, but i just feel sometimes is not fair to identify every same kind of lines as spam. Majority are but not all

So yep spam control is a good mechanism of course, but genuine users should be taken as a separate case

you should have advertised right on the front
Now since you have or your automated system has blocked my messages so I will be waiting for how much time?
And I doubt that you are violating privacy.........:/
Don't do that

hassanalishahengr wrote:

you should have advertised right on the front
Now since you have or your automated system has blocked my messages so I will be waiting for how much time?
And I doubt that you are violating privacy.........:/
Don't do that

Dear new member,

My best advice: check out the forum of the country you are living in and participate constructively in a few discussions! I am sure you have some useful hints and tips for people who'd like to settle in your country.

After participating in some discussions, you'll see that your inbox will be released and that you can use it.

Cheers
Arlette

hi Julien , I cannot send private message , what can I do for it ?

Hi Onur,
You should participate constructively in the forums which are of interest for you and you private message box will unlock automatically!
Happy surf and participation on expat-blog
Arlette

New topic

Questions and answers

mexicogc
tessvarga
English Speaking Gynecologist/OBGYN
By tessvarga
planner
Current and recent wages Expat and Locals
By planner
Anderlynn
New member looking for affordable housing
By Anderlynn
Debibax
Going to Merida Saturday, October 1st.
By Debibax
therealsabra
planning to move to Cabarete - cost of living
By therealsabra

Expatriate health insurance

Free advice and quotation service to choose your expat health insurance

Save on your moving costs

Get free quotes from international moving companies. Compare prices and services.