Cheapest way to ship/mail a 3 lbs package from Canada?

Was curious.

I wanted to know how the mail system is there and if packages sent by Canadian postal service to Ecuador and if the 2 to 3 lbs package would arrive safely to destination or if there is no postal service there, what alternatives is there?

I would like to send 2 or 3 lbs grocery items (packaged) that are not available in grocery stores in Ecuador.

Anyone know what cheapest but sure way to get it there or aprox how much it would cost, and if there are taxes at the Ecuadorian border to pay for the goods that are values aprox $10?

Also, anyone have family send things by DHL or FEDEX and how much it costs or alternative?

Thanks for any help :)

Kind regards

Hello Molari.

You can consult our shipping partner for a free quote : https://www.expat.com/en/luggage/south-america/ecuador/;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Thank you Aurélie, the link did not answer any of my questions. But thanks for trying to help. :)

Here is a brief summary of my questions.

- Is there a reliable postal system in Ecuador.

- If a postal system exists, would packages sent from Canada arrive to destination safely regardless of time it takes to get there.

- If there is no postal service there, what cheap alternatives is there?

- If I mail a package, are taxes at the Ecuadorian border to pay for the goods that are values aprox $10?

- Also, anyone have family send things by DHL or FEDEX and how much it costs or alternative?

Thanks ahead for any help in this. Cheers :)

I would not try to send anything regular post, DHL will be your best bet. It won't be cheap though. We usually ship to Florida and then have a family member bring it from there on the plane but this is only for necessary things. If its not life or death I wouldn't bother, the cost outweighs the benifit. Call DHL and get a quote or go to their website.

Alberta Chris wrote:

I would not try to send anything regular post

Thanks Alberta Chris. :)

I understand that you would not send anything through regular mail.

Why is that?

Does Ecuador have a postal system, if so, only in major cities such as Quito?

What would likely happen if I sent a letter through regular mail?

Just trying to understand.

Thanks for all the help. :)

We've had 3 or 4 packages shipped to us through regular Ecuador mail.  They must be under 4kg and be valued less than $400.  We didn't have any problems.  It cost around $60.  The person receiving the package will have to pay an import tax based on the value of the package. 

Someone sent us a 5kg package via DHL and it cost them around $200 and it cost us $60 in import fees. 

A regular letter would likely get delivered where it's addressed.  There are roughly 1200 different postal codes in Ecuador so people can get mail delivered close to where they live, not just in the major cites.   

This is the postal service website. http://www.correosdelecuador.com.ec/pag … diInfo=192

Thanks for the link, jm141302 :)

I am glad you shared your experience with Ecuador's Mail system.
Also looking forward what others have to say about it too.

I checked the link and glad there is a postal service there and that letters and packages from Canada have a decent rate of getting to destination.

I checked Canada Post for prices and it all depends on weight, package.

Canada post seemed good and asking aprox $11 CDN to send the package to Ecuador.

Also at a site called Go Ecuadorseems mailing internally simple letters is ok.
This is what they are saying:

For sending information, gifts, money and other objects to your loved ones, business partners and other people while in Ecuador, we recommend you use safe methods. GoEcuador.com gives you the most trustworthy options for sending your stuff.

In Ecuador, the official mail system is the Mail Company of Ecuador (Correos Nacionales del Ecuador) which has offices throughout the country. It is a popular means but can sometimes be not so safe. We also offer a list of couriers and private postal services in the most important cities in the country. Being private companies, they offer safer and quicker sending of packages or letters.

Destinations and costs
The most common destinations for sending correspondence are the USA, Canada, Spain and Italy. The cost for sending letters up to 20 grams in weight is $1.50. This price includes stamps in the National Mail Company. Like any mail service, the cost depends on the weight. Packages with a destination to North America and Europe cost $20.00 a kilogram and if you send packages within America, it costs $15.00 a kilo.
In the private companies and couriers, the cost of letters varies between $30.00 and $35.00 depending on the weight. Packages cost between $35.00 and $55.00. With this service, stamps aren't necessary.

In Quito
National Mail Company

Ave. Eloy Alfaro 354 & 9 de Octubre
Tel: (02) 2 561 964 / (02) 2 550 880
Fax: (02) 2 560 785

DHL

Fedex

LAAR Courier Express UPS

This was a good learning experience.

Looking forward to other comments on their experience with  Ecuador's mail system. :)

We just sent an envelope containing documents only so it might have weight at most 1/2 pound. Went from Houston to Quito. Cost $87.

Also keep in mind that in most cities there are no real street addresses like we know them in North America. Some people get post office boxes so if you're sending it to a P.O. Box you might have better luck.

On person told me he got a birthday card from his sister, so he knows the mail system to his p.o. box works. Only problem was it took 7 months to get there.

There are a lot of Canadians in Ecuador. You might post on other forums and Facebook to see if someone is going who would have room for a 3 lb. package in their luggage.

Good luck!
Jan