Yacht Sailing

I'm from England, born a Geordie but I grew up in the Wirral near Chester. I currently live in Nha Trang, Vietnam. I'm single and enjoy sailing. I'm an experienced Yacht Skipper with many long passages behind me and around 55,000 Nautical Miles notched up. I have sailed many yachts as captain, from small cruisers to large Sloops and ketches up to 75 feet. I've owned and sailed a 34foot Ketch and a 45foot Sloop as well as sailing numerous yachts on Charter and Deliveries.

I'm available for social sailing(FREE) and commercial work(NEGOTIABLE).

Hello geoffsails.

Welcome to Expat.com! :(

Aurélie

Many thanks Aurélie! :)

Yes sure, write to me on [email protected]

I saw your pic taken in Nha Trang. Sailing is one of my must-to-do on my list.
Hope to meet up with you soon.
Best,

geoffsails wrote:

I'm from England, born a Geordie but I grew up in the Wirral near Chester. I currently live in Nha Trang, Vietnam. I'm single and enjoy sailing. I'm an experienced Yacht Skipper with many long passages behind me and around 55,000 Nautical Miles notched up. I have sailed many yachts as captain, from small cruisers to large Sloops and ketches up to 75 feet. I've owned and sailed a 34foot Ketch and a 45foot Sloop as well as sailing numerous yachts on Charter and Deliveries.

I'm available for social sailing(FREE) and commercial work(NEGOTIABLE).

Ah, so we do have a yacht in VN, HBMax will be so happy, his Marina won't be empty after all?

I'm also a sailor, moving to Vietnam in November.  I won't be bringing my yacht, I don't know of any marina where I can put it, but I'm thinking of storing it "around the corner" in Sihanoukville, Cambodia.  If a marina ever gets built in Vietnam then I will move it there.

Hi mate, would let you know about: have same history & experiences like you & here is my email:
sailingholidays att yahoo dot com - here my whatsapp & viber: +84 163 466 0987 & skype: sailingholidays1
Kind regards

delatbabel wrote:

I'm also a sailor, moving to Vietnam in November.  I won't be bringing my yacht, I don't know of any marina where I can put it, but I'm thinking of storing it "around the corner" in Sihanoukville, Cambodia.  If a marina ever gets built in Vietnam then I will move it there.

Wow, when I first saw your Avatar I thought CF was back to stir things up here again. ( pity ).
  I left my yacht in the bath tub, many years ago.

So there is a community of sailing in Vietnam?

Sproject wrote:

So there is a community of sailing in Vietnam?

There is not as far as I'm aware.  There's an Australian guy called Allan Goodman who's been trying to convince the government and investors to set up a marina around Nha Trang.  So far he's achieved very little apart from a bunch of web sites.

There are rumours about the possibility of a marina being established in Phu Quoc, but it's just rumour at the moment.

There used to be a Sunsail base in Nha Trang but it closed in 2009 due to difficulties with the local authorities.  The closest you get to sailing is hiring a hobie cat off the beach.

sailingholidays wrote:

Hi mate, would let you know about: have same history & experiences like you & here is my email:
sailingholidays att yahoo dot com - here my whatsapp & viber: +84 163 466 0987 & skype: sailingholidays1
Kind regards

I sent you a skype add request.  May be best to be in contact once I arrive in Vietnam, some time in November.

The best person to speak to is Ruud from Sailing Center Vietnam. He is pretty much the authority on sailing here and runs a yacht import company along with tourism related sailing trips (Catamarans and Trimarans)... PM me if you would like his contact info

They are building the marina at Bai Tien now

focussailing.com/ana-marina.html

Where did you get that information from? I made enquiries locally and came up with "nothing under construction, no plans to build anything".

They are working on the project for last 5 months, it located on right side of Pham Van Dong.
I am heading back to California for Thanksgiving now, I will return to Nhatrang in January and would like to joint sailing club too.

focussailing.com/ana-marina.html

Ana Marina
Focus Sailing is proud to announce beginning construction of Ana Marina, Vietnam's first private Marina on the sea. It will cater to all types of seafaring vessel and will provide Nha Trang with a base to promote, nurture and improve the quality of sailing in the province and across Vietnam.

The Marina site will offer many economic and tourism benefits to the rapidly growing Nha Trang market, and will serve to promote Nha Trang as Vietnam's premier sailing destination.

Some features of the Marina include:

· Boat servicing area - Designed for boats passing through that will need docking facilities, to stock up on supplies and repair sea vessels.

· Sailing School - Vietnam's first genuine sailing school focusing on the training and development of boat captains, boat crew and sailing companies. It will use training programs that adhere to the strictest licensing and training quality insisted upon in Europe and the USA, ensuring that sailing crews in Vietnam can offer the best levels of quality, service and safety found throughout the world.

· Luxury Hotel - This Luxury Hotel hotel will host sailing travelers, sailing conventions and general tourists from Vietnam and the rest of the world, offering stunning views of Nha Trang Bay. It will be operated to the highest international standards, allowing a truly luxurious way to spend time in Nha Trang.

· Restaurants and Shopping - The marina will be home to top class restaurants serving a host on local and international cuisine. It will also contain shopping outlets from some of the world's biggest brands.

OK stay in touch. Is that actually at Bai Tien (about 40km north of Nha Trang) or closer to Nha Trang itself?  The topo map on the Ana Marina web site looks like an area near Vinh Hoa just north of Nha Trang on the Nha Trang bay.

Of course the big question is -- will the rules about yacht entry to Vietnam be relaxed when the marina is ready? At the moment it would be next to impossible for a foreign flagged yacht to enter the marina (must stay within sight of Nha Trang customs house at all times, must hire a pilot for entry and exit, must have a guard on board 24x7, extensive fees and paperwork the same as any cargo ship or passenger liner, etc).  It looks like a big marina and I can't see that they will have enough local Vietnamese yachts to fill it if it ever finishes construction.

It is located at Vinh Hoa, 7 km North of Nhatrang.
They are working day and night to fill up the parking area and straight docking section now.
Khanh Hoa and Danang officials went to London in March to discuss with CLIPPER and tried to bring international yacht racing to Nhatrang and Danang in 2016.

I hope that they will finish the marina by that time and address all your concerns.