SA family moving to London soon

Hi all

Hope everyone is well!

My husband has just been offered a job in Central London and they want him to start in May. 

He has accepted and everyone is working hard to get sponsorship and a work permit.

I have a few concerns and have been researching but cannot get any firm answers.

Please help me with the following - (if you can only answer one or two that's great too!)

1)  Which area is best for a commute time of not more than 30 minutes or so to London but also for awesome Primary Schools for my son to go to when he's 4?  I've checked the League Tables but struggling to find a great school.

2)  If we are there on a work permit, will our son still receive free schooling when he turns 4?  Our friends live in Kent and have helped us out a bit with info and they said that from 3 children get 15 hours free daycare and from 4 free schooling but I'm not sure if they meant for people who have citizenship or for work permit holders as well??

3)  So many blogs online say that the Tube is terrible because it isn't reliable and very cramped etc.  We won't have a car so is it feasible to travel with a toddler and possibly with a new baby and stroller on the tube?  I know it's doable but would it be a pain in the butt?

4)  How difficult or easy is it to own property in London (not central of course)?

5)  Is a salary of 60000 per year before tax and deductions enough for 2 adults and 1 toddler 1 baby to live more than comfortably?  I don't intend working when I first arrive as I am hoping to be pregnant by then and seeing as I teach nobody will hire a pregnant teacher heheheheh :) Will wait it out till the following school year in September to start working

Okay I can't think of anything else right now :)

Thank you so much and hope to hear from many of you soon!!

xxxx

Hi evestyles,

Your topic has been moved on the London forum for better visibility.

Hello evestyles,

To answer some of your questions:

1. Half-an-hour commute in London is considered short. Not knowing more precisely where your husband works, I cannot recommend you any areas. The school age in England starts at 5 years of age. Check the Ofsted's reports on schools. They give more comprehensive information than League Tables.
2. As long as you are residents in UK your son can enter a state school for free at the age of 5.
3. Since you are not working try to avoid rush hours and you should be fine in the tube with strollers. However some stations don't have electrical stairs so that can be a nuisance. Buses are another mode of transport. They have special sections in the centre for strollers.
4. It is totally doable to own property in London. Just check how the English system works - it can differ from your home country. I recommend to live on rent first, though.
5. Your husband's salary is almost double to the average wage in London. However, it probably won't allow you to live in the prime areas of the city. Rent will be your biggest monthly expense.

Good luck with the move!

Thanks so much familytolondon

Was so excited while typing this that I forgot to mention where his job is based ;)  It's near Paddington Station and we are looking at Wimbledon although my husband likes the looks of Sevenoaks but I understand that is quite a bit further away from London.

My friend is currently in the UK and she said that we would get free schooling from the age of 4 whether we are residents or not?  Do you mean residents as in we are residing in the UK or as in we are legally residents of the UK (which I'm sure takes years and years to happen).

Hello evestyles,

Your son can have free state schooling in UK between the ages of 5 and 16 (not 4) as long as you are residing here (have your home). So, that won't be a problem for you.
Sevenoaks, that is in Kent, is considerably further away from Paddington Station than Wimbledon, and therefore means twice as long of a commute for your husband. However, it is a nice area and has beautiful countryside surrounding it. Both Sevenoaks and Wimbledon are popular with families.

Hope this helps!

You're a star, thank you!

Any idea what the fees for school are for 4 year olds?

Your son can have free nursery education 15 hours a week for 38 weeks of the year (from age of 3 until school starts at age of 5). If you need more hours expect to pay at least £4.5 per hour. This can be considerably more depending on the nursery, so do check in advance. Be in touch with your council's Family Information Service as soon as you know where you will live!

Hi again familytolondon

Hi there all

Info:
From South Africa
Husband has job offer in London
My son and I would go as dependents on his work permit / Tier 2 visa

I've just received a link to a UK visa site which says that dependents (which would be my son) are not entitled to any state benefits.

Wouldn't this include free schooling? I remember you said he would get free schooling from 5 years old?

I am very confused now.

This changes everything with our potential move as we cannot afford to pay up to 1000 pounds per month on nursery fees for a baby as well as school fees for a toddler or school age going child.

Can someone please clarify with absolute certainty.

Thank you so much!

Eve

Hi evestyles,

State benefits are money or tax deductions that people can claim if they are poor, sick or don't have a job. In your son's case it means your husband can't claim on his behalf f.ex. child tax credit or child benefit. State school is not a state benefit.

Hi Eve,

One more thing: Do check UK Border Agency's web site of your [url=http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/while-in-uk/rightsandresponsibilities/]ri while living in the UK. Hope this will give you more peace of mind.

Hi

My wife and I including children moved across here from SA in 2003. So we are familiar with many things.

1. I would focus on Loughton (Zone 7). You can catch the central line directly into London.

2. Children. Yes schooling is importnat and you would need to look very carefully at schooling as you get good and bad. You should be able to find good schooling for your son in Loughton.

3. In peak hrs in London the underground is hectic and yes will be a pain inthe arse as you mentioned. Best to travel after peak hrs.

4. Standard of living and accommodation here is very different to SA. You will realise that when you arrive. Try and focus on older or listed buildings as the rooms are bigger. Also make sure you focus on a good area. Loughton is a good area. Renting will be cheaper in Loughton rather than Wibeldon.

5. Teachers are in demand, so yes I do not think you will have difficulty getting work.

Anything else you can contact me on [email protected]

Hello Eve,

We leave in south west( Clapham common) it takes my husband 20 min to the city. It great to move outside of London but the time you spend commuting is a killer and the price for the train is more expensive. From zone 1 to zone 7

We have 2,1/2 years  daughter and have a family visa. She will have 15 hours a week in a state school from September  and from 5 years it will be free.

You will get a job quicker so you can find nanny to look after both kids while your son goes to nursery 15 hours a week.

Life is a bit expensive in leaving in London but at least your husband will spend less time traveling.