Roatan Hike - 2/08/13

I got up this morning, had coffee, ate one orange and then went for a walk. I hadn't planned on going very far but once I got on the road to West Bay I didn't feel like stopping. The road rises to about 900 or 1,000 feet above West End to the top of the ridge and it is a steep one. Once at the ridge-top the road proceeds West with quite a bit of up and down to it but sticking to the highest part of the island. It is only about 5 1/2 KM to West Bay but the many ups and downs make it quite a rigorous hike. I was able to look down on the South side of the island and see Flower Bay below and Coxen Hole in the distance and most of the rest of the island stretching out in the far distance. It is quite a view from up there. I reached a place called "The Lighthouse" which is a lighthouse replica that rises up 4 stories. They charge 20 Lempiras ($1) to go in it so I paid my money and climbed to the top. It is just absolutely the most gorgeous view possible from the top of it. And the wind blows quite briskly up there. Most of the wind here is from the Trade Winds and come from the East/Southeast which means the other side of the island gets the wind first and it is stronger on that side. I sure was sorry I didn't bring my camera with me. I think I like that side of the island better. Of course this side is more sheltered when the big storms hit. I can't even find words to describe how beautiful the view was. It is an absolutely clear day today and the slight sea-mist in the air made it even more beautiful.
     I saw a few property for sale signs along the way and if I were to live in Roatan I think that is the area I would like to live in. Up in elevation so you have a good view and always a good breeze to keep things cool and fresh. I passed several places where they have "canopy tours" - which involve flying through the treetops on "ziplines." It looks quite thrilling, but expensive - I stopped in at one of them and asked how much it costs. $45 it turns out, which is a bit beyond my means at present but I would like to try it sometime.
     A little further along I came to an unused dirt road turnoff from the highway and decided to see where it went. It only went a short way into the jungle before it came to an end - but what I saw there was interesting. There were some rock cliffs that I estimated to be 30, and in some places, 40 feet high - with some small caves in them. It brought to mind what Wayne Taylor had told me about his adventures on Roatan back in 1929 when he attempted to found a colony there. He said they had settled in a higher place that had cliffs, near the West end of the Island. So it all fits in. This is on the West end and it is the only place around that has cliffs. I believe I have found the location of the "Lost Colony" !!! It fits exactly with his description. I can see why he chose that area to settle in. It is the most spectacular part of the island and is the area I would chose to live in also. In fact, if I ever have the money I plan to buy some land in that area.
     I then departed from the place of the cliffs and proceeded to walk down into West Bay. That is where the really rich people live. There are many fancy resorts and big expensive homes there. But on the other hand it does not have much of a downtown area - even less of a place than West End. That is because the people there either eat at the resort, or in their homes, and drive into Coxen Hole for supplies. There only a handful of shops and restaurants there. So I walked around the beach area for a while and looked at the rich people until I saw there wasn't much reason for me to be there. I do have to say that the beach there is absolutely the best and most beautiful I have ever seen. I don't see how any beach anywhere else in the world could be better and more beautiful. I was wondering what I would do next when someone asked me if I wanted a water taxi ride to West End for $3. The price was right so I went for it and had a very enjoyable ride back home to West End. It is now 11:43 AM and I have already had an adventure today. And that is my "Roatan Report" for today!

Hi marcus9957 and welcome to the forum.

An introduction maybe?

Regards
Armand

Wow.... what a nice adveture you had there !! Sounds just amazing.
I found a gorgeous cave in La Ceiba 9 years ago that I will never forget.

Did you take any photos ? If so, you can add them to this forum