Moving soon

We are moving soon to Guate and I have a few questions. So for those that have recently arrived, or those that have lived here for years I look forward to hearing from you.

We will be moving to San Raymundo...smallish town up north-west of Guate City. We have arranged for our car to be driven down from Texas to Guate and know about the taxes to import it.
Are any items IN the car also taxed as well?  My husband wants to bring down several hundred DVD's, a train set, his tools, my sewing machine and personal items such as a box my dad carved for me back in the Middle Ages.

Will all these things be taxed as well as the car? And if so will it be the import tax plus the VAT? I am trying (rather unsuccessfully) to convince him we don't need all this stuff. His thought is that as long as the car is coming, just fill the trunk and back seat with packing boxes and do it all at once.  Is this rational?

Thanks.

Well,
It will depends on who is driving your car and how much they are familiar with taking car into Guatemala. Normally if the cars comes in as a tourist car they don't look much into the car but as yours will be coming with a driver and it won't be the owner driving it they might be more regarding.. and you might end up having to pay on these items.. yes importations taxes and Vat 12%.
If the cars comes on a tourist visa you don't have to pay tax. And you can do it after in Guatemala city.
Can I ask you why you choose San Raymundo?
Best
Armand

The Colegeo Gloriosa Manyana is in San Raymundo. They have a clinic that my husband will be working and a school, elementary through middle school where I will be working. We visited this summer and fell in love with the town.

So, if I brought the car in and imported, everything it in has to be imported. can I meet the driver, bring it in on my tourist visa then import it later? or it that to much like cheating? dont want to break any rules right at the start.also don't want to pay an arm and a leg for stuff that is 50 years old and battered.def not reselling this stuff!

I cannot reply to the taxation questions, as I came with a couple of backpacks and a computer almost two years ago. But FYI,I hugely regret not filling a container with my workshop stuff from Canada, as I have found it nearly impossilbe to buy woodworking tools that are even close to the quality that I had. Since arriving, I have bought a few things from LeeValley Tools. in the states, and not only waited a very long time to receive them, but was hammered hard with impuestas.
bueno suerte.
Michael.

For importation taxes you can consult the web site of the Tax office.. they have an online chat service and if you are not familiar with spanish using google translate at the same time help you get your questions through... http://portal.sat.gob.gt/sitio/index.ph … echat.html
Also if your car is more than 10 years old don't think to import it you can't...
Best
Armand

I wonder about driving a vehicle that is over ten years old into Guatemala -- I hope that is not a problem ;)

You will be able to drive it but not to import it..

Well, that's good to know as we're driving in :) I figure it's better to drive through mexico and guatemala with an old cranky vehicle and attract less attention :)

Do motorcycles have to be 10 years old and newer as well, before you can import them??
Mine are 25 years old. Would I be able to just pay more tax??

Regards,Alan

Alan:

Sounds like your motorcycles are more collectibles than everyday drivers. It would be my uneducated assumption that you could import them and just pay the tax... now once you became a resident, things are different with bringing in household goods and perhaps collectibles... I am hoping someone else might have a better answer for you tho...

Are you looking to move to Antigua? That's where I am headed in June :)

DQ

I have friends that have collectable motorcycles that never get ridden. At this time I have many bikes that don't leave my garage and I am in the process of thinning the herd. I think when I do make the move I need 3 of them.

I don't know yet if I will move to Antigua or Xela, or maybe Costa Rica. I am leaving the great white north in October sometime to spend 3 months each in Guatemala and Costa Rica. I am looking for a good place to call home before I leave Canada for good.

Alan, sounds like you have a good plan in place; when I leave the USSA, it will be for good. Costa Rica is so USA it's ridiculous; I would advise to go to a place that is not in bed with the USSA and make your new life...

Look forward to meeting you in Guate if you decide to go there or visit when I am there.

DQ

Thanks for the invite. I would enjoy visiting you when I'm there this winter. I too want to eliminate the USSA influence(amero) in my life as well. Antigua sounds like a good place to be around like minded north american expats. That's why I am exploring.

I suggest you just come and visit and check out what the country has to offer and make the expats a secondary focus. I would assume there are between 2,000 and 3,000 expats from the U.S. in Antigua and I personally know one of them. All of these people have their own ups and downs and of course can work as a support group for you and your family, but you are the one that needs to be sure what is right for you. Because when push comes to shove expats will be few and far between.

I say visit Antigua, San Lucas, Panajachel, Xela and even Guatemala City. I have been in Guatemala City for most of my 20 years here. I have also lived a year of so in Antigua and nine months in Xela. We are currently building a home in San Lucas since it is only 10 minutes from Antigua and 15 from Guatemala City.

If I can be of any help let me know and if I have the answer I will tell if not I will point you in the right direction.

Saludos

Hello GuateGringo :)

Can you explain a bit about your comment:

"Because when push comes to shove expats will be few and far between."

Since I will be one, I need to know more :)

Thanks

DQ

All I meant was it was important to make sure you were happy with Antigua not because there are a large number of expats because they all have their own lives as do you and when it gets right down to it survival, happiness and making your way will be all up to you. So do not rely on the expat community for anything more than what they are, people from the same or similar backgrounds as you.

ah, I understand now -- thank you for the explanation. That makes perfect sense to me. I would see the expat community more as a social thing rather than anything serious.

Thanks.

DQ

DQ,
When are you arriving in Guate? Have you decided Antigua will be your starting point? How does the family feel about your move? I have been here 20 years and mom still asks me to come home when we talk on the phone!!! Now I just say to her that I am home!!! Just returned for brunch in antigua at Cafe Condesa. Sunday brunch there is great, then we go to a cafe in the same block as Cafe Condesa. The cafe has a terrace on the third floor overlookng the park and we "people watch."

We are trying to find a place to rent in downtown Antigua so my wife can open an art gallery and i want to open an Pizza and Pasta place...

We are driving down in June, from Seattle.... with our four poodles, two standards, one toy and one teacup :)  Should be quite a road trip! :)

Yes, Antigua is my destination. I have found a house I want to rent for a year and then buy, so getting there and seeing it in person to "cement the deal" is exciting.

Maybe we can do a joint venture on the restaurant deal -- I've always wanted to do that, even when I lived in Mexico :)

Yes, mom needs to get the fact that we "are" home in Guate lol They never do tho. I am hoping mine will come visit and then decide she CAN live there. One of her fears is that when she gets "old" (she is 85 now) she might go into one of "those homes" and she doesn't want that, and neither do I. So my proposition to her has been, look, if you relocate with me I can hire a private nurse or nurses/assistants for you round the clock, it's affordable to do so, and no stress of not living in your own home. So we'll see how that works out when she comes to visit.

But I am very excited to get out of the USSA and get to a place where the food actually has the nutrition it's supposed to, no gmo foods, exremely affordable cost of living, and feeling like I actually have freedom; not the pretense of it here in the USSA. This country has changed 180 degrees, and it's ugly. Time to go. Time for a new adventure!

I have heard other wonderful comments about Cafe' Condesa, so I am anxious to give it a try asap :)

Did you file for your residency and/or citizenship in these 20 years? I will want to do that myself asap.

Well, it's another rainy afternoon here in Seattle; I am going to see the movie Oblivion today --Yesterday I turned 29 (again) so we are dragging the festivities out lol

Hope the weather is better in Guate :)

DQ