New to forum but not to Malta

Hello Expat.com people,
Name is David Rose and I spent 16 months in Malta working at RAF Luqa September 1972 to January 1974. I was short toured due to promotion but I wrestled with staying in Malta for another year or taking the promotion. The extra money won but I vowed to return.
Well, with work and family it took me 38 years to get back to Malta despite travelling the world in my employment with Nortel Networks.
It was wonderful to be back, there were changes of course but the place and the people were as welcoming and friendly as always.

I timed my visit (September 2012) to coincide with the International Airshow and had a great day out as well as the rest of the week visiting old haunts (Couldn't believe Tony's Bar was still there in Sliema, with Tony still in attendance!).

I'll post again as I have a website for RAF Luqa and also a project on the go for the restoration of an old RAF MCU Launch which is currently up on blocks in Marsaxlokk.

I'd love to live in Malta, just got to convince my wife who doesn't like the summer heat and doesn't want to leave the grandchildren!

Looking forward to getting know people on here.
Best wishes
David Rose (Gloucester, UK).

Hi David,

welcome to the forum.

Lot's of old memories ! I'm surprised to hear that Tony's Bar has been there for that long. Do you mean the one that is near the St. Julians police station ?

Cheers
Ricky

Hello Ricky, it's the Tony's bar on Sliema front near where the harbour cruise boats and the Tigne Sliema-Marsamxett ferry leaves from.
I've a photo of myself sitting at a table outside Tony's bar in 1973 and again in 2012!

Here's the 1973 one (the 2012 one is my profile photo)
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/djrose007/RAF%20Stuff/Luqa/Enjoying_a_HopLeaf_resized.jpg

Bongu Dave, glad you joined us :)
I also know Tony's bar, one of the remaining originals and steeped in history. See you soon, Mick & Lynn.
PS. Don't be shy about your work on The Vulcan, I'm sure many would be interested.

I've actually just got back from a meeting with the regional co-ordinators for Gloucestershire to work out which shows we will be taking the Vulcan to the Sky Club stand.
There's nothing in September so I might think about attending the Malta International Airshow again, 28/29 September this year, finances permitting!

Hi Dave

glad to see you've made the migration and welcome to the board. There is so much info available here it'll make your head spin; I'll not be surprised if it's not too long before you convince your good lady that it would great for the grandkids to come and visit you in Malta (think of the cheap hols for them) and the excuse she will have to come back to Blighty to see them. Best of both worlds chap.

Cheers Mike and Rose