Young Women's Clothing

Hi!

Are there any women out there that can help me get a better grip on the appropriate/respected clothing to wear in Ecuador? I do not dress risqué, but do not want to come off as a hooch in Ecuador?

Are shorts ok? Tank tops? Please let me know, so I can go through my packing to make sure everything will fit in.

Thank you!

Shannon

Not a girl but.....

Shorts and tank tops are just fine, girls here tend to pay alot of attention to their dress, hair and makeup.  It's almost weird to see a lady not wearing high heels, doesn't matter what else she is wearing.

Hahaha this is true- about the high heels with everything! I live near Quito (in the Valley- Cumbaya). Most Quiteña women dress nicely- but I'm more of jeans and a sweater type. I don't see a lot of shorts because in the mornings and at night it's super chilly- but during the day it can be hot. Gringos wear shorts and tanks and it seems fine, especially at Plaza Foch (Mariscal). I've lived here for over two years- feel free to ask any question you may have- and if you're on Facebook check out Ecuador Expats for a lot of information.

Thank you two for the quick response! Haha, thats funny about the heels and the nice dress, I really did not see that coming at all. I too am a very casual person, jeans and a T type of girl. Already joined the Ecuador Expats group, thanks Amyf. Seems like it will also be very helpful. I am sure I will be running more questions by you, so thank you for the offer. How do you like your stay there? Move for work?

I love living here. I just got my residency and plan to stay a long long time. I am a teacher but am not working right now. I worked at a private school here for a year and a half then I worked at a university.

Amyf,

Very nice. I can't wait to be there. Do you have a US teaching degree or what were you working off of? I am heading there to teach English, I have a BA (not in teaching) and a TEFL certification. Have had a few skype interviews, and have a few set-up for when I get there. But if you have any information/contacts/schools that you know and you don't mind sending them my way, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Shannon

Yes I have a teaching degree from the US (and a Masters and Doctorate). There are many schools here to apply to- your best bet is with any of the private schools- they pay A LOT more. Here are some to check out: Colegio Alberto Einstein, Liceo International, Americano, Cotopaxi, Sek International, Colegio Menor, etc etc. Most of these schools require 2 years of teaching experience and a Bachelor's degree. There's also language schools here where you can teach English, like EF, Wall Street Institute, and a few others. Good luck!

Amyf,

How educated you are! Thank you for the help! A lot of the schools, especially the language schools, I have been in contact with. Some I have interviews for and some I will follow-up with once on the ground. Working with one of them I will only have about 20 hours a week, making $400 a month, which is gonna be quite a tight budget.

Therefore hoping to get two jobs, more hours, or a job in a more prestigious International School, but that may be a long shot considering my lack of experience. Maybe they will find themselves in a bind though! lol I have sent a few e-mails out to some of them, but haven't really heard back.

Just wondering if you have heard of Cambridge Language School. I have had an interview with them and it seems to be looking good so just wanted to know your thoughts. You are awesome! Thank you!

If you have any leads/hear anything and you remember let me know!

I have seen Cambridge but I don't know anything about it. Did you also check with Wall Street or EF?
Good luck!

Amyf,

I have an interview with Wall Street the day after I arrive. EF I couldn't get in contact with, their e-mail bounced back.

amyf wrote:

I have seen Cambridge but I don't know anything about it. Did you also check with Wall Street or EF?
Good luck!

I go to Cambridge for Spanish classes in San Rafael they seem like a good organiation. I think they are looking for an English tutor. I can ask on Monday when I head back to class.

Alberta Chris,

That is a little far from where I will be staying, but anything helps! Just ask what they are looking for and let me know what they say if you don't mind. Ty in advance.

SHannon

[moderated: no free ads please]

Please, dont forget to bring some clothing that can protect you from wind/rain. Sometimes the weather in Quito is very chilly at the evening/morning. It changes several time during the day.

A nice warm pijama could be good too.
Most of Quito buildings has no insolation and the apts/homes get cold at night.

MariaPiaBlog wrote:

A nice warm pijama could be good too.
Most of Quito buildings has no insolation and the apts/homes get cold at night.

MariaPia is right. Your place probably will not have carpeting either, so a pair of slippers might be another good idea. Since I don't like slippers, I substituted extra-heavy socks of the type hunters prefer.

Bob