Driving license misery

Hello guys

I came in this country with great hopes ....... suddenly everything seems so f***ed up.

Applied for a driver license (since I am a poor third-world national), had to go through 20 classes (after reduction from 40 since I have a driving license for 11 years).

Did my lectures, classes, interim tests (theory, parking, assessment ......etc.) all with flying colors. Then came the road test

Failed the first time because the examiner merely wanted to fail everyone ...... Do this people get ego trips doing this???

Failed again, the examiner was professional, fair and everything, but just under stress I could not parallel park in one move and I failed.

Paid for a new test but I am not actually feeling very good about it, seeing people who fail for half a dozen times (or even more) and not get the license.

I am starting to lose my sanity over here. Getting a cab in the morning is almost impossible. Walking to the metro station with a rolling laptop bag, lunch box and wearing full suit = arriving all sweaty and sticky ...... Waiting for a cab at the end of the day by the metro station is also so tiresome.

I am starting to think to relocate out of the country actually.

what is the solution to this crap? I am really losing my mind, feeling depressed (borderline suicidal actually) and sick of everything.

Welcome to the tough world of Dubai driving license, which is said to be among the world's top 5 toughest licenses to get.  In between some crook drivers tried to take bribes and get the students 'passed' in first few attempts, but were caught.
Point is, at least half the people who you see driving on Dubai roads have actually undergone grilling and drilling for many months, before being able to fully pass all tests.  While the more number of tests one has to undertake may irritate the aspirant, please do remember that you are being trained to become a good, safe driver on the road.  The pain we undergo with the driving training and testing is certainly worth it.  I am one of those who had to go through nearly 20 tests, and I am not ashamed of it.  Yes it was expensive and took a lot of time, but in the end I am confident of me as a driver on the road, and I am able to rent a car and drive in USA or other countries when I go, and so far my driving experience is pretty good.
As people have complained, there are also bad drivers on the roads in UAE, this is a mix of bad attitude + poor training or a lucky early pass in tests.
Be patient and you will feel better after obtaining your driver's license.

20? You should be proud. I admire your perseverance and courage (and wallet size LOL ...... You paid no less than 4000 + (19 * 700) = 17,300) . I failed twice and I am already considering to call it off.

Now I feel even worse :S

I spent about 10K.  That was more than 15 years ago.

still it's too much money ...... But seriously, I admire your perseverance.

Brother,

Have you thought of the fact that maybe your not ready to get your driving license yet, I mean, maybe you might still need some training. I know the fees is killing you and the waiting is probably very demotivating, but truly, maybe your just not ready for a driving license.

Bad things happen to good people, hang in there and you'd get it soon.

Good Luck !
Saud

Saud1979 wrote:

Brother,

Have you thought of the fact that maybe your not ready to get your driving license yet, I mean, maybe you might still need some training. I know the fees is killing you and the waiting is probably very demotivating, but truly, maybe your just not ready for a driving license.

Bad things happen to good people, hang in there and you'd get it soon.

Good Luck !
Saud

I've been driving for 11 years, moreover I failed the 1st time because of the guy's bad mood, and 2nd time because of a mistake I made (could not park in one move).

Anyways, the good news is, 3rd time is a charm. I got it today.

And yes, it was demotivating and killing

Getting driving license in UAE is a big achievement , every expat (apart from those nationalities mentioned as special case ) has to go through all these I know many of my colleauges who have spent 8k+ and 1 years to get a license , it takes time and it will so dont loose ur patience . generaly people fail the test because of less preparation or overstress , so the best thing is to go for a lot of practice before test ,
and the most important thing is the confidence if they find u uncomfortable while driving or unable to handle the traffic complication they will fail u immediately , so next time be confident when u go for test , I got it in my first chance becoz i did a lot of training outside before going for road test and also I havent taken any stress while test.

also I will suggest you to discuss with ur friends who already got the license there are some tips which they might tell u how to convince the inspector.

My Nigerian wife passed her test first time.

No dash

No harrasment

No suggestion

But I'm 6ft, 160lbs, very fit and a black belt in several arts