Retiring to France Is it really possible?

Greetings and Bonjour, My wife and I have been talking about retiring to France in 5-8 years. I have been reading on a number of sites that this is difficult and is starting to appear damn near impossible. I find this hard to believe though, I do expect some issues to occur with this process. It would appear that a majority of issues take about three months until they are to be behind us ( i.e. Visas, buying property, drivers license, etc).

Is this really the case? I mean if it just about submitting papers and waiting three months ( approx.) then no big deal, but is this dream of moving to France really that difficult?

We will be semi retired but I am making contacts with law enforcement and military there ( and in Germany) to instruct on related topics. My wife will probably be looking to do the english teaching route or we have discussed the possibility of opening a small cafe.

Any thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated.

And we will be in the South of France in the summer of 2015 if anyone wants to meet up.

Take care and Thank you in advance, Roger

R. Nestor, I'm eager to see what you learn. My husband and I are already retired, but our dream is to live out how ever many years we have left in South France. Our research, so far, has led us to be hopeful. The one problem we haven't solved is leaving family and the added costs of travel back and forth to see family. Keep us posted on your progress. And good luck!

R. Nestor wrote:

Greetings and Bonjour, My wife and I have been talking about retiring to France in 5-8 years. I have been reading on a number of sites that this is difficult and is starting to appear damn near impossible. I find this hard to believe though, I do expect some issues to occur with this process. It would appear that a majority of issues take about three months until they are to be behind us ( i.e. Visas, buying property, drivers license, etc).

Is this really the case? I mean if it just about submitting papers and waiting three months ( approx.) then no big deal, but is this dream of moving to France really that difficult?

We will be semi retired but I am making contacts with law enforcement and military there ( and in Germany) to instruct on related topics. My wife will probably be looking to do the english teaching route or we have discussed the possibility of opening a small cafe.

Any thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated.

And we will be in the South of France in the summer of 2015 if anyone wants to meet up.

Take care and Thank you in advance, Roger

Hi Nestor,

I'm french but living in Scotland.
First of all, yeah the paperwork in France is an absolutely nightmare, specially if you don't speak french. Since i've moved to UK, thanks god its just an old memory.
The driving license is nae a big deal if you got a UK one. Same for visas, there is no need if you're from Uk. (I've seen York on your profile so I guess its the case)

Opening a small cafe is almost impossible for a foreigner, or pretty hard. Starting a new business in France is quite complicated anyway. English teaching will be possible in some private schools if your wife speaks french. In public school that's the same, you can forget it.

Otherwise, if you just fancy buying a house and spend your time over there its not that complicated... Paperwork in France is shite but if you really want to live over there you have to use to ! :)

Thank you for wishes. Right now it would appear that we need it but with having a number of years to go, we're not giving up yet. I can say that the friend issue doesn't concern me too much. We already have some very close friends in Nantes and I have always found the French to be very nice and willing to talk ( even if you have differing opinions) as long as you speak their language, know that we ( personally and as Americans) have flaws and finally adhere to their cultural norms though they may be different from ours.

Good luck to following your dream too and maybe we can help each other out over the years.

Thank you for the comments. Actually we are in York, Pennsylvania ( USA). Who knows maybe I can give bagpipe lessons when we move there. Ha!

hahaha my mistake I just saw it.
bagpipes is like french burocratie : bloody hell ^^

LMAO!  Aye, they can be. :-)

Hi guys,

Don't be put off by the bureaucracy. The paperwork in France can be tedious but there are very clearly defined processes to be followed to do just about everything involving the government. The problems arise when someone decides that the rules are just too stupid and they think they can find a way around them. Most of the rules are designed to protect you from being ripped off which happens outside France with monotonous regularity and everyone screams 'Why doesn't the government do something about it'. It took me 9 months from putting in an offer on a house to settlement. I had researched all the processes so i knew what to expect and wasn't concerned as it will only be a holiday home for a few years until i retire. France does not subscribe to the instant gratification model prevalent in the USA so expect everything to move at a much slower pace. It is attitudes and expectations that cause the most stress and friction.

Regards.

And that is what we're looking for.  Thank you for your view, it is what I suspected and like you, the slowing down of the system doesn't bother me.