How the way can speak with foreigner?

It`s very difficult, i`m rather afraid of speaking with foreigners, i without got to talk with them, my english is still very bad, i only hope through the forum everyone will help me to search the best way learn einglish

It is my experience that people who have Vietnamese as a mother-tongue have trouble getting their tongue, teeth and lips lined up to speak English.

I have just posted an updated list of resources < https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 01#1056231 > and I suggest you look at the BBC and TalkEnglish to begin with. There are diagrams showing how to place the various components of your mouth whilst pronouncing sounds.

Many sites offer download facilities which allows you to practice off-line, cutting those InterNet charges.

Some VNese wish to learn how to talk "American". My suggestion is you learn how to speak English from an English/Australian source in the first instance, then learn how to drop 'Ts', etc afterwards.

Some VNese expressions are not the best when used in English such as "According to my opinion!" rather than "In my opinion".

Personally I don't emphasise grammar - you never learned grammar when you first heard your language spoken by family members. It comes naturally. Besides, these days, colloquial (thong tuc, thing dung) is more important than a 'book' version.

I have two students who have trained at HCM University who are very knowledgeable in vocabulary or grammar but their pronunciation is far worse than children selling books, etc. on the streets.

I like Viet Week as a reader, most of the English is well written and a source for words you often don't hear from language books.

Some instructors, teachers have a teaching degree, charge a lot of money for little. USD$10 is high, IMO, for students in a multi-student situation. One, I learned, even charges VND2,000,000 every month for 3-4 lessons!

Personally, I assign about 14-20 hours a week to instructing, at no cost, when I am in TP HCM. (Don't ask - I have a waiting list) My two Foreign partners also assign even more time for English instruction and school homework but they are based in Buon Ma Thuot.

Another source for instruction are 'English Clubs' where many people in your situation can interact with others. One person, USERNAME Phi Long has an English Club and you should contact him by PM.

Read the Vietnamese newspapers in English for a start, ALOUD. Many Vietnamese can write decent English but speaking is another thing.
The subjects in the news will be of interest to you and you can check your UNDERSTANDING by referring to the Vietnamese version.
NEVER use online translation tools. Just the originals as published by the newspapers.
http://tuoitrenews.vn/http://english.vietnamnet.vn/http://www.thanhniennews.com/pages/default.aspx
Find a friend to learn with you.

@hELLnoi wrote:

...Find a friend to learn with you.

I have a studnt from a poor family and he has just lost his bedroom because his brother got married and his sister-in-law in now in the house too.

He complained he has nowhere to practice as he sleeps on the floor ion the ground floor and when the TV is running he cannot concentrate.

I suggested he sit in the toilet and practice. He is now a happy camper and has privacy with occasional interruptions!

Remember, most Foreigners here enjoy a far better standard of living than many VNese. Learn what a 'Chinese Wall' is (not GREAT Wall) and you will understand how it is useful.  Many homes have strings running across the ceiling. At night sheets are hung across them to afford some privacy.

can you introduce a friend for  me?

Quy,

Would you like to know Anatta?  Or Budman??  Or Ashard???

Wild_1 wrote:

Quy,

WICKEDDDD...
:D:D:D

Wild_1 wrote:

Quy,

We are no friends of yours!! Right? Budman or Ashard, who is this guy?

someone always ready to butcher someone. and no one help you but J.

quy_cathaylife wrote:

can you introduce a friend for  me?

In HCMC, there is an English speaking club every Sundays. You have to check if there is a same club in Hanoi. Check your PM.