Santa Barbara

Im interested in renting in Santa Barbara Any have knowledge of a good web site? Is there an expat english paper? Any help would be appreciated

Hi sider1000!

I would suggest you to post an advert in the Honduras housing section.
It might help!

Regards
Armand

What other sources are there for info. on rentals in Honduras   besides this forum Anyone? This is quite difficult Does not seem to be alot of info floating around Dont think Ill get off the plane and ask a cab driver.

I went to Santa Barbara last winter as I was also curious. I was very disappointed. I had a Honduran girlfriend that warned me that this area was actually dangeroous. The town for it's size has nothing except a nice central park. Only a couple of restaurants I was shocked by what I saw. The area seems nice with all the green hills surrounding it, this makes for a nice ambiance. But it gets very hot there due to the elevation and lack of wind. If one wants to rent in Santa Barbara or anywhere in Honduras you need to go there and walk around in the area you would like to live and look for 'Se Aquila' for rent signs here and there. Anything you find on the net will be overpriced. And almost always they will be completely unfurnished unless in some highrise in San Pedro or Tegu. If you don't speak Spanish you have no business in these remote areas like Santa Barbara. A much better place nearby is Trinidad. This place is totally unspoiled and shows pride of the citzens. Check my youtube presentation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D222dIPvVAM  Trinidad, Honduras

nos vemos...

Dean is correct that the best (and sometimes only way outside of the larger cities) to find a rental house is to go there. People always want to make arrangements before coming here but that is really a big mistake for so many reasons. It's better to go, look around, ask around, and really check out the place you are going to rent.

There is an expat Yahoo discussion group about living in Honduras but I don't know if there are any members in the Santa Barbara area.

Great video, Dean. Trinidad looks really nice and so clean.

sider, I saw that you put an ad for a long term hotel room in Santa Barbara or Roatan. Roatan is going to be a much different situation than Santa Barbara. There are endless fully furnished homes, apts, hotel rooms in Roatan because it is a tourist destination. The cost of living is going to be much higher there though.

Depending upon how long you are planning on staying, looking for long term hotel room in Santa Barbara is probably going to be more economical than a house in the long run since, as Dean mentioned, most houses and apartments on the mainland are completely unfurnished, not even including a stove or refrigerator. Not all, but the vast majority.

Still, again I would recommend coming here to check out the Santa Barbara hotels and bargaining for a long term rate in person. I don't know Santa Barbara, but some of the hotels I've seen in other areas are pretty bad!