Retiring in Belize at age 45

Hello all,
I am thinking about retiring to Belize when I am 45. That is three years away and my only daughter will be graduating High School. I would love to rent in Ambergris Caye and I was wondering if I we (my husband and I) could live there on $3000 a month... Please let me know!!

We plan on living like a local, with local foods and a simple life..

Hi
My wife and I moved (after visiting on holidays for around 14 years) to Ambergris Caye in May of last year and have been renting an ocean front condo whilst our house is being built.
With a monthly budget of US$3,000 and planning to 'live like locals' you should be able to enjoy a very nice lifestyle.
Good luck with your plans.
Regards
John

http://www.abelizehomeforus.wordpress.com

Yes, and at 45 you will be eligible to apply for Belize's QRP -- Qualified Retirement Persons program, should you desire. 

You will live well on Ambergris Caye on $3000/mo and on the mainland, where it's less expensive to live, you can live like a king on that amount.

As to the QRP (Qualified Retirement Programme), the link below will provide you with a fair amount of information about it:
http://www.belizeretirement.org/faqs.shtmlhttp://www.abelizehomeforus.wordpress.com

Thanks for all the posts. I am really looking forward to getting away from all this snow in Wisconsin and enjoying the island life with island food and wonderful people... I have sacrificed so much being in the military for 23 years.. I deserve a piece of heaven!!!!

One other question... Could I retire under the QRP but my husband get a work permit or do we both have to be under the QRP. I can't find any information on this.  Thanks in advance for any advice you can give..

My understanding is that as long at the person  applying for QRP can meet the necessary requirements the husband/wife of the marriage doesn't need to be dependent. In such circumstances they could apply for a work permit (or Residency or Citizenship for that matter).

John is right.  I've known two couples in this situation. In one case, one was on the QRP and the other the Permanent Residency program (with work permit).  In the other case, one was on the QRP and the other on a tourist visa. There's no requirement that a couple both do the same program.

Can't answer any work permit questions, though, as we are retired.  :D

Thanks for the quick reply. I think that is a better option for us.. My husband will go stir crazy if he can't do something.. He is getting his captains license and also has licensing in fuel piping to include natural gas and propane.  So we like to keep our options open if possible for him. Me well I will be laying in a hammock somewhere.

As far as getting a Work Permit is concerned you will need to contact the Labour Department. I believe that you can get 'Permits for either 6 or 12 month periods. The cost will depend on the type of job. A friend obtained his by going the self-employed route ( no set trade) and it took him around 8 weeks to obtain it.

abelizehomeforus.wordpress.com