Moving to Bangkok

Hi all,

I'm seriously thinking about moving to Bangkok in a month or so. I say "thinking" because mentally I'm still trying to accept that to do this, I will need to liquidate my things and basically cut my roots off from the city I live in. I've taken month long trips but always had a home to come back to. I won't this time so I need to get over that.

I'm not sure how long I will stay but I'm pretty committed to staying at least six months. I might move on from there to another country or stay a bit longer. I have no hard plans.

If there was ever a time to travel around the world, now would be it for me, or so everyone keeps telling me. I think it is.

Looking forward to learning as much as I can before I jump on a plane.

Hello latersbra.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

Hi latersbra,
It all depends on you. Thailand can support all lifestyle.

Your monthly budget can start from as low as 12,000 THB including the accommodation for a single person. Sky is the limit for luxury.

The major costs to consider are accommodation & Traveling.
Accommodation cost starts from 3,000 THB months up to +200,000 THB. Apartments in Thailand usually encourage tenants to sign up for a minimum of one year contract. Rent for one year contract is usually cheaper than short term contracts (any duration less than 12 months). When signing a contract, the apartment owner will often require you to pay 2 months' rent as safety deposit and additional 1 month's rent in advance. Utility charges may vary (electricity: 5-7 Thb per unit; Water: 18 THB per unit).

Traveling expenses are also up to you. Remember to be familiarizing yourself with the roads as soon as possible. If directions are not clearly conveyed, taxi drivers will take you on a jolly ride around the whole city before clarifying with you. This can be a unnecessary costly expense for you.
NO MATTER WHAT...ALWAYS KEEP YOUR VISA AND OTHER PERMITS UP TO DATE WITH THE IMMIGRATION OFFICE.

Daily spending is also up to you. The food is cheap. As long as you are not picky with food, you will have no problem. However, try eating from a clean restaurant.

Hope it helps

Thanks Expat. Some really good information.