Looking for Korean Friends! :))

Hi Im Grace, A FILIPINO. Born and raised in the Philippines! :) 20 years old. Just want to know how its like to have a Korean Friend :) Just thought we could learn from each other's cultural differences hihi :"> Ill tell you anything you wanna know about my country. But you should tell me yours too haha :)

Message on this post if you wanna be my 1st foreigner friend! :)

hi, i'm korean but I've only been to korea twice in my life for about a total of 1 month. I wish I knew more but I don't. I think I know more than enough for any foreigner though. feel free to send me emails about anything you want to know :)

-Phil

Wow. Im surprised that someone had already replied on my post. Thanks to you for that :) I have a lot of questions regarding on your culture actually. But I wanted to know you first haha. So why are you staying here? :)

It's cause I'm new to this forum. I checked it daily since joining. Lol

And why I'm here, short answer: work. Long answer some other time :)

I can't get my stupid pm function to work and not even sure if my email shows up to other users.

Btw, when you say a lot of questions, you kinda scared me off lol. Thought you just had a couple but test me.

I'm Phil by the way :)

Im a newbie here too. :) Just signed up this February.
So how's your life going here in the Philippines? You know, Im always curious about how do foreigners think about my country. But since I dont have any foreign friends. It is always left unanswered. haha :) And another thing, if you have anymore question/s about the Philippines, I will be very happy to help you :)

Lemme guess your another reason why you're staying here? I think you have a Filipino wife. I dunno. Just guessing :))

About my questions, I read a lot of forums/blogs wherein they're saying that MOST Koreans are obnoxious and racist. Do you think its true? And why do you guys believe that it is rude to pour your own drink during drinking session? :))

Btw, can you read Hangul or speak in Korean? :))
Theres no email address indicated on your profile so I think it cant be view by other users. :D

Im Grace! :)

Happy 20th Birthday, Grace!!!

Life in PH is good so far. I love so many things about it and there are other things I wish were better. No wife here. Like I said there is a long version to why I'm here but I mainly came because of job opportunity.

Regarding your comment on obnoxious and racists. I'm not really sure how to answer that. It really doesn't matter what ethnic background you have because you will have these in every ethnicity. I do think as a general sterotype, most koreans are not obnoxious but I would lean to say most are racists (although the word could be changed from racists to prejudice maybe?). Racists has a negatitive connotation, but I think most people do tend to prejudge people based on their background. I catch myself doing it all the time too so I don't know if that's the korean in me or if that is just human nature. And with the world becoming flatter, the word racist seems to have a lot more exceptions based on the region they are from. And this tells me it's not really racism, it is more based on culture that has been nutured.

"Koreans are rude. Koreans from the US are not but the one's from Korea are."

"Chinese people are...but the ones born in PH are not."

That is more of a culture thing rather than a biological thing. But yes alot of sterotypes and prejudging.

Also, something I noticed personally. As I mentioned, I'm from Los Angeles. Note: This is the korean in me sterotyping hehehe. Anyway koreans here in PH are much different from the ones in US and the ones I encountered in Korea.

The drinking thing, what I was told before was that it's considered bad to pour your own drink because it is almost like you're an alcoholic. It is still considered rude around elders I believe. It is customary to accept a drink and always offer one back. With elders you should use two hands to receive and pour and in some cases to look away to drink. Among friends, these rules do not apply.

Among friends, it is them that is rude if your glass is empty. You are never to pour yourself a drink so if your glass is empty, they should be pouring for you. Of course, we are not waiters and waitresses, so we are not always mindful of our friend's glasses. If your glass is empty and you want more alcohol, you tell your friend to finish their alcohol and then pour them another, in return they pour one back for you. The cool thing about this is that it really becomes a social drinking session. Everyone is to get drunk together. The new thing I heard the younger kids made up was that if you pour yourself a drink, everyone on the table wont get laid for 6 days. So no one lets anyone pour themselves a drink :)

And my korean (hangul) is at a kindergarten level. >_<

-Phil

EDIT: Happy birthday :) Are you 21 now?

Whoa now mister mathematician...I didn't look at her profile.

She mentioned she was 20 before today so I just asked a simple question. Sheesh.

Hi Grace,

I'm the newestbie here on expat. Your post caught my attention. I was teaching Korean students before :)

If you have questions about their culture and anything under the sun about them, maybe I can help you discovering some.

hello...just dreaming also to be in Korea someday, my sister already went there for a 1 month church invitation when i was in high school, she told me so many good experiences from there.. I do love Korean songs and played on my mobile.. :)

thanks for the nice thread grace! how is your post here going on?

Hi I want to have Korean friends who living in the Philippines feel free to send me a message