Driving a motorhome to Panama from Los Angeles

I am thinking of driving my motor-home to Panama.  Has anyone done this?  I enjoy meeting people and visiting areas not normally seen by visitors.  If I could find someone driving down in a motor-home I would like to caravan with them.

The more research I do the more I think I will just fly down the first time. Still undecided.

Hi HS principal !

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

I would think you would be better off flying in your first time and renting a vehicle and seeing what the roads are like first.  I know the road from Almirante to Boquete for example is pot hole riddled.  You have never seen so many potholes that will remove your teeth.  And the roads here are narrow and not well maintained and in many cases there are no shoulders.

There are so few motor homes here that they tend to stand out.  I'm not even sure where you would service a motor home here in Panama.  Don't even have a resource for you to contact.  Have you researched campgrounds in Panama and where they are located?

Hey HS Principal,

Good to see you here in the forum. Like AuntieFlo said, flying down might be best the first time around, just because making the trip by motor home is risky business. That's a serious commitment. However, if has definitely been done before. People do it all the time. Some come here to stay and some stop by as they make their way down into South America. I met a couple awhile back, who own a restaurant/RV campground in Santa Clara, which is a cool beach town along the Pan-American Highway.

The name of the place is XS Memories. Their site has several outlets and parking spaces ready for people passing through with RVs. They make an awesome burger too, one of the best in Panama. You can check out their site for more info and for their contact information. Go to www.xsmemories.com. I'm sure if you call them or email them they'll tell you about their experience driving to Costa Rica first, not loving what they saw, and then continuing on until they reached Panama.

Hope this helps,

Chris