Exploring living in Ecuador

I'm interested In retiring in Ecuador. I'm going to stay in Quito Feb 6 to the 8th, can anybody tell me the best place to stay so I can shop for groceries, clothes, eat at restaurants and get a good feel for the city and culture in the short time I have there, Thanks in advance

Hello RickRoman.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

Rick, I would recommend the Marriott Hotel due to location close to shopping, park, dining and night like. Also has a good gym. As an alternative, consider more south in restored old town.

Perhaps an idea of what you'd like to spend per night would help with suggestions.  The Marriott is a great hotel, but it's also one of most expensive.  I walk by a hotel every day called Folklore (search Google for Folklore Hotel Quito).  It's in the La Floresta neighborhood, which is perhaps my favorite section of Quito.  I think it starts at $35 a night breakfast included. It's just down the street form a supermarket.  Nearby restaurants range from high-class restaurants on Ave Isabel la Católica to the nightly street food in the Parque de las tripas mishqui.

La Casona de Mario is also in that area and starts at $12 a person.  I haven't been inside, but the street is quiet and it looks nice from the outside.

Thank you both so much for the info, I'm checking on both and yes , price is important, but this is a fact finding stay for me, so excited about being there, Going to look at folklore my Casanova and Marriott, Thanks again for responding, your help is appreciated....Rick Roman

Booked to stay at the Folklore during my stay, Thanks JM and FD

Try http://quitohotelbonanza.com/  Pat and Nora Minga are great hosts!

Susan