I am moving to Colombo

Hello everybody

I am moving to Colombo in August and would like to know if I wouldn't be too lonely(I am moving on my own.
Is it easy to meet people?What is there to do in Colombo?Many clubs to go to?Anybody knows the Alliance Francaise?
Thank you for your replies
Sandrine

Cool ! , its pretty easy to meet people , you will find few nice clubs and pubs around Colombo and there are some french expats live here. don't worry you will not lost of feel bored , it will be fun !

Thank you Slim(is it your name?)
I have to admit there is a part of me who is a bit worried...

I saw on your profile that there is nothing you like about Sri Lanka or did I misread it?:)

lol ,My name is saptha , u may find me on my web
saptha.com or facebook

well I have to accept that I'm not pretty happy with sri lanka because of the politics and stuff or else its really a paradise , there are few places you find like this , if you wish to visit wild life , awesome beach , mountains waterfalls jungles and every type of nice places around here, best thing is it will not cost you a lot.

Hello Saptha

Thank you for your reply.
I am just scared of living a very different life and if I happen not to like it, well I will feel pretty isolated...
I really hope I am not going to feel lonely.

I do understand about the politics...A good friend of mine had to live Sri Lanka because of it.
Are you singhalese?
How is the situation at the moment?

yes I'm Sinhalese, now everything is focused towards politics, you better make it after 27th of this month, best thing about sri lanka , whatever happen foreigners are always secured , even on roads and even on remote village people respect and protect foreign people.

what do you mean by I should make it before the 27th of this month?

I am actually moving in August.

I am still wondering how I am going to settle in Sri Lanka...how is it going to be?I am sure the sri lankan are lovely(I have a good friend who is sri lakan) but the cultural shock....

I really appreciate you writing to me!:)
Thank you very much!

cultural shock :P you will not feel anything strange , colombo its all good people used to any culture. when it goes to remote villages its ideal to change a dress code a bit , that's all it matter.

Thank you Saptha,

I am not worried about what i should wear but thank you for your reply!:)It's very nice of you Saptha.
It's a bit complicated to express, especially on a forum.
I am really sure Sri Lankan are good people and pretty sure that I will have a nice time in Sri Lanka.

I am going to contact you on your private email address if you don't mind.

Have a nice day!:)
Sandrine

Im Kushan 33 male from colombo. Sri Lanka is a nice place with full of fun, lots of clubs etc etc, Lets get to know each other. I would be able to assist you when you come down to SL.

Any way every thing depends on your interests.........

my email is [email protected]

After living in the UK Sri Lanka will seem like a doddle.

You certainly won't find it hard to meet people in Colombo of all nationalities.

After you have been here a while you probably wont want to go back.  The living standard is good for ex pats.  The country is very beautiful.

Feel free to contact me for any specific advice advice.

Eduard

Hi SandrineGB,

Alliance Francaise, is located at the entrance of the Barns Place, Colombo 07. or rather by the side of the municipal council building (some structure similar to the White House-US). 

Hope you are now in Sri Lanka. Travel Colombo will not cost you a lot. but you can relay on meter tuk tuks in Colombo.

they are a large community spared in the roads of colombo. contact them on 0712 500800 when you are in Sri Lanka. Trust me they offer a very good service at a reasonable price.

hope the info is helpful. Please have very good stay too.

the number i gave has been changed and the new hot line is

sorry for the hassl

http://3wheelslk.blogspot.com/2010/02/blog-post.html

Hi everyone

I am spanish, I have some friends in Sri Lanka, and I am planning to travel there in spring or summer.

I am very interested about everything that has been said in this blog, because I am planning to travel alone.

As a european that has never been there, I would like to contact europeans living in Sri Lanka, to share points of view before coming to visit the country.

Gemma

Dear Girl,Before u go anywhere you have to keep Police station number in your pocket with mobile phone.some people are good,some people are bad.always be careful.bay friend.

I would say its not that scary, Colombo is pretty safe at day time , but for sure its not safe at night to walk alone.

Thanks the two of u for your advices...

I dont plan to go out at night alone if it's not safe. Day time is enough for me!

Thank you

Gemma

Hello again

Let's imagine I have bought a plane ticket to Colombo.

I land at the airport (very long name!). How do I get to Colombo?

Next question. Could you give me the phone numbers or mails of any hostel, it doesnt need to be a very turistic one, not very expensive, just a place where you srilankan people would stay for a few days, to meet some friends and study during the rest of the day...Not very far away from the everyday life in Sri Lanka.

Thank you

Gemma

Hi
Its Bandaranayake International airport , from airport to colombo city it will take aprox 45min airport taxi may cost you 15us$ to 25$, here its hard to find hostel and backpackers lodge but for sure you can find good hotel for inexpensive price. I will PM you some contacts..
have a safe flight u will be fine here :)

Hello Gem

Sri Lanka is a safe place on earth now. And you have not to be concern about natural disasters.

I think the better place to stay is Negombo (Its locate near  Colombo (45min maximum) and to Air port its about 15min) 

You can find (or I'll search and inform later if you want.)very cheap places  (but safe) to stay. You have to spend 8 to 10$ per day for comfortable room with attached bathroom and foods and other things can bye cheap from out side (ex. Drinks, Meals and   bottled water etc)

So if you want more details contact me via my email
[email protected]

OK, my friend

I take note of this useful information. I am not worried about natural disasters...I am convinced I can be safe in SL. I just wish u could explain it my mother...I'm joking ;)

Right now, I am just considering the options. It may take one month or two until I finally decide to come.

Thanks for the reply.

Gemma

Hello Gem

If you decide to come SL contact me via my email. Ill help you in every matters.

[email protected]

Coucou . je suis nouvelle inscrite .
je vis a Lanka , au sud.
Pas de danger pour femmes seules ici.
Il suffit d'etre vetue plutot bien couverte , epaule et jambes, et de ne pas sortir a la nuit tombee dans les quartiers isoles.
Les srilankais ont peur la nuit , car les chiens aboyent car ils voyent passer les esprits malfaisans de la nuit ...
Donc tout le monde au lit !!!
pour les conseils de jeunes hommes bien intentionnes , gaffe souvent cela se transforme en pot de colle, mais bon il y en a de tres sympas.
Si on vous embete vous dites
ATI , comme cela se prononce cela veut dire ASSEZ , ou ca suffit ( ce n'est pas impoli )donc ca peut servir aux chauffeurs de tuk tuk qui ne vous lachent pas ...

Je cherche des francophones installes dans le Sud de l'ile ???
est ce vous ???
PS message perso envoye a Sandrine sur son adresse mail.

Bonjour, mon amie

Enfin une femme! J'ai reçu des conseils très sympas sur ce blog, mais c'est la première femme (probablement européenne) qui me répond.
J'envisage de faire un petit voyage bientôt à Colombo, mais ce n'est pas encore décidé. Pour l'instant, pas l'intention d'y rester, mais il est vrai que je suis au chômage, que je parle plusieurs langues, et on ne sait jamais.
Puis-je demander quelle est ton activité au Sri Lanka? comment se déroule un peu la routine là-bas.
Pour les pots de colle, j'avais deviné ;-) . Mais je trouve que les gens sont plutôt agréables et il suffit de respecter un peu les coutumes.
Merci donc pour le post.
Gemma

Anne SA wrote:

Coucou . je suis nouvelle inscrite .
je vis a Lanka , au sud.
Pas de danger pour femmes seules ici.
Il suffit d'etre vetue plutot bien couverte , epaule et jambes, et de ne pas sortir a la nuit tombee dans les quartiers isoles.
Les srilankais ont peur la nuit , car les chiens aboyent car

thats si vrai, une grande partie de son coffre-fort et idéal pour couvrir un peu, Colombo est bien, mais l'extérieur est le problème.

Hi, Saptha

I must confess I started writing here because I liked your posts.
I see the pictures u put sometimes in Facebook, really incredible ones.
But as u can guess, what most interests me is having an impression of "what do real people in SL do? Are we that different? "
Concerning that, I get a very good feeling...
Thanks for keeping me in touch with SL.
Gemma

haha , that you have to vist and experience , I am sure its nothing much , you will find more friendly people compare to Europe ( no offence to anyone), people are not that materialistic, specially village people more innocent and traditional. i dont know , better not to write more n more , make ur trip,u will find it interesting , if anything wrong we always here for ur support

Hiii

I am Rayan from Colombo and I went through all your past correspondents,actually now you dont have to worry too much because few weeks ago Sri Lanka was selected to the second place to visit on most safe and beautifull contries on the National Geogrphy Chanel,which mean now it's really safe place to visit you.

On other hand hotels are not so expensive,specially 2-3 star hotles are below USD 40 therefore you can enjoy and have good time with very nominal amount,anyway as every body said night time is not safe for going alone but its safe up some extened,so I wish you a good trip and if any thing you required pls message to me on [email protected].

Byee and TC

Hi! First of all you should know that sri lankan people are the most hospitable people you'll ever find in Asia. Next don't think too much cos once you come in you can meet may expats living in colombo and there are so many places that you could indulge urself in nostalgia. Last but not the least there are so many who could give you tips and advice on the happenings in the city. So just be positive and look forward to an amazing adventure in SL.

I am also considering to take a job offer in SL for a 6 months or a year longest..Therefore I have read all your aboce comments, I wonder one thıng that the ones who give positive comments about SL/ Colombo etc are the local residents or expats?
I am sure that SL is a great place as I searched & read....

main thing for me personally to get comments about how expats live there, how they get socilised with locals or other expats, any get togethers organısed by any group or organisation?

What is the food tastes? can I find alternative kitchens like ıtalıan, french, turkish?
thanks to everyone in advance!

Italian yes...(Il Ponte at the Hilton and Regina Marherita on Park Road), French cuisine is also available and can be found at the Spoons restaurant which is also at the Hilton. As far as Turkish cuisine goes.....None that I know of but I have eaten arab food at the Galadari Hotel.

thanks for the adviced Mr. Journey Man! I will take a note sınce I will be there soon :)

Thanks for your answer!

In Colombo, I'll stay in Galle Face Regency Hotel, are there markets/temples/ shopping area near the hotel?

...why you write.. "DO NOT selfdrive" ?

Thanks again

Near Galle face , you can do shopping at MC (Colombo 4) ODEL (union Place , and Petta (little bit over crowded & not recommended for u)
Temples -> Gangaramaya just few mins walk or 3wheel would do or Sambodhi viharaya @ colombo 07.

in case if you face any issue or anything will pm u my number , give me a call anytime
Saptha

Hi,

If you have found a person to help you, no problem. But if you still feel you need more help, please write back to me on [email protected]

Thanks

well in SL i have found the best people and more friedly than any other community and die hard party people specially on weekends i am here from quite some time now and i will must say SL- ROCKS and its gonna be next singapore in ASIA. so no worries when land in SL feel it like home trust on people........ but not in clubs and nights bit risky thats only advice and my experience..... need any help best is police here very helpful.

i think its pretty safe hea. i have travelled a lot in terms of employment. But true, after Singapore i feel Colombo is safe.
strolling alone at night is not advisable. you can book budget taxi's at night for after party scne.
hope to cu ppl arnd sometime.
~cheers~
n!k.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Hi Sandrine,
If you have a Brit of Commonwealth passport, you can join the Association of British Residents. Rs2,500/- annual subs but tons of discounts and nmonthly get togethers. Library service, monthly magazine etc.

Regards

Ian

PS Don't know of Alliance Francaise though