HELP need to get supplements into Ecuador and having problems

Hola all. 

Hoping someone out there may be able to advise or help.  I ordered supplements I need and can't get here from the US and the package is now being sent back to the US.  Something about it being over 4kg and over $400.00.  There was also some question about a doctor's note not being included with the package.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  If so I would really appreciate hearing from you as I really need these specialty supplements.

Thanks so much, Carmen :)

Hi and welcome to Expat.com Carmen !

Your post has been moved to the Ecuador forum for better visibility.
I hope members there will be able to help you out.

Regards
Armand

Right. 4kg and $400 is the limit for the Ecuadorian postal service.  Someone from the states once tried to send us a package that was over 4kg via the US postal service to Correos del Ecuador.  In order to receive a package larger than 4kg, we would have had to fill out some request to get permission to be importers/exporters.  It would have taken a lot of paperwork and time.  The package sat in Quito for a month and then was sent back to the states.

However, someone else sent a package via the private shipping company DHL and it was over 4kg.  It arrived with no problem, We had to pay an import tax based on the declared value of the package. The shipping cost was very expensive.

I think you may have to try again, but either with a lighter weight or different company.  Ask whomever is sending it to declare the value of the package under its actual value. For example, if the box is worth $100, have the sender declare it for only $30.  This will save you some money when you have to pay the import tax to pick it up. This import tax applies for both private and government run delivery services.

I'm not sure about supplement regulations specifically, but my wife did have one bottle of iron pills and some vitamins included in a package without trouble.

Hola all.

I finally received my supplements.

Keep the package under the 4X4 rule and all is smooth.

We included a doctors note in Spanish as required but they never even opened the package to see it. Not saying this couldn't happen so its advisable to follow the rules and have a doctors note accompany any drug or supplement package. I can tell you that delays for not following the rules are very long here.

We had the package addressed to General delivery in my name here in Cuenca and it went smoothly.

We were able to track the package on line and see when it cleared customs.  Armed with a piece of paper with the tracking number and my name on it as well as a copy of my passport we picked up the package.

The stated value was $100.00 and the customs fee was $5.00.

Hope this helps.

Obtain a Ecuadorian doctors script or letter that these are needed and not available there. Everyone is right break your inbound shipments down to 4 lbs or less and pay the $5 bucks.
Do you or anyone you know have military folks in Columbia, Peru or Ecuador? If so, END OF PROBLEM.