Advice for starting a career in Law

Hi everybody, actually i'm not looking for any jobs, instead i would like to know which career would be best to choose so that i can later on get a job quite easily in Mauritius. Well i'm a student, waiting for my HSC results this year. My question is that: Will there be job prospects for solicitors in Mauritius in a 6-7 years?or should better choose to study to be a barrister?badly need help....i'm very confused :(

A law degree teaches you a lot of skills - reading, writing, communication, analytical etc. So it would be useful for any employer.  However with so many wannabes flocking to become solicitors and barristers for status reasons, I think this market will always be fiercely competitive and therefore anyone pursuing this route will need to be exceptionally gifted to withstand the competition (esp considering lots of people applying for roles have degrees from abroad).  It would be useful if you knew people in the profession - having contacts could mean getting valuable work experience to enable you to decide properly.

To get a job easily in Mauritius in the legal profession, well don't count on it if you don't have someone who can open doors for you .

After all they  practice either criminal law or family law with some ,with degrees from the UK and/or France, delving in "constitutional law"  or they run to the QB to sort things out :D

Don't know where you want to do your studies ( I believe that UOM is not that  expansive in their syllabus/curricula) but there are many law steams for professionals:

• Corporate/Commercial Law - involves organizing businesses, mostly contracts,liability, or intellectual property.
• Tax Law - generally involves assisting businesses with their taxes and advising clients and individuals about tax loopholes.
• Intellectual Property Law - is the law of copyrights, trademarks, and patents
• Family Law - involves arranging for people's day to day family issues, such as adoption,divorce, and wills.
• Criminal Law – used in the cases where people commit crimes
• Constitutional Law - involves matters pertaining to individual rights and the division of powers in the govt.
• Civil Litigates - deal mostly with claims involving wrongdoing: tort law, and contracts.
• International Law – involves working with multinational corporations and dealing
with international issues such as human rights.
• General Practitioners – perform a variety of tasks for individual, smaller clients
• Labour/Employment Law - From a management perspective, labour lawyers advise their clients (employers) on employment law such as working conditions, wrongful dismissal etc. From a labour perspective, labour lawyers work with individuals, or unions advising members how to pursue various claims
• Environmental law – Work towards public, corporate and government interests regardingthe environment

Hope this is helpful as to what you foresee as a career

thanks a lot!your advice was very useful ;)