Close

Be Prepared - 2010 - A tough year ahead in Ukraine

Tomorrow (17 January 2010) is election day for the next president of Ukraine.
Whoever wins in the final run off on 7 February, it will NOT make much difference to the economy in Ukraine.
The economy is in a very bad state. It will take a long time for Ukraine to come out of the financial crisis.

So, if you are thinking of coming to live here or continue living here. THINK. Will it be easy/easier for you to live and work here?

Here are some of the pros and cons from my point of view:
(I have lived here for 6 years)

Pros (Positives)
1. I own my own apartment (Sorry, WE own our own apartment)in the city centre of Kyiv. There is no way I could afford to buy an apartment in the city centre of London for example.

2. The cost of utilities is very low. Water, gas, telephones etc are VERY low priced compared to the rest of Europe.

3. There is never a dull moment if you follow politics or work in the business community.

Cons (Negatives)
1. Corruption is still a major problem in Ukraine. You will not get much done unless you agree to pay bribes to just about everyone you come in contact with.

2. If you live in the city centre of Kyiv, you will find the good quality restaurants,bars etc to be more expensive than other European cities.

3. If you live here and remain a non-resident, you will always be treated like a second class citizen. Plus Ukrainians are racists.

4. If you do not have a job to come to in Ukraine, you WILL find it difficult finding a job in the current climate.

I would be interested to find out WHY people really want to come and live/work here?