Residence status

I hope someone can offer me some advice regarding obtaining Residence Status in Romania.

I'll try to be brief, although the situation has become complicated.

I have been teaching at a local establishment since September 2012, however there has been an ongoing problem regarding payment / contract issues. Initially, no contract was offered. When there were payment difficulties, I was able to continue working and support myself while they were 'sorting it out'
The upshot is that I have now been offered an ongoing 'monthly' contract which, I am assured, gets over the issue of me not yet having residence status (and payment was finally made)

My questions are:

(1) Will a 'Monthly' contract along with Proof of address be sufficient for applying to get residence?

(2) Surely, having continued to teach (in order to secure payment) for BEYOND 90 days has seriously compromised my situation?

I'll admit that getting information has been far harder than I expected, and this is why, through all the set-backs, I have stuck at it.. to try and resolve it (as well as not wishing to abandon the students I've made progress with!)

I'm aware of the official residence requirements, but have repeatedly been assured that it was not a problem. I should have questioned things earlier!

Hopefully I can begin to sort out the confusion, with a little help.

Thanks

M

Hello countrylad.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll get some useful informations soon.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi,

Looking at your profile, I'm guessing your English and therefore an EU citizen. If so, then you can get your residency certificate without a work contract. It really only takes a day to register and it's enough to show them a bank statement with 125 RON in your account, and the other docs (proof of address etc).

You really should have done this before the 3 months was up whatever crap the school fed you. I'm not sure exactly what'll happen now that you've stayed beyond the 90 days, but I don't suppose it'll be too serious, or maybe even nothing.

Anyway, get registered and then it's up to you whether and when you sort out your work contract and on what basis it'll be (monthly or whatever). You won't have to worry about registering residency for another 5 years.

Thanks Maykal!
Your help is appreciated so much.
Yes, I'm a UK citizen. I had been told (wrongly, obviously)that I needed a contract to prove I work here... hence I've wasted valuable time in fighting for that, as well as trying to get paid!
(My mistake..at least, I should have joined this blog sooner!)

I shall try to get residency status immediately, (my only worry being, as you say, I've exceeded the 90 days, I pray it will be OK)

Thanks again Maykal

All the best

David

Hi David,

There are loads of different ways to get the residence certificate. The one you want to do, as you don't have a work contract, is the one for people who are going to stay here by supporting themselves financially. Do you have a Romanian bank account set up? If not, get your passport and go to whatever bank you like, open an account, stick a few hundred lei in it, and ask for an 'extras de cont'.

Once you have that, you can go to the immigration office near Piata Romana and apply for the residency certificate. You'll also need some other stuff: your passport plus copies, your proof of residency (rental contract works), some photos, a tax stamp that you get from the post office, and proof of health insurance. I think that's it. You can also download the form in advance from the MAE's site.

Once you've submitted it, you can pick up the certificate that afternoon, or the next day, or whenever. It's pretty easy these days (compared to pre-2007!)

Good luck!
Mike

I say Piata Romana, but maybe you're not in Bucharest, but I guess you can find out where to go to apply.

Hi again Mike.
Thanks for that. I have an OTP account...address, passport etc.
My (UK) health insurance has just expired, so I need to get that... Can I easily get a local insurance rather than the expensive UK-based policy?

Dave

Yeah, local insurance is fine. You only need to prove you have insurance for the month that you apply for the certificate. When I applied, I got a one-month private health insurance from BCR. I think it cost about 20 quid or something, so not that cheap, but it did the job. The only think was that I had to get them to clarify on the insurance policy that it was residency insurance, not travel insurance, or something like that. Anyway, the MAE accepted it without complaint.

If I remember right, the only reason I chose BCR was because it was just down the road and I wanted to get it all sorted that day. I suppose you can get it from plenty of other places.

I'm in Targu Mures

Nice. I have a country house in Mures country, about 90 mins drive from Targu Mures. Lovely area of the country. I'm planning to move there one day. Beats the city.

Does the UK E111 National Insurance card suffice for Health Insurance? I thought there were reciprocal arrangements between the two countries.

Uk want to go out from Europe.I.e if UK citizen are coming back from Spain to Uk is because this agreement doesn't exist either for Spain or Romania

Hi there.

The information given with my E111 states that it doesn't count as recognised health insurance. Furthermore, a Romanian doctor tells me that as a UK citizen, in the case of a medical 'emergency' the E111 entitles me to 'up to 72 hours (3 days) of emergency cover and no more.

Hope this is of some use

Dave

When I got my residency I got my health insurance from the CSA. I need to renew my buletin next year and also apply for citzenship. I would so love to avoid the nightmare that is the Deva CSA office. I see that you got your health insurance from BCR, do banks issue health insurance?

Thanks,

Mary Mocanu

countrylad wrote:

I hope someone can offer me some advice regarding obtaining Residence Status in Romania.

I'll try to be brief, although the situation has become complicated.

I have been teaching at a local establishment since September 2012, however there has been an ongoing problem regarding payment / contract issues. Initially, no contract was offered. When there were payment difficulties, I was able to continue working and support myself while they were 'sorting it out'
The upshot is that I have now been offered an ongoing 'monthly' contract which, I am assured, gets over the issue of me not yet having residence status (and payment was finally made)

My questions are:

(1) Will a 'Monthly' contract along with Proof of address be sufficient for applying to get residence?

(2) Surely, having continued to teach (in order to secure payment) for BEYOND 90 days has seriously compromised my situation?

I'll admit that getting information has been far harder than I expected, and this is why, through all the set-backs, I have stuck at it.. to try and resolve it (as well as not wishing to abandon the students I've made progress with!)

I'm aware of the official residence requirements, but have repeatedly been assured that it was not a problem. I should have questioned things earlier!

Hopefully I can begin to sort out the confusion, with a little help.

Thanks

M

have y got the residence permit ..or you need more info ?

BCR does not do insurance anymore > Omniasig and others still do
this would be a private healt policy and does not compare to CNAS (state run health insurance)
it is easy and cheap to get IF only for residence

http://ori.mai.gov.ro/detalii/pagina/en … identei/63

Just got residency in Sibiu. Took the full bank statement, passport, 6 lei tax stamp from the Primeria, tenancy agreement & E111 health insurance card. no problem whatsoever. No one asked for private health insurance & we haven't got any. They just photocopied the passport & E111. A lot of worrying for nothing. Perhaps they are pleased to see expats!!

E111 is health insurance for them...and in Bucarest was 20ron stamp but diferent case/application type ...depends of motives for residency. Just as well you got it ...so..see you around