I have a english speeking son 10 .any suggestion for school?

I am moving to germany in one week with my son .he is 10 years old and speeks english no german at all .is there anyone with the same situation? is he going to learn german in public school ?do they help him to learn ?
I really appreciated if anyone give me some information .
Thank you
helen

Hi Helen!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

My son want to study automobile engineering in germany. Please suggest me the collage details and the cost of compleate course.

My daughter is also in the same situation. You have to fin a school that teaches German. They put her in this special class with others like her and then slowly move her into the regular gean classes. Sorry for late response. I think you are in Stuttgart already. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask me

Been there, done that and I am sure the school will make all the effort to help your son through this transition.

I moved to Germany with my 10 year old daughter 12 years ago.  She spoke no German.  She started out at a public school in Mönchengladbach which had introduced a system for taking children with little to no German (she was the only English speaker though) and they had a class system set up to manage this.  They had extra lessons for fast track learning the language and they did all the other subjects in German.  Once they had learnt enough German they were then merged into the normal classes.

However, we got posted to France after 4 months where she tried out a French/English international school but did not like the French teaching approach (many French children struggle too I read).  Luckily the gymnasium just across the border were happy to take her but in the year below her age group because of her limited German.  This school did not have previsions for non native speaking children but were great in organizing extra German tuition for her and gave her loads of support.  After a year they here happy enough to even let her effectively jump a year so she could then carry on with her age group.

I felt that German schools have a much more effective approach to learning languages than English schools which helped a huge amount.

She finally did her abitur in a German school in Portugal where she had the option of changing to an English school if she wanted but was happy to continue in German.  That said she then chose to go to University in London.  For the lifestyle rather than the language I hasten to add.  The UK Universities had no issue with taking the abitur as a qualifying qualification for entry.

Best wishes to you and your son.

That is great information. As my daughter is wanting to go to London as well after she graduates. It always helps to read others stories so she knows she isn't alone.

My daughter chose to go to London for University before she even had any idea what she even wanted to study so she had to decide what to study rather than where :)  Your daughter should hopefully be happy that doing her schooling in Germany will create no issue with going on to university in London if that is what she wants to do.

helensk wrote:

I am moving to germany in one week with my son .he is 10 years old and speeks english no german at all .is there anyone with the same situation? is he going to learn german in public school ?do they help him to learn ?
I really appreciated if anyone give me some information .
Thank you
helen

I moved here 2 years ago with my 3 x 10 year olds.  They had no German.... the school gave them extra german lessons and their religion lesson fell away and was replaced with more german.  Also they provided extra german lessons during the school holidays.

I am sure the school will assist.

Let me know if you need any further

It is my understanding he will need, or be assigned a tutor for the first few weeks. I have not had a child in a similar situation, but have spoken with other Americans here about their experience in such circumstances. Children pick up the language very quickly.

Hi Helen,
I have three English speaking girls and we moved from Singapore
To Germany three years ago. I can say that
Your son will definitely need tutoring to be able to study
All subjects in German.
Dependent  on where you live, you may be able
To find a school that gives some subjects in German, and some
In English and the international schools give all classes in English.
Look on the Internet for lists of schools for English speaking students.
Start researching now as you want to make this transition
As easy as possible on your son.

Hi Helen, I am not sure if you have had any replies, but as you may have found out by now that the children are super fast learner s and he will pick this up in no time at all. I am not sure where in Germany you are though, I have moved to Heidleberg and a few schools we looked at requested that my children speak German for entry, which they do, but we opted for the International school which has English as a 1st language and German as a secon. I found this to be a a good transition into the culture. Hope you settled in well.
Nür Heitz