Beware - Parvovirus

Parvovirus does exist in Mauritius, contrary to what some people think and some irresponsible breeders may tell you. http://humanesocietynevis.org/deadly-parvovirus/

Please beware when buying or adopting a young puppy that its vaccinations are up to date. By 10 weeks they should have had 2 shots and a third shot by the time they're 3 months old to be inoculated from the virus.

We have just lived the most harrowing experience. A week ago, Wednesday, we picked up our beautiful German Shepherd puppy from a breeder in Triolet, who was recommended by the vet. They had only taken the dogs for one round of shots and deworming and missed the second round, telling us that we should take the dog to see the vet soon. Unknown to us, the puppy had already contracted the virus at the kennel and within a couple of days he went from a happy, lively puppy to very, very sick and frail indeed. Parvovirus attacks the intestines, causing haemorrhaging and there is little to no chance of survival in young pups. We noticed he was a little lethargic on Saturday and Sunday he stopped eating, he spent Monday and Tuesday on an IV drip. The vet confirmed it was Parvo. Last night, Tuesday, he died.

We called up the kennel to warn them that the other pups might be in danger. We were told that they weren't showing signs of the virus. We went past the place today, no one was around, not even the dogs!

Now we can only speculate. I'm not sure if this is the right medium to warn pet-lovers of the dangers due to "hobby breeders" who can't be bothered to take the necessary steps to ensure an animal has a healthy future, but I just couldn't stand the thought of anyone else having to go through the same ordeal. Unfortunately, we can't even consider having another dog now as I've heard that Parvovirus can infect the soil and ground for up to 18 months...

I am so very sorry for your loss mishkj it is a dreadful experience to have had to endure.  Unfortunately there are quite a number of "backyard" breeders in Mauritius who are primarily looking to make money breeding puppies. Do you know if the breeder is registered? It is illegal to sell puppies if they are not registered.  I hope you will be able to find a way to adopt a new puppy soon, perhaps from somewhere like PAWS.

There are so many bad breeders around - just in it to make money with no thought or proper care for the breeding female or the pups- it makes me so angry.

You must inform the MSPCA with the name and address of this breeder - only they can stop this if they have no licence.

I do feel very sorry for you and your little puppy - such a sad time for you.

Speak to a vet to confirm but I am sure if you get another dog that is fully up to date with all it's vaccinations then all will be OK if you follow the guidelines given by your vet.

I have found this site very interesting reading:
http://voices.yahoo.com/parvo-importanc … -2680.html

Paws is full of adult dogs and puppies all looking for loving chain free homes - in fact you can ring them for advice from one of their vets even if you don't want to take a dog from there.

Again sorry for your loss ;(