Expat Meeting

Hello everyone!

I am quite new in HCMC and was wondering if there where any expat meetings to exchange experiences. I have vietnamese origins, but born and raised in Germany. Currently I am doing an internship in HCMC. So please let me know about any meetings.

FYI I would also be interested in vietnamese lessons in groups for people like me (only speaking vietnamese, not able to write nor read).

Regards,

Yen

Hi Yen,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hi Yen

If you have any plan, pls send me a msg. I'd love to join in.

Welcome here,

I am also new here and a little bit confused! I would be also really happy about an expat meeting!:)

Hello all,

I would be in if any meeting ;) I am French with Vietnamese origin :)

Hope to see you soon

Jean

Since there seem to be a lot of newcomers...

What about dinner next tuesday about 7 pm. I don't know where to eat, maybe some of you know a nice place?

Yen

Hello Yen,

there is a meeting of the german community every last wednesday of the month at Brotzeit organized by the GBA (German Business Organisation).

[moderated, no free advertising please]

I will be happy if you visit me there.

Cheers

DB

Hi everyone,
Expat meeting is a interesting idea, but I think  you should make a group that includes Vietnamese in HCMC and expatriate. So that, there have no cultural  and  language difference anymore and it makes the meeting more interesting and helpful, I think so. For me, I also would like to join with you.
To expatriate, you can receive anything help about everything you need for living in HCMC. We're Vietnamese and  have lived in HCMC for a long time, therefore, we know a lot about things you need to live and work here.
To people like me, we ‘d like to learn new things from you such as about culture, language,…
I had a group like that before, but almost my friends came back their home. We had a coffee talk on weekends, used to travel together, help each others at all we can,.. These are interesting. But the thing I would like to say that: we're friends first of all.
How do you think about my idea? Give me your opinion.
Hoa

eat or coffee ?
If you're looking for coffee, there are many popular coffee shop,such as Starbucks ( crowded,always ), The coffee been, Gloria Jeans, ...
Or just have some beers on Pham Ngu Lao Street ...

It is a meet up on tuesday (also for expats). Leave me a message if you're interested. But you can always look meetup(dot)com

I would be interested in such things as long as people meet at affordable places and not some upper class expensive restaurant/bar that is way beyond my price range, something that put me off other meets I seen advertised here, they seemed more geared towards rich people and vietnamese woman who want a rich boyfriend, but then this place does seem to be somewhat of a rich kids playground. Lot of people here living off mummy and daddy back home.

You can get a decent meal for 5 dollars and beer or juice for 50-75cents in most places so why would I want to go to some places that charge 10-20 dollars for a meal and 5 dollars a drink?? Last few expat meets I seen it advertised seemed exactly like that and its put me right off, but I live in hope to meet some decent normal western people, something which is actually pretty hard tbh. Im not an alcoholic or a sex addict, or a rich kid with no qualms with money, are there any normal people actually out there?? lol

truongthanhtam212 wrote:

eat or coffee ?
If you're looking for coffee, there are many popular coffee shop,such as Starbucks ( crowded,always ), The coffee been, Gloria Jeans, ...

This is what im talking about in my post, vietnam has some of the best coffee in the world, get a decent coffee for 15000 why would I go to some flashy cafe and pay 5 dollars for a lower quality coffee?? Its insane and well I wont be joining the hipsters in their corporate holes, sorry for ranting just pisses me off lol

Hello Yen, And big thank to "Broomptish", that right is many coffe shop in vietnam is beautiful and cheap : 15000vnd. so we can make a meet in vietnam, I'm living in Vietnam , can i join your party?

Broomptish wrote:
truongthanhtam212 wrote:

eat or coffee ?

This is what im talking about in my post, vietnam has some of the best coffee in the world, get a decent coffee for 15000 why would I go to some flashy cafe and pay 5 dollars for a lower quality coffee?? Its insane and well I wont be joining the hipsters in their corporate holes, sorry for ranting just pisses me off lol

No no,they are just some examples ab coffee shop which everyone know so we can easily find .
My parents also have a coffee shop for many years so I really how good Vietnamese coffee is . If you have free time, how ab trying my parents' coffee ?
wanna have some local coffee ,or a cup of my parents' coffee ? Just send me a message, I'll take you some unique coffee shop !
I just cant understand what are you talking ab "m not an alcoholic or a sex addict, or a rich kid with no qualms with money, are there any normal people actually out there?? lol "
Sorry but really ? Hanging out together and have one , only one bottle of beer is just the same as a cup of coffee , so why are you so seriuos ~.~ ?

Sorry if I said anything wrong , but I'm not kinda "a rich kid with no qualms with money" .

Didnt say you were just the idea of highlands coffee or starbucks turns me off straight away and if you read my post my point is kinda clear.

Is anything going to be planned for Tuesday to meet-up? Similar to some of the others, I would prefer a local Vietnamese coffee place. Vietnamese coffee is much better.

Since this is going back and forth all the time...

How about meeting at Cho Ben Thanh tomorrow 6 pm and then we'll look for some nice place?

Just post a quick 'ok' or 'i'm in' so that I won't be standing there like a total idiot on my own.

I wanna join this meeting. My phone number is 0932119384, please text me a message for appointment.

Ok, But i finish my work at 6pm so i'll be there around 6.30 pm. May i have you phone number? I'll call you when i get there.

Precision: Tomorrow 6 pm at the PARK at Ben Thanh Market. This way, it'll be easier.

Please post a quick "ok" or "I'm in"!

Ok. But how do we realize you?
You should have a sign or something like that.
Hoa

Ok. please give us your mobile phone so we can easily contact to you

Darn. I'm out this time around. I have a prior engagement. I hope to meet you all at the next meet-up. :)

Please don't take this as an offense, but I would like to keep this meeting rather small. Since nobody knows each other I think it would be more easier if the expats meet first and we'll meet up with the rest of you by any other chance.

Thats ok Yen, since you are the one setting up this meeting!! Hope you guys have a great night!! See you next time!!

Ok, that will be great. I'm looking for that long time ago. The Place is BenThanh Park ,at 6 pm, Tuesday?

All my co-workers are expat. Can I bring them? :)

Sure!

Ok thanks :) Let me talk to them

One more fit in? :)
Blue jeans black Lee Cooper shirt fat white guy ;)

Since it's all a bit messy, I guarantee for nothing.

Hi Christine,

Can you solve the "problem" of existing "Ho Chi Minh City" and "Saigon" at the same time? It is messy a bit, confusing people. Can you put them together? UNder the name e.g. "Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)" - or some similar?

Would be cool, smiley
Y

Ymel bit off topic for this thread, why don't you post it here:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 99#1091969

Gives you a little more infomation on the subject also.

sorry, i thought i just replied to the administrator.. but didnt..

How can me relize all of people??? The Park at Ben Thanh market is big,and the people is busy, what is the street we wil meet together? sorry because i have many problem :(. If you come there, please wait me because maybe i will search some minutes around Park.

welcome!

Hello everyone, i wanna know what about meeting, yesterday? do you meet together and what happen?

Hey ! i came to hcmc a week ago... so lonely... would love to meet friends here... im half vietnamese and half finnish...

welcome to saigon. drop me a message and we can hang out. where about do u live in sgn?

... if you are in Nha Trang - we could have some fun ... I arrived 3 months ago as well ... was for 2 in Mui Ne ... ;)