6 month opportunity.... Advice PLEASE

Hi, I have been offered the opportunity to go to the Bahrain office for 6months. I'm quite nervous about going but have to make my decision ASAP.
Does anyone have any thoughts of what it would be like for a Jewish person to go to Bahrain for 6 months. and Also, I know it's silly but what about the Internet/ tv out there. For example could I watch net flicks online or is that blocked? I also wanted to ask how safe it is out there generally for young (25 yrs old) girls and if u think it is a good career opportunity to go out there?

If u don't mind answering my questions, please can u reply asap. Grateful for any advice

there are some bahraini nationals who are jewish,
they even have their synagogue to practice their religion

That's cool. So shouldn't be too problematic. Also thank you for replying

Its as safe as London..u dont need to worry about anything.. hope u will have a good time here..

Being Jewish is not a problem, but as far as I know, they don't let anyone in if you have a stamp from Israel on your passport. If this is the case, I would speak to your employer.

And what about the Internet? How screened/monitored is it?

You can watch Netflix. Some websites are blocked, but for those you can use VPN.

In fact, for Netflix, it is not blocked but you might need a UK VPN and connect to Netflix through as they may be blocking access from outside the UK for licensing restrictions they have with studios. On the Internet side, just make sure you get a good connection. Usually the speed is ok but on some buildings where the connection is shared across everyone in the building, you might have problems streaming it. If this becomes the case, you can get a connection from VIVA or some other company.

As for the monitoring of the connection, well, I don't know the exact answer to that. Nobody knows. If you are worried, use VPN all the time.

Thank you SO so much. It's so nice of you to reply and give me this information. I really appreciate. Just worried about coming out on my own so wanted to make sure I could at least watch movies if I get lonely lol. Thank you again

I can assure you, you will not get bored :) As long as you are willing to meet people, people are friendly here and they will welcome you.

Assuming you are coming soon, it gets terribly terribly hot here during summer. Something out of this world I tell you. Everywhere is airconditioned here but don't expect nice long (or even short) walks during summer.

Hi there, I am not in Bahrain yet but I imagine it would be a great opportunity and look fantastic on your résumé. I think you would really enjoy it, good luck and let us know how you go.

brightonguy wrote:

Being Jewish is not a problem, but as far as I know, they don't let anyone in if you have a stamp from Israel on your passport. If this is the case, I would speak to your employer.

Hi brightonguy,
Just want to highlight my situation against your quote , I had a similar doubt , Im Indian national and planning to move to Bahrain in April first week , before this i have traveled to Israel twice on business visa and have stamp on my passport , so i was wondering if i get visa or not , when started browsing the net i got contrast response but to my expectations nothing happened and i got successful employment visa from LMRA , do you still think that they can create problem on boarder control ?
just FYI , after Israel trip i worked on Dubai too on employment visa without any issue.

Appreciate any input.

Well, I am only referring to what has been said to me and what I read on their website. I still think it is up to the discretion of the officer at the border control. Should he sees a stamp from Israel on your passport, I think he has a right to not to let you in.

hi Toni,
statistically speaking, bahrain is safer than most of europe.

regarding single young women, from a hands on experience, we have been hosting few girls in our house for few months (part of a cultural exchange program) they go out at night and no one has ever made any negative comment on security issue.

in a lovely country like bahrain, loneliness is not the rule here (unless it is self imposed), people (locals and expats) here are very friendly.

our last two guests from france loved their experiences here (17/20 years).

im sure you will love the island.
Tariq,

brightonguy wrote:

Well, I am only referring to what has been said to me and what I read on their website. I still think it is up to the discretion of the officer at the border control. Should he sees a stamp from Israel on your passport, I think he has a right to not to let you in.

Is it ? Can some one in this forum help us with some reliable information on this , if what you are saying is correct, then i would be worrying a lot as i am leaving my job over here and planning to come there for long term.
can you please help with the link which you are referring . Im really worrying now.

I have never seen anything official written but know for a fact that a friend with an Israel stamp in his passport could not get a visa to Saudi Arabia or Lebanon in 2010. I am not sure if Bahrain is the same but there have been well publicised cases in other middle eastern countries.

silver356 wrote:

I have never seen anything official written but know for a fact that a friend with an Israel stamp in his passport could not get a visa to Saudi Arabia or Lebanon in 2010. I am not sure if Bahrain is the same but there have been well publicised cases in other middle eastern countries.

Thanks silver356 for your reply , even i heard the similer thing about Saudi and Iran and few more countries , i also confirmed this from my employer and they said that its shouldnt be an issue , But honestly not getting an official response. I wrote to Indian embassy in Bahrain but they didnt reply me. Im really worrying as im planning for big move and already on notice period with my current job.

Got a link :)http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic- … hrain.html

hoping to get some concrete help/information quickly

I feel for you, it is very stressful but it sounds like your new employer has dealt with this before so I would go with what they are saying and trust that it will work in your favour.

I am not saying it will happen, what I am saying is the border control has a right not to let you in if they see a Israel stamp on your passport. I am outside now so I can't find you the link on my phone, but a quick search on Google will give you several examples where even a minister was declined entry to Bahrain because he had a stamp from Israel on his passport. What I am saying is should this happen at the border control, you can't go and say "but I've got an employment visa" from a company X because during the employment process, they don't check all stamped pages.

This doesn't apply to Bahrain only. It is the same across all GCC countries. I just wanted to warn you, that's all.

In regards to the stamp and passport issue why don't you call the Bahrain embassy. I did before my move and they were very helpful and told me exactly what I had to do. There may be a local office in your country. I cannot advise in regards to the stamp personally as I am from UK and have no passport stamps - I got a new passport two weeks before travelling.

In regards to internet ask landlord or company to provide you with a "Menatelecom" box. This is a stand alone box, needs no telephone line and runs at about 9GB/sec. It costs 40BD a month (contract) for unlimited use and downloads.

I will private message you on other advise on internet etc.

I will try to Bahrain Embassy in India tomorrow and see what they respond.

Good idea. It would also be very useful for others in the future if you could post as to what the embassy say.

Good luck, I hope all goes well for you. I don't know how quickly you can a new passport in India but I hope this doesn't stop you being able to take this opportunity.

Josnuggles wrote:

Good idea. It would also be very useful for others in the future if you could post as to what the embassy say.

Good luck, I hope all goes well for you. I don't know how quickly you can a new passport in India but I hope this doesn't stop you being able to take this opportunity.

Horrible response , i didnt expect this at all . they said "Since we didnt issue visa for you so we cant say , speak to your employer and tell them everything and then let them deal with this , there is definitely some problem" , i already told them they i already conveyed it to them , person replied that they might have not understood you well so just check it again. :(

Is there any way you can get a new passport from your embassy? That way you fix any potential errors.

brightonguy wrote:

Is there any way you can get a new passport from your embassy? That way you fix any potential errors.

I wrote to my employer again ( last time when i wrote, they said with the company of that stature( Y K Almoyyad)  it shouldn't me a problem)
Im planning to act according to their response.

Thanks for all your wishes and information :)

Hope all goes well for you. If you can get a new passport then do it. Could save a lot of problems. Also remember to have offer letter and any other docs from your employer with you when you get to Bahrain customs

Josnuggles wrote:

Hope all goes well for you. If you can get a new passport then do it. Could save a lot of problems. Also remember to have offer letter and any other docs from your employer with you when you get to Bahrain customs

Thanks Josnuggles, my employer has asked me to send the Israel visa pages of passport to them and told that they will get back to me by next week. finger crossed :) . if its works then fine otherwise i will try to get new passport.

Send them all the pages with visas. Including the ones show that you worked in the UAE.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Hey akhil004, any news with your work?

Guys,
some good news :) , My new employer has gone back to authorities again along with my visa pages and confirmed me back that there wont be any problem.

Thanks for all your help/wishes , looking forward to see you all !

akhil004 wrote:

Guys,
some good news :) , My new employer has gone back to authorities again along with my visa pages and confirmed me back that there wont be any problem.

Thanks for all your help/wishes , looking forward to see you all !

That is great news, I bet you are really relieved.

Look forward to seeing you soon

Hi Friends,

Finally got in to Bahrain with same passport :) , didn't find anything unusual  except that after seeing my Israel visa pages the passport control officer finished remaining formalities and went to a cabin to discuss with somebody ( probably his boss) and asked me to wait , after couple of mins he came out,  handed over my passport and LMRA document to me and asked me to proceed . so looks like he himself was not 100% sure.
Anyways , its settled down , currently living in temp accommodation in Juffair and started hunting for a nice family apartment before getting my family over here.

Regards,
Akhil

Congrats Akhil, glad you made it without any trouble!

silver356 wrote:

Congrats Akhil, glad you made it without any trouble!

Thanks Silver :)