Converting US License in Doha

Hi,

Can someone please confirm that the US license can/can not be converted to Qatar license? I am finding mixed information even from authorities and government websites.  I have a valid California USA license and I have been here for almost three weeks now.  Can I rent a car on US License.  If I do need to get Qatar license from scratch, do I need to just take an exam or also the school? Short classes or full length classes?

I am asking specifically for US license since many European and Canadian licenses can be easily converted to Qatar License.  Any help/insight on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

hi,

yes you need to take exam, both written and drive the course. before you take a test you need to have resident permit
so the way to drive in between is the international driving licence as issued by AAA, btw taxis are plenty full and less expensive than in usa

good luck

Thank you sir for all the info and yes loving the cabs and they come very handy. Just want to get a license since  have to drive during course of my working hours to the project sites where I can't find cabs and to get company cars I would need the license.

Do I also need to attend traffic school?

Did you find out any additional information in this process.  I also have my US license along with my International License.  I suspect that between the two I can drive legally in Qatar until I have the chance to get the Qatari version.

Also, did you have to show a letter from your sponsor or your resident permit to get a license?  I travel in and out of Doha so frequently that I have neither (never needed it), but don't want there to be an issue if I were to get stopped while driving.

...And did you determine that you need to take test/courses?  Or were you able to simply convert?  Please advise.  Thanks!

-Erik

What "jstyp" mentioned above is correct. They used to convert US driving license to Qatari but, not anymore for some reason that I don't know. But you can Still drive or, use your US License here under one condition which only under Visitor Visa. However, if you apply for RP then you can't use your US license anymore and, you have to get Qatari license.

Most hire places will rent you a car for only 2 weeks on an international license - then you are required to go to the Traffic Office and get a temporary license (cost about QR150 and some mucking around) which will then be valid until your visa expires. On renewal of the visa you can then get another temporary licence.

If your company has already started RP processing you can't gain a temporary licence, so they won't rent you a car - my husband, who has a GCC licence from elsewhere as well as from home, was not allowed to rent a car more than 2 weeks with that GCC licence either! So get a temporary licence before they start the RP processing!

Once you have the RP you need to convert to a Qatari licence - my suggestion is that you present yourself to the Traffic office at Madinat Khalifa with your US licences and see what the Reception guys say - you may be able to directly convert your US licence without needing to do any testing. I understand they change the rules fairly regularly so this would probably cause the least hassle - and you might be lucky!

Thanks for the information.  I have always been on a visitor visa, but I travel often enough that it has never been a problem and have a car I can use.  I drive presently on my US and International licenses, but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't in some sort of Catch .22 "gray area" which is so often the case for Western Expats in Qatar.

I will continue driving happily along on my International license and visitor visa.  Glad it won't be a problem.

gents, do u need to convert a UAE licence?

@alex.del.piero1008 > this is an old topic. You should start a new thread with an introduction on the Doha forum.

Can we bring our truck from US to Qatar?If so how and is it practical to do it?

You will land paying heavy tax for importing and exporting from the states. With the cost amount of export and import you can easily buy a new vehicle in Qatar.

Motherof5 wrote:

Can we bring our truck from US to Qatar?If so how and is it practical to do it?

Thank you for a prompt and valuable response,Wilson.